Who's Planning To "Eventually" Move Up To The III?

My biggest gripe is the updates requiring rebuilds to your patches. Too much lost time. I'm actually looking forward to the final FW for the II just because of this.

I'm just going to observe for now. Let's see how the FW matures a bit while waiting for a sale.

I'm going the complete opposite direction. After about 9 years of Axe-Fx devices I've finally realized I just don't need that much. I'm not a heavy effects user and as much as I enjoy the sounds I'm getting out of my Axe-Fx 2 MK I, it's still too much for me. I'll probably look into it again when they release an AX9. I would also be very open to an amp/cab modeler only version of the Axe-Fx.

I am definitely getting this when my confirmation email comes. I would get it now if I could. I love the foot pedal design and the fact that it's all edited from the AXE box. I want one PC-12 and one PC-6. I love that it's two rows of foot switches instead of 4. Much easier to manage in a gig setting. 12 Layouts and scribble strips and assignable per preset will make a more consolidated easy to use workspace.

The input 1 jack in the back is great for my wireless. Right now I have to run the cable from the back of my rack case around to the front every time. With this new jack I can just leave it plugged in and not have an extra cable to manage outside of the rack. In fact, I'm pretty sure they put this in because if me.:) I actually ordered another input card and was going to kludge my own version of this back panel input. In the end I couldn't bring myself to take a chance on screwing up the electronics. I sent a request to have this added in the next version. I should get a special discount and and be moved to the top of the list for my contribution.:) (Hello...anybody listening. I guess they aren't going to go for it.)

Love the new menu system. Looks easier to read and navigate.

This model solves a lot of issues for me and if the sound improves a little because of the extra processing power then all the better. Although, I really have now complaints about the sound. It's pretty awesome already.

Sadly, I'll probably have to wait a while. I wasn't paying attention when they put the it up on the website, so I'm not very close to the front of the wait list. 1st world problem, I guess.

I am still in doubt what to do. Eventually I will buy one. But not looking forward to make all my Axe fx II presets again in the III. If there will be a conversion tool of some sort the decision would be easier.

Also waiting to see what the Fractal strategy/plan regarding amp modelling versus effects will be in the near future. If it is like the last years that amps are priority number one and there will be very little changes or updates in the effect section than I am not sure if I really need the III since I will use it 80% for effects.

I´m very satisfied with the actually sound and feeling of the Axe II MK II (In-Ear Player). Amp and Cab-IR sounding are the most important things to me in the Axe.

So whenever there will be an audible improvement, I will also move to the Axe III.

I´m exiting about the IR sounding in the future and maybe what Cliff/FAS Team can develope for this.

My Ultra has been sold after a few hours on Ebay - it´s very busy there with FAS-maschines......

I just can't fathom the thought of not experiencing this awesome machine. With all of the other gear expenditures I've made recently I just can't swing bridging the gap between what I would get from selling my Axe-Fx II MkI and MFC-101 so I could get the Axe-Fx III and FC-12...... But I KNOW I will be making plans to do it ASAP.

Most likely sometime this summer (if I can wait that long).

So what's the ETA for the Axe-III anyway?
I want to say Apri/Mayl? Can't recall where I would've gotten that info other than here, though. Maybe it's just all the NAMM (Not Available; Maybe in May) announcements talking...

I'm so content with my AX8 , it took 4 hours after I learned of the III before I got on the wait list. ( Like a meathead )

For the price of a decent guitar....it's a no-brainer.

I'm glad I have my AX8 while I wait ! Sounds killer.

I'm sure there's more improvements in IR technology to come and the 3 will have the horsepower to facilitate the changes. I bet we'll all be compelled to get one sooner or later.

Just sold my AX8 for an Axe2XL+ in Nov/Dec 2017. 2 months later I find out the lower prices weren’t just special holiday pricing but closeout deals. Also bought the MFC-101 to go with it. Now if I knew the new model was coming out within a year I wouldnt have purchased. I’d happily unload my Axe2 rig now as its pretty much obsolete. What’s a fair price on reverb ?

How do you figure that?

