Who's moving from a Axe-Fx II to FM3?

I'm waiting to see what the final specs on the usability of the FM3 are... i.e. how much can we fit into a preset, do most people feel like they have to use Spring reverb or sacrifice too many other blocks to make other verbs fit like on the AX8, etc. But I can see selling my AX8 and AxeII/MFC to fund an FM3 & FC12. It'd probably be worth it just for continued Ares epiphanies ;-) The II mostly just sits in my studio and acts as a very expensive interface so no real reason to keep it.

Whereas the Axe III and its competitors are about tradeoffs of things you can have, the FM3 is about tradeoffs of things you can’t have. Would I trade the lack of a rack, MFC, FASLink cable run, and power conditioner (good) for the lack of another amp block, a tone match, and a couple more footswitches etc. (bad)? Right now, for me, it’s “probably not”. But YMMV—to each their own.

I use my Axe-Fx II XL+ more than my Axe-Fx III. I kind of like the idea of not having to adjust my presets bc there won't be anymore firmware changes. If I want them to change I can tweak some of the advanced amp block settings or change the IR. I mainly bought the III for more recording convenience.

I haven't read all the posts about the FM3 but has FAS said if presets will be compatible with the III w/o having to rely on FracTool?

If not, I'm probably going to get a HX Stomp and the Helix Native plugin for $600 for both on sale. I really miss the convenience of using a plugin like POD Farm or Helix Native. I really wish FAS would make at least an amp plugin, even if it only had FAS amp models bc that's mainly what I use.

I was thinking about getting a used AX8 but they don't have a headphone out.

I jumped on the waitlist but reality is I will wait to see full review before I buy.

The Axe-Fx II mkII I own is still holding it's own.

LOL at those that can't read titles and say they are keeping their III.

I'd consider it. I don't have anywhere near enough money for a III right now, and I mostly use my Mk II for reamping. If the FM3 has full quality amp and cab sim options from the III, that would be big (I also don't need more than one amp block at a time).

The FM3 is my favourite Fractal device, hands down.
I am definitely trading my Axe 2 XL for FM3 for the form-factor alone. I will be able to carry my whole guitar rig in my guitar bag.
I just hope FM3 will have a long lasting support, that gets all the updates the Axe FX 3 does. However, considering that it has only roughtly as much processing power as AX8, I'm worried on how that's gonna go... Hope they don't have to cut corners, like not including the improved drive blocks and such, or not getting amp modelling completely to Axe FX 3 level...

I think you can only say that once you have tried the FM3, however, there are a lot of conditions for it to be what you hope it will be....

I'm also looking at it. For that matter, I've made a general plan to buy the Axe fx 3 and use it for the studio, and to buy the FM3 for gigs. The form factor is whats' selling me. I understand FM3 won't have everything I want, but from experience, I've realised I don't use every feature in the Axe Fx2 now, especially for gigs. My foot controller is huge so the form factor is the reason I'm eyeing the FM3.
The FM3 is cheap enough to grab and go but I can't see it being a replacement for the 3. So I'll be getting both as a future plan.
I'm still very happy with the 2, and it's only the form factor that is getting me interested.

This is a smart product and strategy, because I'm sure I won't be the only one buying two products as an upgrade from my Axe Fx 2+XL

Almost every preset on my FXII is custom... either purchased or made by myself. I have the original Mk I with only 384 slots. Many are specific to band songs that I play at gigs. It would be painful to make the switch and have to redo everything if my presets can't transfer over. It would be REALLY nice though to have 600+ preset and user cab slots though!

No plans to switch. I'm not a gigging musician though. I like my rack gear in my little home studio and have invested a lot into the MFC101 recently and pedal board etc. I'm very happy with the sounds of the II and will likely keep it a few years and save up for the III. By then I'm sure there'll be a newer product. Round and round we go.

No plans to switch for me. I’ve had my XL+ for 3 years and I’m still discovering cool sounds, like Brit 800 into Rumble cab 166 or the Friedmans into the new Friedman cab pack. I’m just having too much fun. Of course the FM3 looks interesting but I also like @Colorado Axeman have a lot of song specific presets and I don’t feel like redoing them all.

I’m not even really tempted by a III, especially since the FC12 is hard to come by, though even if I were my wallet wouldn’t be able to comply.

I'm thinking of letting go of my Axe II Mark 2 when the time comes, I don't mind the processing power as I usually use few effects and no dual amp settings. If only we had the JP2C from the last firmware update, i wont consider FM3, but its size and capabilities, it's really tempting. Already on the waitlist, but most likely they will have stock and waiting game will be so long for sure, enough time to save so i wont sell my AxeII :D

I definitely won’t sell my 2 xl+ but I can’t wait to get my hands on an fm3 then maybe an fc 6 add on for live shows

I had already decided to make the move to a smaller setup. About a couple months ago I sold an Axe II Gen1 (had it for over 5 years) and didn't make the move to the Axe III as I could not really justify it... really overkill for me, so I was looking for a used AX8 until the FM3 was announced.
I will eventually find a way around the 3 buttons thing (I absolutely hate MIDI programming) so even if you don't get all the features an Axe III will provide, it's sort of a chance to bandwagon into the new line of Fractal products, updates, new features et all.

Not sell but keep in parallel the II and FM3 seems to be the way to go for me. Maybe I'd add a small complementary midi solution just for having some additional controls, maybe; sth like a Harley Benton MP100 or similar, or a Voes

I'd never sell my XL+, not even to fund the purchase of III. The FM3 might be interesting if I know how much DSP it had in comparison to a II. The AX-8 is a scaled down II, so less DSP. If the FM3 is a scaled down III, with less DSP then a III but still more then a II it might be interesting. Too bad there's 49 pages of discussion to wade through (as I type this) in the announcement thread.

Back
Top Bottom