Who's Planning To "Eventually" Move Up To The III?

I have my minimal home setup with Guitar, computer, interface, AX8 and headphones. I like my setup a lot, but I still want to get the biggest brother maybe in a year from now.

Time will tell if I can spare the money to buy. Even then I don't want to sell my AX8. Is it wrong to have them both? I feel kinda greedy, but still won't sell my AX8 : )

I will buy one the day I have the funds available. I am a little over a year away from graduating from dental school, when I get my first paycheck I will be throwing money at Fractal (and my student loans) instead of BMW or Audi like my classmates.

In the meantime I am extremely satisfied with my II XL+.

I will buy one the day I have the funds available. I am a little over a year away from graduating from dental school, when I get my first paycheck I will be throwing money at Fractal (and my student loans) instead of BMW or Audi like my classmates.

In the meantime I am extremely satisfied with my II XL+.
Nice to see a future dentist with his priorities in the right place! Good luck!

Mailed out my II XL+ to its new owner and will be "Axe less" till the III shows up.... But have a Marshall Code 100 head for living room stunts and the original old school modeling direct to PA concept from the 80's. A Scholz Rockman Stadium Head loaded with the blue Rockmodules! Kinda ironically cool that the III is blue also and will blend in to make the "Alpha & Omega" rig.

I originally thought it would be cool, to have the Kemper and the Fractal as backups for each other
Glad to know im not the only one who got rid of his! i had extremely awesome results live but not so much in the studio with the Kemper.Is it me, or did everything at one point all sounds the same?

I sold the Kemper to fund the III. It will cost me more money in the long run since ill need the controller and maybe the EXP pedal.

Probably. Tho TBH my AX-8 is more than adequate - but it also happens to be my favourite thing ever... and actually you cant have too much of a good thing after all.
Depends on cost to UK via G66 but I am on the list.

Please loan those to Cliff so he can model them for inclusion in a future FW! Would love to be able to dial up that classic Boston sound!

I'm with ya! Would love to see the SR&D Rockmodules "officially" in the Axe. I remember Matt made a Tone Match of the X100 headphone amp that I tweaked, But the tone difference of the Rockmodules are much more advanced. If a Distortion Generator, and a late model Sustainor with the Rev. 20 Double IC chip were available in the III you would be covered. Since the effects in the Axe can copy the Stereo Chorus, Stereo Echo, and Pre/Post EQ's close enough. It's the unique Compression, Distortion, and Lead Leveler specs in the DG and Sus that would need a little engineering. Which I can provide to Cliff if he is interested.....

Since the XL+ is gone, I'll have to redo a Rockman Rig. Have you tried Moke's Boston patch? It's excellent for the their first album tone!

Not until they introduce a tablet or phone-based Bluetooth UI. I'm rather surprised this was omitted, when even the likes of Behringer have had this functionality in some of their gear for years. I am PERFECTLY happy with the tones of my Axe FX II and most of my patches run around 80% CPU, so I have no sonic reason to upgrade. The big opportunity is in the UI. It's 2018, y'all. Give us a modern interface. I will jump on the waiting list the very day that a Bluetooth UI is announced. Until then, I'm out.

Even though i just purchased a XL + i would consider a Black Box version of the 3. Except for the power switch to turn on the XL I use the editor 99 percent of the time. I would think you really could bring down the cost without the knobs and display. It would be perfect for the studio or a rookie like myself. My laptop fits perfectly on top of my current XL:)

I'm on the waiting list... I already have the AX8 but still CPU is not enough, have to play a lot with the Presets.
Not to discourage you from getting a III, but there's a big jump in CPU capacity just from AX-8 to Axe Fx II... And the used market is great (and even the new market got a price drop today for US buyers)

Place me in the 'eventually' category. I stayed with the AxeFX Ultra until the AxeFX II reached firmware v5.0, when posted recordings demonstrated what I perceived as improvements in amp modeling that justified the upgrade cost. This doesn't mean that it didn't already sound better before v5.0. Rather v5.0 is when the improvement appealed to me more than the money that I'd have to spend for the upgrade. When I perceive a similar level of improvement in modeling, amp/cab interaction, and/or effects that I use regularly then I'll upgrade to the AxeFX III.

Note: firmware v5.0 dropped not too long after the AxeFX II's release so an upgrade may happen sooner than I am expecting. Time will tell.

Congratulations FAS! The AxeFX III release is exciting news! I'll be following Cliff's progress on the new platform closely. ;)

Last edited:
I'm probably getting the III. I purchased a IIXL+ back in January and immediately returned it when I saw the announcement. The IIXL+ sounded great through my Mark V's power section and with headphones at night. I could have stayed with it but I have hardcore fear of missing out. I know the updates will only make the III even better over time.

I've accidentally gone and put my name on the waitlist for the III.Oh no how did that happen? lol

I wasn't going to upgrade from the XL+ in fact I was all set to sell my axe rig and go the more traditional pedalboard route. But I like my axe rig too much. I usually like to run mine with my Boogie via the 4CM live but at home I use the amp cabs ad sims.

I don't need to upgrade but sod it I'm going to do it anyway.

I've accidentally gone and put my name on the waitlist for the III.Oh no how did that happen? lol

I wasn't going to upgrade from the XL+ in fact I was all set to sell my axe rig and go the more traditional pedalboard route. But I like my axe rig too much. I usually like to run mine with my Boogie via the 4CM live but at home I use the amp cabs ad sims.

I don't need to upgrade but sod it I'm going to do it anyway.
Good decision. My band rig is going to be my TC50 via 4CM and at home for playing and recording I'll be using the amp and cab sims.

Good decision. My band rig is going to be my TC50 via 4CM and at home for playing and recording I'll be using the amp and cab sims.

TC50 nice! Have u tried the TC100 yet? I'm using my RKII still but was thinking on getting a JP2C or Mark v35 not sure yet. Will have to wait a while as I'm buying the III now.

TC50 nice! Have u tried the TC100 yet? I'm using my RKII still but was thinking on getting a JP2C or Mark v35 not sure yet. Will have to wait a while as I'm buying the III now.
No, I;m not really close to a dealership. Ordered it from Mesa Hollywood last year. I was looking at the JP2C as well, but leaning slightly toward the TC50 after listening to every clip and video I could find. I asked the guy at Mesa and told him what I was looking for, and he told me that what really sets the TC50 apart from the JP2C is that blue channel with the low to mid gain. The JP2C is more like clean and two fairly identical hi-gain channels (which can be set quite differently, but still not as good for the mid-gain as the TC50.) It saved me a little money, and I absolutely love the tones I'm getting and the way they integrated the MIDI into the channel switching, loop, reverb, and most importantly the solo boost.

No, I;m not really close to a dealership. Ordered it from Mesa Hollywood last year. I was looking at the JP2C as well, but leaning slightly toward the TC50 after listening to every clip and video I could find. I asked the guy at Mesa and told him what I was looking for, and he told me that what really sets the TC50 apart from the JP2C is that blue channel with the low to mid gain. The JP2C is more like clean and two fairly identical hi-gain channels (which can be set quite differently, but still not as good for the mid-gain as the TC50.) It saved me a little money, and I absolutely love the tones I'm getting and the way they integrated the MIDI into the channel switching, loop, reverb, and most importantly the solo boost.

That's what I'm missing from my RKII is midi. That would be a great addition to that amp. I'm using an RJM Mini amp gizmo at the moment. It works great but it would be a lot easier with just one midi connection from the amp.

Back
Top Bottom