Who's the best guitar player of all time to you and why?

That's true only if you allow it to. That's less a function on the subject of learning than the creative impetus of the individual and how willing or unwilling he is to be led, fed and dictated to by rules. As I said, I don't think there ARE rules that keep you FROM doing anything in the world. It never did to me. I think this is a confusion a lot of people run into about theory and other things..

I am not sure I *totally* agree, but I like the thought, and am going to ponder on this some more... cheers.

Not even in "classical" music. Otherwise you never would have had Berlioz, Debussy, Schoenberg, Ives, Penderdrecki, Stockhausen, Glass, et al.

come on, I'm not saying everything in classical music has got rules, besides it was a joke so the win is on me :D

I am not sure I *totally* agree, but I like the thought, and am going to ponder on this some more... cheers.
Charlie Parker
“Master your instrument, Master the music, and then forget all that bullshit and just play.”

“Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don’t live it, it won’t come out of your horn. They teach you there’s a boundary line to music. But, man, there’s no boundary line to art.”

That's where theory ends and mastery begins. Theory and study can make the road shorter.

What I'm trying to say is, if you believe that dolphins are the most intelligent creatures in the universe and hold incredible powers over you, they absolutely will. If you believe that learning the inner working of music will take your creativity and raw power away, it most certainly will. But if you don't believe that and just learn, you will learn and apply what you've learned to what ever raw musical creative force you possess. And you'll be better trained and able to know what the hell you're doing. You won't lose years trying to reinvent the wheel and miss all kinds of important and useful information along the way.

Colleges and most institutions of learning just willy nilly want to codify paper mache dolls. They try to formulate something that was never formulated like that in the first place. But music is music. You can spend years and years trying to discover the perfect chord and be damned and determined you aren't going to ask or take lessons or go to school. You finally come up with this thing you call, for want of something better, the Glob chord. Turns out it's spelled C-E-G. I mean that's fine, but geez, you could have saved so much more time writing actual music, realizing it the way you perhaps imagined it in the first place.

No one can take your creativity away or make you lose you rawness or anything else, UNLESS YOU AGREE THAT THEY WILL. Rules aren't there to tell you what you CAN'T do or MUST DO. They're there to inform you what it sounds like when X and Y happen. Now some teachers go in overboard in trying to teach and give you rules for their classes. That's a different thing altogether.

Sorry to revive an old thread... just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

My two pillars of guitar are Jeff Beck and Steve Morse: Jeff Beck for his fiery, quirky phrasing back in the Wired days, and great touch sensitivity in the more modern era. Steve Morse for his incredible versatility, technical prowess, and compositional skills.

Back
Top Bottom