Fractal’s announcement page touts that the new Axe3 is more than twice as powerful as the former flagship product. I sold the AX8 because it can’t do multiple amp/IR’s and wasn’t compatible with presets from its bigger brother. This in large part due to its lack of DSP compared to the Axe2.

Now the Axe3 outclasses its little brother in the same way the Axe2 is over the Ax8. I’d call that the definition of obsolete. How long before the amp modeling in the Axe3 can’t be backported to the Axe2/AX8? Best to cut your losses sooner rather than later.

I’m a tube amp guy, and I have quite a few. I’ve bought them new and used. I learned how to service them and eventually how to build them from scratch. I also collect and use vintage speakers.

My bandmate bought a Helix early last year. Since I have a zillion amps, he suggested that I buy a Kemper. It arrived Sep-2017. Then I bought an Xl+ in November and the MFC 101 in December. I’m selling my Kemper, and buying the new III, when I get Fractal’s email.

I originally thought it would be cool, to have the Kemper and the Fractal as backups for each other - the best of both worlds, eh? But after slogging through the learning curves, I’m using my Axe FX II XL+ exclusively. It sounds better, and the Kemper is back in the box. I’ve sold all of my newer boutique pedals, and a newer boutique amp, to help pay for this stuff. I’m not selling the old amps, and I have kept my (originally new) univibe, fuzzface, muff, wah, tubescreamer, and Klon, for historical reasons). I’m not boasting - I bought this stuff when it was new and inexpensive. (Get this: the ram’s head muff was $32! The vibe was $90!) Everything else has been sold.

Scott Peterson taught me how to fine-tune my patches, with support from Moke and Austin Buddy templates. The XL+ Is sounding great... better than great. Superb feel and tone. I can’t wait to get the III.

Sorry for the long story, but the context provides perspective.

Fractal’s announcement page touts that the new Axe3 is more than twice as powerful as the former flagship product. I sold the AX8 because it can’t do multiple amp/IR’s and wasn’t compatible with presets from its bigger brother. This in large part due to its lack of DSP compared to the Axe2.

Now the Axe3 outclasses its little brother in the same way the Axe2 is over the Ax8. I’d call that the definition of obsolete. How long before the amp modeling in the Axe3 can’t be backported to the Axe2/AX8? Best to cut your losses sooner rather than later.
The Axe III coming out doesnt take away from the Axe II being the current top dog in modeling, and for the time being they'll both be running the same firmware (though yes the axe III will benefit from the extra horsepower the difference wont be so noticeable atm). It's one thing to be upset that your unit isnt the most current but using that as a basis to say everything before the new product is obsolete is, well...wrong

Eventually yes. But I think I will stick around with my II and AX8 as long as they get FW updates.

Just sold my AX8 for an Axe2XL+ in Nov/Dec 2017. 2 months later I find out the lower prices weren’t just special holiday pricing but closeout deals. Also bought the MFC-101 to go with it. Now if I knew the new model was coming out within a year I wouldnt have purchased. I’d happily unload my Axe2 rig now as its pretty much obsolete. What’s a fair price on reverb ?

Play it !
Don't be too discouraged. There are a pile of professional artists out there , who are currently still using your rig. You've still got THE sound. Unless the features of the new III are MUST HAVES , you should rock on with the II while you've got it. IMO.
I get your frustration with the timing of the latest version , but the II is still kicking azz. Most guys only use a fraction of what it can do !

I'm going to keep my AX8 for live gigs and testing out new firmware, my XL in the rack always set to firmware 8.02 (my fav), and get the AXE III and start using that for all the studio work. Plus I have an FX8. It's probably overkill. I may sell my MFC though and favor of the Axe III foot controllers, I'd probably get two and daisy chain.

There is NOTHING wrong with the AX8 or Axe-Fx Mark II or XL/XL+. They are amazing units that sound awesome if you program them right.

The Axe III just lets you do more inside a single preset. I love the naming of scenes for example you can see on a foot controller, and it;'s faster and solves prior audio drop out issues when going from X to Y like an AX8, -- when you change channels from A to B in Axe III you get none of that.

If you are into extensive preset design, the AXE III for sure is the way to go moving forward. If you just like to have an amp and a few pedals, the AX* works fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom