Who's moving from a Axe-Fx II to FM3?

Looks like we'd be trading away more CPU power for improved amp modeling. I'm pretty happy where I'm at with my Axe-FX II running the Ares firmware... haven't totally decided yet whether I should switch (but am leaning towards going with the FM3).

I'm on the waiting list for the FM3 but I expect I'll keep my Axe FX II XL+, it's MFC101 and my AX-8. Someday I may hook them all together :)

I want the FM3 because it's smaller than the AX-8, I really want the Tri Chorus (seriously I do) and I expect the amp models will feel amazing. I went from the Ultra to the Axe FX II so I know the tone leaps Fractal can make.

I can do what I want with the AX-8 so I'm not worried about the FM3 being able to do the same.

I think I'm staying where I'm at for the time. It's tempting but I think at this point it's all diminishing returns for me. I only ever use like 2 presets on my II mark I and I've noticed a little extra detail/bite recently by changing swapping the MPT IR I've been using for the RAW version and that alone feels like I've upgraded to something new.

I'm sure down the line I'll upgrade to the III even though I can't justify that either but everyone's gotta splurge sometime, right?

I think I'm staying where I'm at for the time. It's tempting but I think at this point it's all diminishing returns for me. I only ever use like 2 presets on my II mark I and I've noticed a little extra detail/bite recently by changing swapping the MPT IR I've been using for the RAW version and that alone feels like I've upgraded to something new.

I'm sure down the line I'll upgrade to the III even though I can't justify that either but everyone's gotta splurge sometime, right?
What's MPT and RAW?

I have thought about this... I'll either flip my II for a III towards the end of the year or just outright add an FM3 to my collection.

Man, not only does the modeling excel, but cab tools are amazing along with greatly improved delays and reverbs. Looper function on the 3 are much better and the virtual capo is cool as well.

And yes, the trichorus. The MTD is super useful too.

Hang on fellas, you might be amazed.

I just had a realization... since the announcement I've been assuming that the FM3 is going to be to the Axe-Fx III what the AX8 was to the FXII... the same amp modeling engine/effects but a diminutive version. But what if it the FX3 isn't that at all, but yet ANOTHER diminutive version of the Axe-Fx II that now adds some additional GUI and other technological enhancements? Maybe FAS has been perfecting the Ares firmware on the FXII because they've been developing it for use use on the FM3? I mean, how could the FM3 run run the Axe-Fx III engine when it has less processing power than the Axe-Fx II? It that's the case then FX II beta testers have actually been the been unwitting guinea pigs to help develop of their new product. If true then I see no reason to make the switch at all. Just how different are the FXII Ares amp models from the FXIII - have any comparisons been made?

Last edited:
I just had a realization... since the announcement I've been assuming that the FM3 is going to be to the Axe-Fx III what the AX8 was to the FXII...similar but a diminutive version. But what if it isn't that at all? What if the FM3 is yet ANOTHER diminutive version of the Axe-Fx II that now adds some additional GUI and other technological enhancements? For instance, the version of Ares on the FM3 could the based on latest Axe-Fx II firmware. I mean, how could the FM3 run run the Axe-Fx III engine when it has less processing power than the Axe-Fx II? Maybe FAS has been perfecting the Ares firmware on the FXII because they've been testing it out for use use on the FM3? If it's essentially the same Ares engine that we already have on out FX II's then I see no reason to upgrade at all. Just how different are the FXII Ares amp models from the FXIII - have any comparisons been made?

You don’t have all of ares on anything but the 3 atm. It requires some 64 bit processing which doesn’t happen on any other FAS platform. It makes a difference.

Also, we enjoy a roadmap of continuous improvement on the newer platforms. Where older platforms are EOL.

Furthermore, there are other features (better verbs, delays, drives, etc) that are not included on all the platforms.

However what matters to you is only a decision that an individual can make. For me it was worth the investment for you, who knows?

You don’t have all of ares on anything but the 3 atm. It requires some 64 bit processing which doesn’t happen on any other FAS platform. It makes a difference.

Also, we enjoy a roadmap of continuous improvement on the newer platforms. Where older platforms are EOL.

Furthermore, there are other features (better verbs, delays, drives, etc) that are not included on all the platforms.

However what matters to you is only a decision that an individual can make. For me it was worth the investment for you, who knows?

