Whole Step Drop

jakbur

Experienced
Resisting buying a Line 6 Variax Standard but I need to be able to drop 2 half steps for mostly rhythm on some songs.
What's your opinion on the AX3 for this purpose?

Just repeating what others have said. The tracking is so fast and transparent it's completely usable, especially for just 1 step.

I have something I tracked in drop-B with one guitar, picked up my drop-D guitar and recorded another section of the same riff and aside from pickup differences, I could notice nothing out of the ordinary.

What are good settings to use with virtual capo? I play cleanish and with just 1/2 step down the sound is not as clean of artifacts as my digitech drop, worse with 1 step down...

What are good settings to use with virtual capo? I play cleanish and with just 1/2 step down the sound is not as clean of artifacts as my digitech drop, worse with 1 step down...

I dont touch any extra settings, I just set the pitch shift. I also dont get any artifacts.

Are you sure you arent just hearing the sound of your guitar mixing with the shifted sound?

Where in the chain do you place the pitch block? Probably works best early in the chain.

Where in the chain do you place the pitch block? Probably works best early in the chain.
Yeah, for this right behind the inputblock. Be sure to set the tracking to inputblock; eventhough the pitchblock is right behind the inputblock it still makes a little difference compared to block-in.

I've also been experiencing a number of warbles and weird sounds with chords, using the looper so It's not my acoustic sound mixing with it.
That's what I'm experiencing, mostly when I attack the strings gently, that I make a lot as I play with fingers 75% of the time.

That's what I'm experiencing, mostly when I attack the strings gently, that I make a lot as I play with fingers 75% of the time.
Playing with your fingers definitely adds some weird vibrations/harmonics sometimes. The more precise the input, the better the pitch detection, so I could see that affecting it.

In my experience over many years,... reducing by filtering out the TONAL harmonic content of any given note/chord going to the input of a pitch conversion device greatly increases clarity and reduces the possibility of producing 'note-glitches'... then, ADD the filtered out tone back in AFTER the pitch conversion device.
The reason this works well for me is;
The pitch conversion device also trys to convert the most dominant 'harmonic frequencies' contained therein, which has a tendency to overpower the pitch-devices brain, causing "confusion" in the converter, which in turn will produce a temporary random note-wandering/glitch due to too much immediate information until note stability is reestablished. I hope this is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom