Whole Lotta Love - Main riff tone match

Womac911

Inspired
About as close as I can get with this with the limited amount of time I have. I'd be be interested to see if Groovenut can get closer. I think this was challenging for the Axe because of the palm muting... I migth have to go through it and edit out the mutes to see what happens. :D
I used a Telecaster for this, based on 60cycle hum I have heard in the isolated tracks. What I've learned about them over the last few months of intense listening, I do not believe it is a Les Paul.

Let me know what you think, please.

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=742
(EDIT) As Groovenut pointed out below, the original preset lost it's tone match information. Can't figure out why, but I'm pretty sure this will contain the correct info.
Now I gotta compare the original recording withthe new tone and see how close it is. Seems to change a bit every time...

Original track panned hard right. Tone Match panned hard left. Please pardon my 'el Crappo playing... that's a hard rhythm to hold!

Last edited:
Womac, you should try and post and audio clip so we can hear your work in action. I will have a look at this tone and see what I can come up with.

Might be able to do that a bit later tonight BTW, I'm Macleod on TGP. We PM'ed about this there a couple weeks ago. Well, I broke down and got one.:D

Not sure if my playing will do it the justice it needs though, too busy with the day job for much playing, but I'll give it a go. :(

Clip is done.

Last edited:
I think that sounds pretty close as far as the dry tone goes. I will give it a go in the next day or so and see what I can come up with.

^^^ it definitely has that je ne sais quoi that's says POW! One of my fav rythm & lead sounds.... it has that edge/attack

So I was going to have a look at this preset tonight but I cant get any TMA info to show up. I have tried loading it a few different ways but no luck. Anyone else have this or is it just me?

So I was going to have a look at this preset tonight but I cant get any TMA info to show up. I have tried loading it a few different ways but no luck. Anyone else have this or is it just me?

Groove, I can't get it to load either, at least with Axe Edit. No Tone Matched patches load with AE. Pretty sure I saved it correctly.
Check your PM. Load preset, and then do a Tone Match....

Deleted the original and uploaded a new prest.. fixed link. Pretty sure this will contain the Tone Match data. It loads!

Last edited:
Okay, so I replaced the amplifier board in my left powered monitor today. I wired it up and made sure everything was working and then pulled it apart again to mount it in the box, screwed everything back together, then went for a run and was listening to Led Zeppelin II.

I just got home, saw this thread and that sound was fresh in my ears so I had a listen and thought, "I don't know, that guitar tone on the left sounds super thin, good feel but not really anything like the recording". Then I though, but this is the Axe forum, these guys usually know what they're talking about...

Listen closer to left monitor: something's amiss, sounds like a speaker lead fell off of the low frequency driver and all I was hearing was the tweeter. Out came the screwdrivers again. Oops.

Great tone match! The main discrepancies were that you were more metronomic and bent notes in tune.

Lesson learnt, don't doubt other forum members.

You know the more I listen to the isolated track as well as a looped intro track, the more I think it's two guitars tracks overdubbed. The amount of fuzz on just the low notes doesn't jive with the clean-ness of the palm mutes or the chords. If you listen very closely on the isolated track you can hear another gtr track holding some notes over the other as well. This might make getting it exact impossible. I am kind of working on it using the Supro and it's very close especially with a Tele.

Does anyone remember what Cliff said about the Supro tone controls in the Axefx? I know the real amp only has one tone knob.

You know the more I listen to the isolated track as well as a looped intro track, the more I think it's two guitars tracks overdubbed. The amount of fuzz on just the low notes doesn't jive with the clean-ness of the palm mutes or the chords. If you listen very closely on the isolated track you can hear another gtr track holding some notes over the other as well. This might make getting it exact impossible. I am kind of working on it using the Supro and it's very close especially with a Tele.

Does anyone remember what Cliff said about the Supro tone controls in the Axefx? I know the real amp only has one tone knob.

I've been thinking the same thing. Listen closely, and you can hear "something" die just before the palm muting starts, and the muting gets just a little thinner sounding. There are definitely some notes that get played over.
Did you catch the "woops" in the palm muting rhythm just after the solo?

I need some cool aid, baby, I'm not fooooooooolin
I'm gonna send ya back to schooooooooolin
Way down inside, yoaw honey you need it...

...does'nt 'bork..bork..bork, bork' fit in the lyrics somewhere in that song? ;)

sounded pretty dang close here! nice job to the OP!

I've been thinking the same thing. Listen closely, and you can hear "something" die just before the palm muting starts, and the muting gets just a little thinner sounding. There are definitely some notes that get played over.
Did you catch the "woops" in the palm muting rhythm just after the solo?

Yeah I am almost positive there is an overdub guitar with a fuzz on it doing the B E B E line. That section is a completely different tone and fuzz level than the E chord and palm mutes.

i don't suppose you could help me out buddy. i am in the un"fortunate" position of only having an axe standard. i am looking everywhere for a tone that resembles the whole lotta love studio version sound of JP.
i have a gibson SG and a LP standard. would you be at all able to help me by guiding me through how to obtain one (as i don't have the tone cloining facility)

Back
Top Bottom