You have to be very careful with language here. The FM3 press release only says it "uses Amp Modeling developed for the Axe-Fx III" - well so does the FX II Ares firmware. It doesn't say anything that I've seen about the FM3 having 64-bit architecture, or having the same architecture as the FX III.

I just had a realization... since the announcement I've been assuming that the FM3 is going to be to the Axe-Fx III what the AX8 was to the FXII...similar but a diminutive version. But what if it isn't that at all? What if the FM3 is yet ANOTHER diminutive version of the Axe-Fx II that now adds some additional GUI and other technological enhancements? For instance, the version of Ares on the FM3 could the based on latest Axe-Fx II firmware. I mean, how could the FM3 run run the Axe-Fx III engine when it has less processing power than the Axe-Fx II? Maybe FAS has been perfecting the Ares firmware on the FXII because they've been testing it for use use on the FM3? It that's the case then FX II beta testers have actually been the been unwitting guinea pigs to help develop of their new product. If it's essentially the same Ares engine that we already have on out FX II's then I see no reason to upgrade at all. Just how different are the FXII Ares amp models from the FXIII - have any comparisons been made?

Huh?

No, wait, let me rephrase that:

HUH?!

The FM3 is my favourite Fractal device, hands down.
I am definitely trading my Axe 2 XL for FM3 for the form-factor alone. I will be able to carry my whole guitar rig in my guitar bag.
I just hope FM3 will have a long lasting support, that gets all the updates the Axe FX 3 does. However, considering that it has only roughtly as much processing power as AX8, I'm worried on how that's gonna go... Hope they don't have to cut corners, like not including the improved drive blocks and such, or not getting amp modelling completely to Axe FX 3 level...

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to try it out and see...

Maybe a few things I’ll miss on the III, or maybe the FM3 won’t do quite what I need, but if it can, it’s certainly a nice thought in terms of portability and price....

Sell my III for like $1900 maybe, put $900 into my pocket after buying the FM3, have more switches than my FC6 alone provides... could be a sweet deal overall

Do like dual amp blocks sometimes though.....

The III is staying, having already trounced every other option for me. The FM3 is a great item that exactly meets the needs of the many people who requested it. I used the AX8 for a while, and if I was in a position of needing a rig to fly with, I'd still have it. But my gear rides in a trailer from gig to gig, so two cases (one for the Axe III/Power Supply and one for the RJM MMGT22 and pedals/cords) is actually a very compact rig I can throw it in the back seat of my truck, guitars and all, whenever needed. I'd love an Axe III in an all-in-one pedal the footprint of the MMGT22, and would buy one immediately. I'm not inclined to move to something with so much less than what I have now; I just don't have any size limitations that make the loss into a benefit.

Short answer to OP title: not me.

Personally I think I would prefer a ‘dark box’ Axe fx III.
All the same cpu functions and power.
Significantly smaller size and lower price point. No screen , only configurable via a computer. Lots of the IO available but probably not all.
...much like an Apollo actually.

This still looks cool and I would buy one if something catastrophic happened to my xl+

What's MPT and RAW?

I have thought about this... I'll either flip my II for a III towards the end of the year or just outright add an FM3 to my collection.

MPT is Minimum Phase Transformed. IR's in that format have all the phase info destroyed so they can mix better with other IRs. "RAW" is Ownhammer's term for non-MFT I think since I only ever use Ownhammer. Cliff made an interesting thread about it.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/non-minimum-phase-irs.146046/

Makes a subtle but nice difference, IMO.

You have to be very careful with language here. The FM3 press release only says it "uses Amp Modeling developed for the Axe-Fx III" - well so does the FX II Ares firmware. It doesn't say anything that I've seen about the FM3 having 64-bit architecture, or having the same architecture as the FX III.
You just need to look at DSP specs, SHARC+ processors support 64-bit while SHARC (and I assume also tigersharcs) only support 32 and 40 bit floating point

My AFX3 is not going anywhere.. if I get an FM3 it will be for backup and practice so I can keep my 3 at home. I already have an FC12 so the three button deal does not bother me.. but if there was an 8ish button larger version with more cpu, that would be the real deal.

I personally wouldn’t sell my Axe IIXL+ for a FM3, and for me I’d probably fork out the dollars for an Axe III and have the complete package. A compact floor unit like the AX8 or FM3 would be nice if I were doing gigs where I had to fly... which might be happening soon, so yeah, then I would definitely look into one. But I won’t sell my Axe II... my Ultra, yes.

Back
Top Bottom