Who was your first Concert?

Kenny Rogers & Susan Anton I think like 1976, with my parents. (not my thing but was a very good show)
Oh I almost forgot opening act Gallagher (and yes he smashed the water melon).

My first that I had interest Black Sabbath & Van Halen 1979

Grateful Dead in '86. I was 11 and everyone there kept trying to sell me acid lol... Only knew a few songs and there was this fat lady next to me wearing a curtain for a dress wiggling around and an Iranian next to me who told me Bruce Hornsby was the first act. I freaked out because my cousin, who took me, was smoking a joint with a guy who I found out later was the security guard.

p.s ... Shotgunn... WTF BRO

Heart, opening for Loggins & Messina (who were on their farewell tour). I had never heard of Heart before that show; they were superb. Universal Amphitheater, Studio City, before it had a roof on it.

Pink Floyd (Meddle tour) 5/3/72. Mahavishnu Orchestra (Birds of Fire), Procol Harum/Eagles both fall of '72 - all at the Kennedy Center. While not "first", can't leave out Allman Bros, Grateful Dead & The Band at the Watkins Glenn Summer Jam 7/28/73 - epic.

First would have been Tower of Power opening for Santana in 1970. A weird, low ceilinged, cement convention space at Cal Expo, long, long before they built an ampitheater there. Third show was in that same space, Loggins-Messina opening for Elvin Bishop and Stoneground. I would have been 13 for the first, maybe 14 for the 2nd. 15 for the Dead at Sacramento Memorial in '72. But the most revelatory was probably the Mahavishnu Orchestra playing 2nd bill to Emerson, Lake, and Palmer the year after. I had never heard of them. How on earth does a three piece band follow that?

The first band I saw was 30.10.75 Newcastle City Hall, Barclay James Harvest supported by Café Society with Tom Robinson. A friend of mine had a spare ticket and took me along, followed a few days later by Nov 25 at the same venue Uriah Heep.

Prior to those band type concerts I went to lots of Operas, Organ and Piano recitals and rehearsals for them as my parents were performing in them, but the first one of those I really couldn't guess.

Back
Top Bottom