Who's into EV's?

I park across the street. There would be no way for me to charge from home. The closest charging station is 20 minutes away. Not ready for prime time. IMO.

Edit: I’m also a motor-head, so I prefer internal combustion engines that actually make noise.

I park across the street. There would be no way for me to charge from home. The closest charging station is 20 minutes away. Not ready for prime time. IMO.

Edit: I’m also a motor-head, so I prefer internal combustion engines that actually make noise.

It's definitely not for everyone. For me, I prefer the extra torque available over noise. 😁
I'd imagine that it would be a pain for someone living in the city to find a charger as well.

That's a hard pass from me. I own a hybrid, and it's the most impossible vehicle to have serviced I have ever owned. No way would I go full EV.
My next vehicle with be air aspirated, and have no computer in it at all if I have anything to say about it
Now let me go plug into my computer that's masquerading as an amp and play some guitar.

I think electric is definitely something that has to happen for many reasons. But personally, I still prefer my vehicles to run on explosions. They may need to be clean explosions, but explosions all the same.

I kind of inherited my daughter's Prius C, which I've bitched some about here, and I stand by those bitchings. I know it's the runt of EVs, but still.

Having to drive it every few days to keep the starter battery from dying is dumb for an eco vehicle. Service has been expensive when needed, and many garden variety service guys won't touch em. Seriously underpowered, which is fine mostly, except when it's borderline dangerous. Definitely can't fit the Marshall cabs I don't have or want.

Plus side: It does get great mileage. Very quiet. Easy to park because small.

Last edited:
For me, this truck will do everything I need a truck to do. It'll go as far as I'm willing to sit still for without needing a break, it'll tow as big a trailer as I ever see myself pulling outside of work (where we use a Ram 2500 Big Horn for that), and it'll be cheap to run. 99% of the power will come from a 240v outlet in my garage, and there's 240v drops all around the building for the other EV drivers at my company (and they don't charge us to use them either).

Now since it's an F-150 it's not going to actually fit in the garage, so now I can think about a remodel where that garage space gets a renovation turning it into more space without officially upping the square footage of the living space.

Having done a couple of cross country trips in hybrids, I'm all for getting one at some point. If I got an electric, I'd really need to have two vehicles, as sometimes I exceed the range. A couple of years ago, I'd say I could get an electric and rent a car when I needed more range, but being able to rent something isn't a guarantee anymore.

For the last two years I've owned a Tesla Model Y. I've been very happy with it, and I can't imagine ever going back to gas powered cars. For me, perhaps the biggest difference in driving is regenerative braking / one-pedal driving; that and the instant acceleration. It's a joy to drive.

Oh, and as for engine noise, if you like to listen to music while driving, you will notice a difference.

Ok so it wasnt just me “autofilling” to the speakers!

We’d like to go hybrid on our next vehicle. We’ll have to get a charger wired up for our house though - dont even have an outdoor outlet in the front!

Ok so it wasnt just me “autofilling” to the speakers!

We’d like to go hybrid on our next vehicle. We’ll have to get a charger wired up for our house though - dont even have an outdoor outlet in the front!
Adding a 240v outlet and a Level 2 DC charger to your house is definitely a value add.

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 10.00.35 AM.png

A little further into this guy's video and he calculates (correctly ) that the gas/kWh break even point is $1.29/gal.

My off-peak kwh rate here in Tucson is $0.09, which drives that ratio even further.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom