Whoever added MBC tutorial to Wiki, please fix

tlainhart

Inspired
I just went to the online Wiki manual and see that the topic organization is messed, probably due to the insertion of a tutorial on MBC. Could whoever made these edits please fix? Otherwise I'll fix it this evening.

tlainhart said:
I just went to the online Wiki manual and see that the topic organization is messed, probably due to the insertion of a tutorial on MBC. Could whoever made these edits please fix? Otherwise I'll fix it this evening.

I noticed this right a way. I've been trying to fix it. I haven't figured out way to get it lining up right. It is going to require some reformatting.

What's wrong? I think it looks nice.

However, I do think the Content page is a mess, mainly because pages are named inefficiently. There have been quite a few additions lately, many are emulation-settings of famous effects. For example the wah's. There's a "wah"-page, and a "wahwah"-page ( actually linked to the same page), and a "Clyde Wah"-page (which is also detailed at the bottom of the "wah"-page) and an "Ibanez WH10"-page and a "Bad Horsie Wah"-page and a "Jay Mitchell Wah"-page, all strewn across the alfabet and the Contents-page accordingly. If all of these were named with the block name in front, like "Wah: Clyde Wah", or "Wah: Ibanez WH10" then we'd have a nice row of wah emulations in one spot. Same with drives. There's a Barber LTD and MESA V-twin and a T-Rex dr. Swamp and I'll stop here.

Even better would be one page where all these emulations would have their own spot, of course... The "Wah emulations of famous pedals"-page. Same with drives and choruses and phasers and such. I think one of the effects was started

There's a page named "Multi-band compressor", and a page named "multiband compressor tutorial". At least these are named consecutively, but couldn't the tutorial be added underneath the other page?
There's a "Vocoder"-page and a "Using the vocoder"-page. Fortunately U is close to V in the alfabet.

There are two pages named Axe-FX Ultra, only the second has ULTRA in ALL CAPS.

Dutch said:
What's wrong? I think it looks nice.

However, I do think the Content page is a mess, mainly because pages are named inefficiently. There have been quite a few additions lately, many are emulation-settings of famous effects. For example the wah's. There's a "wah"-page, and a "wahwah"-page ( actually linked to the same page), and a "Clyde Wah"-page (which is also detailed at the bottom of the "wah"-page) and an "Ibanez WH10"-page and a "Bad Horsie Wah"-page and a "Jay Mitchell Wah"-page, all strewn across the alfabet and the Contents-page accordingly. If all of these were named with the block name in front, like "Wah: Clyde Wah", or "Wah: Ibanez WH10" then we'd have a nice row of wah emulations in one spot. Same with drives. There's a Barber LTD and MESA V-twin and a T-Rex dr. Swamp and I'll stop here.

Even better would be one page where all these emulations would have their own spot, of course... The "Wah emulations of famous pedals"-page. Same with drives and choruses and phasers and such. I think one of the effects was started

There's a page named "Multi-band compressor", and a page named "multiband compressor tutorial". At least these are named consecutively, but couldn't the tutorial be added underneath the other page?
There's a "Vocoder"-page and a "Using the vocoder"-page. Fortunately U is close to V in the alfabet.

There are two pages named Axe-FX Ultra, only the second has ULTRA in ALL CAPS.

He is talking about the index of the WIKI manual. The content page isn't meant to be used the way you are using it. It just a list of all the documents. Having those things as individual documents allow them to be transcluded into other documents. So you could have the documents included in the WIKI manual, in a document on effects, or whatever. The format follow the WIKI guidlines and was decided upon when the WIKI was set up. If you actually looked at the code for both the ULTRA and ultra pages, you would see they actually point to the same page. I forgot the reason why that happened, but there was a reason behind it.

tlainhart said:
javajunkie said:
He is talking about the index of the WIKI manual. The content page isn't meant to be used the way you are using it.

Right and right.
Well, sometimes the easiest way to find something is the content page.

Maybe I'm not educated enough, but how do I get to, f.i., the Barber LTD emulation, otherwise? Or how do I find out which wah's settings have been entered?

Dutch said:
tlainhart said:
javajunkie said:
He is talking about the index of the WIKI manual. The content page isn't meant to be used the way you are using it.

Right and right.
Well, sometimes the easiest way to find something is the content page.

Maybe I'm not educated enough, but how do I get to, f.i., the Barber LTD emulation, otherwise? Or how do I find out which wah's settings have been entered?

Type in Barber LTD emulation in the search. It brings up the effects settings page. We can also add frequently accessed pages to the front page. If you look in there you will find the wah settings as well. If the tips and tutorials sections were updated a bit most of that ought to be found there as well.

I use the content page all the time as well, but I understand it is going to show me everything.

The "Content" page just lists sub-pages of "Main" - it's driven off the name of the article. I agree that it would be helpful if there was agreed upon organization principles behind assigning article names for the reason that you describe, but it's hard to get people to adhere to those, even if they existed.

Here's my take on organization:

. The wiki "manual" should capture only the manual, and perhaps a little more detail. E.G. I modified the manual to include a refined definition of the "Tweed" amp model because of the confusion there (it's a BF Deluxe, with the default tone stack), and modified the Crystals for more clarity. Typically this extra information comes from Cliff.

. Stuff like the MBC tutorial should go elsewhere, e.g. the Tips/Tutorial manual, or even a separate manual. It's a mistake to put it into the manual.

. The Wah and Compressor emulations you reference should to elsewhere, say the Tips/Tutorial manual, or a dedicated "emulation" manual.

tlainhart said:
The "Content" page just lists sub-pages of "Main" - it's driven off the name of the article. I agree that it would be helpful if there was agreed upon organization principles behind assigning article names for the reason that you describe, but it's hard to get people to adhere to those, even if they existed.

Here's my take on organization:

. The wiki "manual" should capture only the manual, and perhaps a little more detail. E.G. I modified the manual to include a refined definition of the "Tweed" amp model because of the confusion there (it's a BF Deluxe, with the default tone stack), and modified the Crystals for more clarity. Typically this extra information comes from Cliff.

. Stuff like the MBC tutorial should go elsewhere, e.g. the Tips/Tutorial manual, or even a separate manual. It's a mistake to put it into the manual.

. The Wah and Compressor emulations you reference should to elsewhere, say the Tips/Tutorial manual, or a dedicated "emulation" manual.

I took that philosophy, others disagreed and opted to transclude the articles into the WIKI manual. There is an effects settings page for the emulations.

It is important to note that the documents are not really in the WIKI manual, but have a tag that places the contents of a page within the document (transclusion). In this way, you can have one document show up in multiple places w/o having to retype or hyperlink.

javajunkie said:
I took that philosophy, others disagreed and opted to transclude the articles into the WIKI manual. There is an effects settings page for the emulations.

It is important to note that the documents are not really in the WIKI manual, but have a tag that places the contents of a page within the document (transclusion). In this way, you can have one document show up in multiple places w/o having to retype or hyperlink.

The transclusion stuff works well (well, except when there's TOC problems :-( ), but the problem I have is that with more "non-Fractal" articles in the wiki "manual", it becomes harder to track updates from Fractal. But, if you were already voted down I won't argue.

javajunkie said:
Type in Barber LTD emulation in the search. It brings up the effects settings page. We can also add frequently accessed pages to the front page. If you look in there you will find the wah settings as well. If the tips and tutorials sections were updated a bit most of that ought to be found there as well.

I use the content page all the time as well, but I understand it is going to show me everything.
Not wanting to ruffle feathers here.

But see, I like to browse. Window shop. See what's in there. I understand it will show me everything. I want to see everything. I just think it would just be nice if it were shown a bit more orderly manner... What if I don't know which drives were modelled... Or which wah's. Or the correct spelling.

Proposed measures would work in that direction. But I also know about getting people to follow guidelines. Even if they're simple. :roll:
If there would be only one page where a whole bunch of emulations would be listed, would people still make new pages? Or if all of the wah pages had "wah:" in front of them? Have a line on the frontpage like : "when adding pages, please start page title with the block it refers to"?

That's all.

Anyway, don't go putting any time into it, though. Not worth the hassle, I guess.

tlainhart said:
javajunkie said:

The transclusion stuff works well (well, except when there's TOC problems :-( ), but the problem I have is that with more "non-Fractal" articles in the wiki "manual", it becomes harder to track updates from Fractal. But, if you were already voted down I won't argue.
fwiw, I agree... the manual section should only contain the actual manual(s). always thought it could use a folder structure too, so that the manual doesn't get overwritten with other articles with the same subject (title) as an article in the manual.

tlainhart said:
javajunkie said:

I agree.

Dutch said:
javajunkie said:

Not wanting to ruffle feathers here.

But see, I like to browse. Window shop. See what's in there. I understand it will show me everything. I want to see everything. I just think it would just be nice if it were shown a bit more orderly manner... What if I don't know which drives were modelled... Or which wah's. Or the correct spelling.

Proposed measures would work in that direction. But I also know about getting people to follow guidelines. Even if they're simple. :roll:
If there would be only one page where a whole bunch of emulations would be listed, would people still make new pages? Or if all of the wah pages had "wah:" in front of them? Have a line on the frontpage like : "when adding pages, please start page title with the block it refers to"?

That's all.

Anyway, don't go putting any time into it, though. Not worth the hassle, I guess.

That's what I was trying to say, the content page isn't about order (other than all articles in alphabetical order).

Back
Top Bottom