Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

Oooooh, Backups are your friend!! That's a depressing thought losing everything and having no backups!! sounds like something went south on your update! Did you reinstall and reset system? re initialize blocks ? amp, Cab?

Is there a bug with Global blocks in beta v5? I thought it was just a Delay Global glitch.

Yeah I'm getting some weird side sounds that I think I didn't have before. Actually it was my favorite amp at one point and here's a clip I made with it back then: And here's how it sounds now. This is not the same guitar though so that might be it but I didn't expect there to be such a big difference. In the end of that clip I'm turning the high cut all the way up and down all the time.. I can hear a difference but that's not as big as I remember it being. And... I've never done a backup of my presets and now that I went to my gigging presets they are all blank. EVERYTHING that used global blocks is empty. :( Feel like quitting.. life. :D

The different guitar you used - is it hotter than the one you used before? Because I realised that the artificial hiss I get intensifies when the pickup has more output.

The problem is so subtle in this recording that you can't hear it at all. :)

Yeah I know - but I can tell you when played through a guitar cab it sounds like my son's plastic guitar... You can't stand it for more than a few minutes without going nuts.

Yeah I know - but I can tell you when played through a guitar cab it sounds like my son's plastic guitar... You can't stand it for more than a few minutes without going nuts.
Wondering how something can be more apparent on a playback system with way less bandwidth and way more awkward ferquency response? Maybe some anomalous frequencies doubling up on eachother causing spikes?

Not saying you don't hear it, btw. Just think it's odd.

I was having some problems with the AC on 12.02. I picked another amp and never revisited it.

Yeah I'm getting some weird side sounds that I think I didn't have before. Actually it was my favorite amp at one point and here's a clip I made with it back then:...And here's how it sounds now... can hear a difference but that's not as big as I remember it being.
Its really hard to compare a naked guitar tone to a full mix. Where is the point on the recording where you don't like the tone?

... I've never done a backup of my presets and now that I went to my gigging presets they are all blank. EVERYTHING that used global blocks is empty. :( Feel like quitting.. life. :D
Ouch. Sorry to hear of your loss. To everybody reading this...BACK UP YOUR STUFF!!

The different guitar you used - is it hotter than the one you used before? Because I realised that the artificial hiss I get intensifies when the pickup has more output.

Yeah this guitar is definitely hotter. I did compensate with the input volume. I guess if nothing's wrong then this guitar sounds like ass through the AC30 although it is the best guitar I own. :D

Can you record the cab sound?

Can you record the cab sound?

Not at the moment. Have to go fetch the mixer from the rehearsal room first which I'll do within the next few days. Don't have a mic preamp at home unfortunately. Come to think of it - I could use the built-in mic of my laptop but the quality will be bad - but maybe sufficient to show what is meant. Will have a go at it tomorrow German time - got an important meeting tomorrow morning and got to hit the sack now.

Yeah this guitar is definitely hotter. I did compensate with the input volume. I guess if nothing's wrong then this guitar sounds like ass through the AC30 although it is the best guitar I own. :D

I have a guitar that sounds like ass through an AC30 ... I always thought it was me, but no... my 90's USA Strat and AC30's do not get along.

I've had good success with the new update. I would like to give myself credit for not knowing what hell I'm doing which makes it that much easier understanding the axe fx haha.

I have a similar problem with the top boost - there is this strange high frequency hiss when chords ring out (using matrix and guitar cab). Sounds artificial...

Note that the particular AC-30 used for the model has this scratchy high end. This is reflected in the high Dyn Pres value. It's a hand-wired version and that can lead to this type of sound as the parasitics cause boosting of the very high frequencies when the amp is driven hard.

The obvious solution is to turn Dyn Pres down.

However we tested the model direct, through power amp and cabs and with headphones and don't hear anything unusual.

The preamp sag is tied to Supply Sag so if you turn down Supply Sag you'll get less preamp sag. I'm reticent to add another parameter, there's already so many that new users are bewildered, befuddled and perplexed enough.

:lol We promise Cliff - we'll get over it! :encouragement:

Note that the particular AC-30 used for the model has this scratchy high end. This is reflected in the high Dyn Pres value. It's a hand-wired version

Can you tell me which AC-30 (year, model) was used? I've been asking this for awhile but may have missed the answer. Now I know it was at least hand-wired. I finally got an AC30H2 which essentially has the regular and TB channels. Also, I assume this refers to the TB model.

Today I reinstalled FW12.03beta5. The strange hiss is gone. Sounds spectacular now.

Which I do not understand...

I installed b5 when it was published. Near the end of the upload process (done via Bot) an error occurred telling me to shut the unit down and restart it. After booting b4 was still on it.
I installed b5 again and everything went fine. Checked in Utilities - b5 was installed.
Then the strange hiss and the early dying of sound occurred.
Today I reinstalled b5 and now all is good.

Very strange...

Sorry to have bothered you with it - should have reinstalled b5 first - but I never thought something might be off after Utilities told me b5 was installed successfully. Very very strange...

So.... Everyone is comfortable in trying out FW12.03beta5... I am going to give it a go tonight... Thanks

Today I reinstalled FW12.03beta5. The strange hiss is gone. Sounds spectacular now.

I installed b5 when it was published. Near the end of the upload process (done via Bot) an error occurred telling me to shut the unit down and restart it. After booting b4 was still on it.
I installed b5 again and everything went fine. Checked in Utilities - b5 was installed.
Then the strange hiss and the early dying of sound occurred.
Today I reinstalled b5 and now all is good.

Very strange...

Sorry to have bothered you with it - should have reinstalled b5 first - but I never thought something might be off after Utilities told me b5 was installed successfully. Very very strange...

Strange? Not at all, and give yourself some credit for your problem solving and solution too ... after all ... you are a certified Guitar Doc!!! ;)

Just an aside about backups - the bank dumps take very little disk space. I make a habit of saving them regularly - really, after any time I do any tweaking - with the date in the name. If I should happen to mung something up, it's very easy to backtrack.

Guitardoc, it's great that everything is back the way it should be; I know it's very distressing when you know something just isn't right.

Today I reinstalled FW12.03beta5. The strange hiss is gone.

Very strange...

...I never thought something might be off after Utilities told me b5 was installed successfully. Very very strange...
That's been a puzzling aspect of the Axe-Fx for me, too. It's the only gear I know where a bad software load can result in odd behavior instead of a dead unit.

Back
Top Bottom