Who's using a Line6 Power Cab+ with their Axe III?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
It's a little on the pricey side, but I like the idea of the versatility; plus you can run digitally in rather than guitar/mic cables and A/D/A conversion. The demos I've seen so far seem pretty mediocre, but the product seems to review well.

I'm just looking for the best, clearest, most "good headphone-like" experience.

Or maybe I'd be better off buying two cheaper FRFR monitors? I would definitely like to hear people's preferences for use with the Axe FX III. If you guys are sick of these threads, then we can narrow it down to just thoughts about the PC+.

Thanks!

I've personally owned a number of Line 6 amp products (Alchemist, Spider Valve, DT) and I've not been happy with the power section of any of them. Based on that alone I wouldn't recommend them.

I don't have a recommendation for you in the sub-$1000 range unfortunately. I use my III for bass primarily right now and have a Matrix GT1000FX 2U power amp and I use a pair home built fearful 15/6/1 cabs.

You can get the components to build yourself a 15/6/1 for about $500 but it does require some elbow grease to turn it from chunks of wood into a functioning cab. You can safely power one 15/6/1 with a GT800FX which is $650.

I really don't like those "made for guitar modeler" solutions. If they're adding anything to the tone, it can only be something I don't want, regardless of how it sounds. I want to know exactly what's going to the mains or into my PC. Anything that intentionally colors the sound is junk to me.

Personally, I use a pair of Adam A7's most of the time, and a Yamaha DXR 12 when I want to move some air. For live use, I have IEM's.

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I was wondering if it'd even be worth it. I can always bring my Mesa Mark V and just plug into the power section if I need to (or even my Bassbreaker 15).

I'm always VERY happy with modelers through headphones or real amps out loud - but modelers out loud? Something always feels/sounds 'off' about it. Maybe that's because I've never had a good FRFR, other than studio monitors. But it wouldn't be too practical to use those as my backline on stage :)

Anyway, I guess for now I'll keep researching FRFRs and maybe toy with plugging the axe into the return of one of my amps. Thanks for the responses.

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I was wondering if it'd even be worth it. I can always bring my Mesa Mark V and just plug into the power section if I need to (or even my Bassbreaker 15).

I'm always VERY happy with modelers through headphones or real amps out loud - but modelers out loud? Something always feels/sounds 'off' about it. Maybe that's because I've never had a good FRFR, other than studio monitors. But it wouldn't be too practical to use those as my backline on stage :)

Anyway, I guess for now I'll keep researching FRFRs and maybe toy with plugging the axe into the return of one of my amps. Thanks for the responses.
or you're just not used to hearing mic'd guitar tone like that....since you said you always like it through real amps

Maybe that's because I've never had a good FRFR, other than studio monitors. But it wouldn't be too practical to use those as my backline on stage :)

Agreed. I used my XL+ through a 2x12 guitar cab and wasn't particularly impressed but when I started using the fearfuls the difference was night and day.

Also, if you're looking for FRFRs, really give the fearfuls a look. If you build them out of baltic birch, they're very light. Each one of mine weighs around 40lbs which is surprisingly light for a 15/6/1 with full crossovers built in. Yes you will still need a poweramp, but I'm betting if you're willing to do the build yourself (they take about 2-4hr to assemble if you're handy with a brad nailer), they'll be cheaper than buying some quality active pre-builts.

If you're mostly guitar rather than bass, drop down to the 12/6/1. They'll be lighter, cheaper, FRFR, and will push way harder than any other cab I've ever used. I returned an orange 4x10 and 1x15 because they weren't cutting it and dropped the fearfuls in their place. I then dumped my orange 4x12 from my guitar setup and just used one fearful. They're gluttons for punishment.

If you are playing at home: the best near-field monitors you can afford.
I'm using the Equator D5s at the moment for monitors, but I've been so into the sound through headphones that I haven't even hooked it up to any actual speakers yet! Wow. Didn't realize that until I typed it lol! Anyway, thank you, all. I guess that may be one of my issues is that I want a one-sized-fits-all solution; something that can hold it's own at a full-band rehearsal, home, or gig.

So it seems the general consensus is not too favorable for the Power Cab+, eh?

I've heard great things about the Headrush cab; so... If I use good near-field monitors at home, what would be the closest similar experience with a band? Probably some powered FRFR PA-type speaker, right?

I appreciate you guys kinda helping me tease out the PC+'s virtues and problems. I have lots more research to do :)

If I use good near-field monitors at home, what would be the closest similar experience with a band? Probably some powered FRFR PA-type speaker, right?

Most definitely!
And/or a feed from FOH mixer to foldback speakers FRFR preferably.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't get why anyone would spend good money on one piece of gear only to scrimp on another. After all, the signal sum is only as good as it's weakest link.

Last edited:
Since I ordered tonight.... Guess I'll be using my Axe FX III soon through my PowerCab Plus... and my Mission Gemini 2 2x12... and my Xitone MBritt convertible open/closed back.................. aCk!!! o_O:eek::confused::D:cool:

I'm using the Equator D5s at the moment for monitors, but I've been so into the sound through headphones that I haven't even hooked it up to any actual speakers yet! Wow. Didn't realize that until I typed it lol! Anyway, thank you, all. I guess that may be one of my issues is that I want a one-sized-fits-all solution; something that can hold it's own at a full-band rehearsal, home, or gig.

I've heard great things about the Headrush cab; so... If I use good near-field monitors at home, what would be the closest similar experience with a band? Probably some powered FRFR PA-type speaker, right?

I appreciate you guys kinda helping me tease out the PC+'s virtues and problems. I have lots more research to do :)

I've heard good things about those Equator D5's. I almost got a pair of those myself, when I was in the market.

Regarding FRFR options, this quote (@vkinetic ) from another thread, seems a good summary of what's out there at the moment:

Higher Budget - Atomic CLR Neos; XiTones; Mission Geminis; Friedman ASC/ASM. The Friedman seems to be the choice for those looking more for a cab/traditional stage amp sound (the thump as some would refer to it as and that equates to more bottom end)

Mid-range Budget - Yamaha DXR10s; QSC K10.2s (I chose the Yamahas because they were the best I could afford, but I loved the speaker so much I got GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and bought another one.

Lower Budget - Alto TS212; HeadRush FRFR

The DXR10 is the 10" speaker version of the DXR12 that I use (I love it). I've never tried the 10" version, but a lot of people around here seem to really like it as well. Of course, I'd love to give CLR's a try one of these days (budget permitting). :)

I bought the Powercab Plus a week ago, and was not blown away. With a bit tweaking (db up and 'raw' engaged) it sounded decent . But i was not really convinced. So i orderd the headrush also. Well today my headrush arrived and i was blown away instantly. It's sounded right from the first moment. Not harsh, lot's of headroom and tonal warmth. Made my Axe III really come alive. I'm gonna retun the powercab Plus and by a second headrush to go stereo.

So the powercab plus is cool, but not as loud and not as warm. But the headrush FRFR-112 is a lot better IMO (if your searching for a FRFR solution). And another thingm the headrush FRFR112 is way cheaper an better value for money. (IMO)

I've heard good things about those Equator D5's. I almost got a pair of those myself, when I was in the market.

Regarding FRFR options, this quote (@vkinetic ) from another thread, seems a good summary of what's out there at the moment:

The DXR10 is the 10" speaker version of the DXR12 that I use (I love it). I've never tried the 10" version, but a lot of people around here seem to really like it as well. Of course, I'd love to give CLR's a try one of these days (budget permitting). :)

Hi, I think the headrush is a great solution and better choice than any yamaha DXR and PowerCab PLus. And its even cheaper. I have two yamaha DXR12's and a powercab Plus but the headrush FRFR-112 blows them all away.
The Xitone active 12 and Atomic CLR are off course great! Depending what you wanna spend. I'm perfectly happy with the headrush for my AXE III. Great value for money and warm punchy tone's. It respons perfectly to every detail i dial in.

Recently I bought POWER CAB and tried it at a rehearsal studio but the result was a bit disappointing.
My band is heavy metal music.
In power cab, it seems impossible to reproduce 4 × 12 modeling. Of course.
However, the width and surface texture are equivalent to SKB R3S, so it looks cool.

It was an ok unit. I had the cab+ since may of last year. I liked many of the features on it and the whole utility of the unit. I used it at a few gigs both indoors and outside during the summer season. I ended up trading it in for something else that I needed and got a Friedman ASM-10 which sounds fabulous with my III.

Back
Top Bottom