Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

Wow! Stellar work as always, Cliff!

I'm digging the new DC30 so much! Truly one of the biggest highlights, IMO, of all the beta releases in this thread. Another highlight is the unification of the pre- and poweramp sections; it clearly improves the feel of all amps.

As for the discussion about implementing the unification idea much sooner, here's what i have to say: Cliff is NOT stupid, in fact he's the EXACT opposite of stupid. If he can't find an immediate solution to a problem, however obvious it may be, chances are that the particular problem is much tougher than it seems. Hell, I'm sure he read almost anything worth reading about tube amps, he's also VERY dedicated to his product and on top of all that he has an amazing electrical engineering background. I couldn't imagine someone more suitable and skilled to push the boundaries of digital amp and effects modelling than him. Just the fact that he single-handedly invented and produced a unit like the axe fx ultra should be a tell tale sign of pure genius.I don't see how questioning his ability, reasoning or solving and recognizing problems fits into this once you consider the facts written a few sentences ago.

Now to a different topic alltogether: out of phase delay feedback -100% / +100%. Can someone post a clip that showcases this out of phase feedback? Maybe some ideas or advice on how the pros use it?

Thank you very much for all the work you do documenting this device. It's very helpful.

I'd like to see the internal amp number associated with the amp model in the description or title for the description. For instance, Matchbox D-30 (096), Car Roamer (042), etc. in addition to the list at the front of the collection. Or, perhaps added as a line item? I print all this stuff out and bind it in an "Axe Fx Documentation Master", and as I peruse it I'd like to know where to go or what to use without referring to an index or TOC. Would anyone else be interested in this? If so, I'll edit the WIKI to include those.

Sure, good idea!

Loaded Beta 5, no issues. Bread and butter patches still all good.
Will rail my Q12a first chance I get .

Thank you Cliff !!!

I don't think I hear much, if any, difference but the feel is definitely different. It feels a lot easier to play like I don't need to press on the strings as hard.

I'm glad you said this. That's exactly how I would have described it, but I was afraid to say so because it sounds nuts. :lol

Great update!

I
I was never trying to insult just commenting on another users post. What I said still remains what I meant to say.

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. how many companies do you actually know who CONSTANTLY not only try but actually do improve their products on a regular basis (no matter how obvious something may seem to you) ?
doing it in the analog world may be "easy" as there's years of knowledge openly available, in the digital world not so much. taking a product as far as FAS, and especially Cliff has, is in my book remarkable.

So happy to see the DC-30 in here! That was my favorite model on the 11R and one of my favorite amps.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know which channel was modeled? They're both different in their own ways.

All models are affected. The harder the virtual power amp is driven the more noticeable the improved preamp modeling will be.

Before I was treating the models as separate preamps and power amps as though you were using a rack system with a preamp unit and a power amp. I did some tests and noticed that there is quite a bit of interaction between the power amp and preamp in an integrated amp (combo or head). So now the modeling feeds the power supply voltage from the power amp algorithm back into the preamp algorithm. As the B+ sags (and the screens droop and bounce) the preamp is affected as it will in a real amp.

What happens is that as you hold a note or chord the B+ sags. The preamp voltage sags as well but at a slower rate due to all the extra capacitance and resistance between the screen voltage and the preamp tubes. Eventually the preamp voltages sag enough to compress 10-20% depending on the amp. This is a couple dB or so of compression. It's a slow compression though so your pick attack is unaffected.

I don't think I hear much, if any, difference but the feel is definitely different. It feels a lot easier to play like I don't need to press on the strings as hard.

I imagine the low end will be affected as the compression will cause less drive into the power amp and therefore less saturation at the resonance of the speaker.

I haven't tried 5 yet and was wondering since I use a real amp and cabs and I also leave amp sims on, will this new change be good or bad for my setup? Great is what I'm hoping for!

Did anyone else encounter an issue with the Master Feedback going to 100% in the Delay block?

Oh my - turned on my amp and it was an insane low frequency oscillating feedback loop clipping OUT1. Scared the hell out of me!

Problem is that now I don't remember what I had the feedback set to before and restoring my backed up patches yields the same results... :(

I assume this is related to this:

Delay and Multi-Delay blocks feedback parameters now have a range of -100% to 100%. This allows interesting effects via out-of-phase feedback.

Regarding the new preamp / poweramp interaction algorithm: does anyone else hear a lot more bloom on the amps you would expect? IE, the Wrecks, Dumbles, cranked Marshalls, etc?

I'm assuming we would experience this a lot more on the NMV and power-amp distortion based amps vs the more gainy pre-amp style amps (with the exception of cranking the master volume, obviously; typically the high gainers are run with a lower MV anyway to keep them from falling apart with all the preamp gain).

Did anyone else encounter an issue with the Master Feedback going to 100% in the Delay block?

Oh my - turned on my amp and it was an insane low frequency oscillating feedback loop clipping OUT1. Scared the hell out of me!

Problem is that now I don't remember what I had the feedback set to before and restoring my backed up patches yields the same results... :(

I assume this is related to this:
are you using Global blocks for your Delays ?

Just updated - Everything sounds like crap! :eek:) Oops, that was my POD 1.0 I updated....nevermind! ;o)

Seriously, I *love* this new update, and again congratulate Cliff & the Fractal team for a beautiful job of converting the best analog sounds into state-of-the-art digital!

Seriously, I *love* this new update, and again congratulate Cliff & the Fractal team for a beautiful job of converting the best analog sounds into state-of-the-art digital!

I auditioned the latest beta 5 all evening and also love this update; I've been playing a lot of the cleanish/Class A/AC 30 types of amps with the latest betas and I'm seriously digging how great they feel. The refinements in this beta series are amazing...great stuff!!!

Back
Top Bottom