1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Why 512 Presets?

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx III Discussion' started by EricP1954, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Cliff? o_O

2. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Anyone who has purchased the @austinbuddy Naked preset pack!

I'm also really starting to get annoyed with people who complain about something just because they don't use it. Who really needs 259 amp models? Who really needs 12 flavors of reverb? Don't want it? Don't use it!

Sorry to unleash this on my reply to you, but it's really starting to become irritating the number of posts like this that have cropped up in spades since the Axe Fx III announcement... :(

3. 54321pj

54321pj
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Personally, I understand the folk who think this is a slight step backwards - I agree, and would have automatically thought the 3 will be a step forward in EVERY aspect. After all, I think physical memory is relatively cheap to add in this day and age.
    I dont expect the 3 to have ANY memory restrictions long term.... If you want to purchase it then there should be a way of adding it via a usb or SD card slot to suit EVERYBODY.

4. Rick

Rick
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Darn, I guess I'll have to pare down my 513 preset stage setup. Bummer. :tonguewink:

I'm looking forward to the channel function, it sounds like a huge deal to me. Honestly, the XL+ never broke a sweat covering what I do but it will be a lot of fun playing through the III when it arrives.

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Just because i have spent 1K in IRs does not mean Fractal hast to have 15K free slots for my IR investment. choose the ones you like and most likely use and transfer them, why have them ALL in the unit?

6. Jul

Jul
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Come on now ... it reads 512 "whopping presets" - the difference is to be found in the " whopping"

7. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

A preset in the III is four times the size of a preset in the II. One preset easily does the work of four or more.

JayCM800XL, lp59, favance and 19 others like this.
  8. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

As a beta tester, when I first HEARD there would only be 512 presets, I too was surprised and initially disappointed - spoiled by my XL and all that preset memory space (which I also used up quick!).

But once I got the AXE III beta unit for testing and started doing presets from the front screen -- with these 8 SCENES per preset -- and each scene nameable nameable -- and 4 CHANNELS per AMP (4 kinds allowed!) and 4 CHANNELS per DRIVE block (and four drive blocks allowed!) and up to FOUR Cabs in a single block per preset -- I quickly realized 512 is not a limitation if you design your presets right.

For example, it took my four XL-style bank files to do the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack and cover all the 259 amp models with two scenes each, plus separate cleans, etc. In the Axe III, easy for me to see how I could do the same naked amp preset set in just two banks of 128, no problem -- cleans and low to medium to high gain for a single amp, all in one preset.

I'm serious, if you do gigs in a cover band, you could have 2 to 3 presets with 8 scenes each and never have to change from a home a bank -- that's what is so cool with the new design. A single preset can cover every Bogner XTC channel and boost, for example -- that's four current amp models easily in one preset. Pretty cool!

I'll be submitting a few AXE III presets for possible factory inclusion...I've got an 'Austin Johnson" AXE III preset that is similar to Eric Johnson's complete rig (including his old Steel String Singer for dirty rhythm) in one preset, for example.

lp59, dr bonkers, EricP1954 and 9 others like this.
  9. Swabere

Swabere
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I do, but only because I give every song I play it’s own preset even if it is the same as other songs. Makes it way easier with my band when we play full nights at a bar.

10. AlGrenadine

AlGrenadine
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

4 times the size of the xl presets or the mki ii presets? (investigating ^^)

11. vangrieg

vangrieg
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

But, possibly it is a problem with the MFC first and foremost. It had a lousy set/song mode which in some cases didn't even work properly. So I have a few dozen slots occupied by some 5 presets. I have to copy them over so they show proper song names on my controller, but they aren't actual unique presets, and it's a wasteful and quite dumb way of managing songs and set lists.

Now, I'm not sure that proper set list management is possible with the III, and with the new controllers being "dumb terminals", they might have nothing of the sort either.

But there is a way to have it done better, in theory.

12. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

I didn't say a word about IRs... ;)

13. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Preaching to the choir!

I completely get it... And in fact, I am a huge fan of kitchen sink presets. That's what I'm already doing with my XL+ to the extent that I am able. The III will open that so much wider!

But I also understand that my workflow is not the same as the next guy, and I don't impose my use case on someone else. If you need 512 presets then that's up to you :)

I'm looking forward to your factory presets!

14. FreeMind

FreeMind
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Why would anyone need hundreds of factory presets?
    They are there just to show what the axe can do and give you a start, or just a tone to play around with quickly.
    A hundred of those is more than enough.

Then the rest is for your music creation - How many do you actually need?
    If you are like me, only a few.
    If you are in a tribute band that aims for authenticity - A hundred maybe?

15. slinky005

slinky005
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I can't believe people complain about something that hasn't even dropped yet. I think Cliff has proven that he makes intelligent decisions and for a reason. As well he listens to his customers. Let the unit get released. Listen to what people have to say after having actually used it.

16. yek

yek
    Expand Collapse

I’m in both camps.

I have a “kitchen sink” preset, which I use all the time for practicing etc.

But in my bands I use a preset-per-song approach. Simply because this lets me:
    - create song-specific sounds
    - use scenes for song parts
    - name scenes on my RJM foot controller
    - autom. switch songs in my iPad app.

512 should be enough to cover both needs.

17. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Because if it was more than 512 then there would be no reason to release a AxeFX IIIXL or IIIXL+ version.;)

18. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/why-512-presets.135057/page-2#post-1597831

19. FreeMind

FreeMind
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I am not complaining about too many presets.
    I am complaining about people complaining that there are too little presets.
    I am saying that there is more than enough.

20. iaresee

iaresee
    Expand Collapse

You know...if history is an indicator...this make some sense. :D

Pwrmac7600 likes this.