Who's using FRFR as a backline vs. Cabs?

I've been running stereo Cabs on stage for quite some time (ORange 4X12 Stage L and Mesa Vert-Slant 2X12 Stage R) Although the cabs look bitchin and sound Great, i've noticed/learned that it muddy's up my sound overall bc I also go DI to FOH in Stereo as well. So am considering using my Mackie HD1221's as my backline instead in the same setup. Is this an unnecessary redundancy if im also going to FOH? Reason I like my backline is so I can turn my guitars up on stage if need be and also for anyone standing close to the stage. We run IEM so there is no need for me to hear anything outside of my own Ear Monitors.

Most Guitarists mic their cabs, so similarly I would be achieving the same thing, (Stage sound and FOH are same or similar) but am wondering If I should bring My mackies closer to PA speakers (Front of Stage) so phasing doesn't occur....IDK, would love to hear you thoughts.

I go direct to FOH, but also have a single CLR as backline just for stage fill. The bassist goes direct, but also has a 1x15 & 4x10 (or somethin) on stage, the other guitarist is miked (2x12). So they're LOUD. Because I'm IEM, I would be glaringly nonexistant to people close to the stage if I didn't have some backline. The other guys are IEM too, but loud nevertheless (lolwut???).

I wouldn't even worry about moving your Mackies up. Put them wherever they sound good to you on stage. The people close enough to hear them would have the PA speakers over their heads anyway.

My approach is that I run a Q12 for backline along with a DI to FOH - works perfectly for me because of the control I have of my stage volume (and that all important acoustic coupling with the guitar) and the audience hear my perfectly through FOH.

I don't use any IEM simply because I probably need to spend a shedload more money to find something that I am really comfortable with.

Not all approaches or solutions work for all people - just find something you are comfortable with that doesn't kill your ears, doesn't kill your back (nothing worse than brutish loadin and loadouts when there are no roadies), doesn't kill your playing experience, and doesn't kill your wallet or credtit card.

I run a qsc k12 and iems. The bit about not being heard up front is true, without it, it is too empty. iems don't block 100% so you still hear and feel it. Don't worry about foh and phasing.

Yes, out1 to FOH and out2 to a monitor behind me. This way I can get "more me" without screwing up e main mix. If the venue already has good monitors, i just leave my own monitor in the van.

QSC K12 at my feet with the Axe-FX on one side and a FOH mix also feeding "my monitor". I hear everything I need to, cause it's in my face. It's up to the rest of the group to provide their own monitoring solution (IEM or Floor Monitor w/FOH mix)... I refuse to get into volume wars on stage!

Using a Friedman ASM-12 and XiTone 1x12. Great combination. ASM-12 provides a low end thump, XiTone provides a nice clarity/cut. Still trying to figure out which one I would use if only had one choice.

My approach is that I run a Q12 for backline along with a DI to FOH - works perfectly for me because of the control I have of my stage volume (and that all important acoustic coupling with the guitar) and the audience hear my perfectly through FOH.

I don't use any IEM ...
Same approach here, except that we use IEMs instead of monitor speakers. This cuts the risk of pa feedback, as well as reducing the amount of equipment we have to transport and set up on small stages.

I use a FR12 on a gator 1x12 rolling rack to get it by my ears. I prefer to have something behind me so if im showing up to a venue with just a pedalboard and guitar, i spec out a powered wedge to be behind.

For a while I was only using my IEM's and went direct to FOH. That was until I saw a video of a friend pantomiming the guitar and shaking his head. He couldn't hear any guitar up front, so now I use 2 EV ELX112P's for some stage fill. Works out quite well, takes up less space than my 4 empty cabs, and much lighter than my 4 loaded Mesa cabs.

Friedman ASC-12 for backline. Used to run a CLR up front and a cab for backline. Really like the Friedman!

We have had the opportunity to demo various FRFR cabs at our shop with the Axe-Fx - we still find the Matrix 2x12 FRFR passive cabs to be the best. Just had the opportunity to try their 1x12 cabs, which were awesome as well. There is a lot of good stuff out there, don't get us wrong - but the Matrix GT1000FX + Stereo 2x12 Matrix FRFR passive cabs was an amazing setup.

Back
Top Bottom