Who's into EV's?

View attachment 103681

A little further into this guy's video and he calculates (correctly ) that the gas/kWh break even point is $1.29/gal.

My off-peak kwh rate here in Tucson is $0.09, which drives that ratio even further.

I’m in Phoenix. I wonder if they’re calculating in the cost for running AC while sitting in traffic on a hot summer day. We were at 117° on our way home a week or so ago. :-/

We’ve talked about going electric, but when we hit the road we often drive for weeks through rural areas that are not well equipped with gas stations, let alone charging stations. I keep watching though, because I want us off petroleum products.

How many amps is required? I have a 240V/30A dryer outlet that is superfluous, which could power something....
That will work. Depends on the charger. The Ford Charge Station Pro is 80A amps, and this is the one required (along with a automatic transfer switch) to power the house during an outage. That unit can either be set lower or you can spend a bunch of money on upgraded service from the street. This unit comes with the highest level of trim for the Lightning (Platinum, long-range). It's $1310 otherwise. There is a lower tier Level 2 charging station for $799 which is 24v at 48 amps.

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 10.31.26 AM.png

The mobile and home chargers that come with vehicles (Level 2) are usually ~30-40 amps, which are more than enough for typical weekly commute ops. My run is from Rita Ranch to South Tucson, approx. 16 miles, so I really don't need anything else right away, but I probably will get the Charge Station Pro when it's available for non Platimum Long Range owners, just to have the truck as a battery backup (and as a home value-add).

Again it's all about the charger and the car. Here's some of Tesla's home charger info...

https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/wall-connector#charging-speeds

Last edited:
I’m in Phoenix. I wonder if they’re calculating in the cost for running AC while sitting in traffic on a hot summer day. We were at 117° on our way home a week or so ago. :-/

We’ve talked about going electric, but when we hit the road we often drive for weeks through rural areas that are not well equipped with gas stations, let alone charging stations. I keep watching though, because I want us off petroleum products.
I was at the AZNG Guard Range on Friday and it was a buck ten. It felt like someone was holding a soldering iron very close to my skin... everywhere.

The F-150 Lightning tells you how much consumption is going to Environmental, actual driving, and other accessories - three separate categories. Nice.

I was at the AZNG Guard Range on Friday and it was a buck ten. It felt like someone was holding a soldering iron very close to my skin... everywhere.
Yep. Wait until it’s over 120°. :)

“But… It’s a dry heat.” Hahahaha. It hurts like hell to touch the steering wheel, the kids scream in pain when the seatbelt touches them and it takes over 30 minutes for the car to cool off so we’re usually driving with the car interior pushing 105°. :)

I park across the street. There would be no way for me to charge from home. The closest charging station is 20 minutes away. Not ready for prime time. IMO.

Edit: I’m also a motor-head, so I prefer internal combustion engines that actually make noise.
Thats cause youve never felt the pickup from an EV, son.

“But… It’s a dry heat.” Hahahaha. It hurts like hell to touch the steering wheel, the kids scream in pain when the seatbelt touches them and it takes over 30 minutes for the car to cool off so we’re usually driving with the car interior pushing 105°. :)
Soooooooooo glad I park in the shade now. Swapped out my shift knob years ago because the chrome ring was like a bloody branding iron.

Pro tip: Ove Gloves have nifty rubber nubbins for better steering wheel grip....

Well I've been living and working on and off in the desert since the 90's (SIerra Vista AZ, Twentynine Palms CA, Yuma AZ, Mojave desert CA and Kuwait and Iraq) so it's not new to me. Still sucks though LOL. I had a Nissan Titan here from 2004-2011 and it would get so hot inside that the interior plastics and upholstery would give off that burning plastic smell.

…it would get so hot inside that the interior plastics and upholstery would give off that burning plastic smell.
As kids my parents had cars with vinyl seats, and sitting on them while wearing shorts in the summer was … a defining moment. We learned to do so very carefully. We also used to see who could walk barefoot across the asphalt street the slowest.

Actually, I have. Quite a few times however, as I said:

I prefer internal combustion engines that actually make noise. Instantaneous power is great, the rush of a 70mm turbo is better.
I like the TVS900 supercharger on mine....

Bump, just to share my little happy dance.

I got the call from my Ford EV dealer (only one of the 4-5 dealers in the area is an EV dealer) that someone had dropped out of the game and since the next 6 people on the reservation list weren't reachable, did I want in on an F-150 Lightning. No hesitation, yes. That was 14 June. Tracking the progress, and long story short the email hit on the 30th that my 2022 F-150 Lighning Lariat Standard Range in Antimatter Blue Metallic is BUILT, with an estimated delivery date of 16-22 September. A few days of dealer prep and it's mine all mine. So stoked, y'all have no idea.

Bump, just to share my little happy dance.

I got the call from my Ford EV dealer (only one of the 4-5 dealers in the area is an EV dealer) that someone had dropped out of the game and since the next 6 people on the reservation list weren't reachable, did I want in on an F-150 Lightning. No hesitation, yes. That was 14 June. Tracking the progress, and long story short the email hit on the 30th that my 2022 F-150 Lighning Lariat Standard Range in Antimatter Blue Metallic is BUILT, with an estimated delivery date of 16-22 September. A few days of dealer prep and it's mine all mine. So stoked, y'all have no idea.

That's like winning the lottery. Congrats. I would be very tempted to get one if they were readily available. I'll probably just end up getting a Maverick for the time being. I don't have a lot of truck needs right now.

It’s great Ford is putting out some EV trucks. It will take them awhile to scale up production and get the bugs out. Tesla is miles ahead of everyone, and the ‘truck’ will be coming next. Too bad it’s so weird looking. The Ford looks very good in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom