Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

Tried to update from 12.02 to the 12.03 beta 5 and while the axe was in the programming state, the screen went blank and had some strange noise comming from the speakers.
Turned the axe off and after 5 secs on again and now everything is stuck with all lights on etc.
That had happened to me before and G66 sent me an eprom which I installed and then reloaded the (back then) latest firmware. It worked like a charm then, but what do I do now?
Do I have to contact G66 or is another way of reflashing the eprom?
I remember reading something along these lines somewhere but I'm not sure what to do exactly.
Any tips?

I had the exact same thing happen. During the upgrade the screen went blank and now when I power up all the lights come on but no screen... I guess I'll be contacting support.

I had the exact same thing happen. During the upgrade the screen went blank and now when I power up all the lights come on but no screen... I guess I'll be contacting support.

I was excited to try the beta, but maybe I will wait since 2 people have posted an EPROM issue while updating. Don't want to brick my axe.

I don't know if it is new fw syndrome or not, but the mark iic+ bright sounds much more natural to me now (especially the low end, a little less stiff than before, it growls better).
I might just be losing my mind, 'cause I have been playing for hours :)
Does the new update also affects the high gain amps? My short experience with it screams 'YES'!.

Tried to update from 12.02 to the 12.03 beta 5 and while the axe was in the programming state, the screen went blank and had some strange noise comming from the speakers.
Turned the axe off and after 5 secs on again and now everything is stuck with all lights on etc.
That had happened to me before and G66 sent me an eprom which I installed and then reloaded the (back then) latest firmware. It worked like a charm then, but what do I do now?
Do I have to contact G66 or is another way of reflashing the eprom?
I remember reading something along these lines somewhere but I'm not sure what to do exactly.
Any tips?

Backup your user/downloaded presets, install factory default presets and retry. I had the same issue and it was either a corrupt user or a corrupt downloaded preset.

Here's my deal in a nutshell:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/79289-user-preset-3rd-party-ir-analyzer-utility.html

For some reason the clean amp models I prefer to others, have an "above average" Power Tube Bias value.

I don't know if it is new fw syndrome or not, but the mark iic+ bright sounds much more natural to me now (especially the low end, a little less stiff than before, it growls better).
I might just be losing my mind, 'cause I have been playing for hours :)
Does the new update also affects the high gain amps? My short experience with it screams 'YES'!.

All models are affected. The harder the virtual power amp is driven the more noticeable the improved preamp modeling will be.

Before I was treating the models as separate preamps and power amps as though you were using a rack system with a preamp unit and a power amp. I did some tests and noticed that there is quite a bit of interaction between the power amp and preamp in an integrated amp (combo or head). So now the modeling feeds the power supply voltage from the power amp algorithm back into the preamp algorithm. As the B+ sags (and the screens droop and bounce) the preamp is affected as it will in a real amp.

What happens is that as you hold a note or chord the B+ sags. The preamp voltage sags as well but at a slower rate due to all the extra capacitance and resistance between the screen voltage and the preamp tubes. Eventually the preamp voltages sag enough to compress 10-20% depending on the amp. This is a couple dB or so of compression. It's a slow compression though so your pick attack is unaffected.

I don't think I hear much, if any, difference but the feel is definitely different. It feels a lot easier to play like I don't need to press on the strings as hard.

I imagine the low end will be affected as the compression will cause less drive into the power amp and therefore less saturation at the resonance of the speaker.

All models are affected. The harder the virtual power amp is driven the more noticeable the improved preamp modeling will be.

Before I was treating the models as separate preamps and power amps as though you were using a rack system with a preamp unit and a power amp. I did some tests and noticed that there is quite a bit of interaction between the power amp and preamp in an integrated amp (combo or head). So now the modeling feeds the power supply voltage from the power amp algorithm back into the preamp algorithm. As the B+ sags (and the screens droop and bounce) the preamp is affected as it will in a real amp.

What happens is that as you hold a note or chord the B+ sags. The preamp voltage sags as well but at a slower rate due to all the extra capacitance and resistance between the screen voltage and the preamp tubes. Eventually the preamp voltages sag enough to compress 10-20% depending on the amp. This is a couple dB or so of compression. It's a slow compression though so your pick attack is unaffected.

I don't think I hear much, if any, difference but the feel is definitely different. It feels a lot easier to play like I don't need to press on the strings as hard.

I imagine the low end will be affected as the compression will cause less drive into the power amp and therefore less saturation at the resonance of the speaker.

This is just so badass.

GO Cliff!!! Thanks for your continuing improvements on the already remarkable!

v

I just used the wrong word. The difference in the 'feel' is more noticeable than the difference in sound.

Anyway, it is so good.

Appreciate it, but fractal bot doesn't see my axe fx as connected after the problem occurred so reloading anything is not an option.

Use MidiOx and jumper pin method. One you load the FW with that method, backup ALL user/downloaded presets and load the factory presets/defaults. Then retry/reload as usual. I believe gen.2 Axe II's have an EPROM in them but would need confirmation on this... anyone?

Here are the instructions I got from Matt:
WARNING/AVIS! REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED PERSONNEL. SHOCK HAZARD! RISQUE DE CHOC ÉLECTRIQUE! TO REDUCE RISK DO NOT EXPOSE TO RAIN OR MOISTURE. DO NOT REMOVE COVER. NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS.

Instructions for qualified service technician:

1. Remove the screws holding the cover. Lift the cover slowly and note the fan wires running from the cover to the motherboard.

2. Disconnect the fan wire connector noting the location of the connector.

3. Locate the enclosed EPROM. Install the EPROM in the empty socket in the motherboard noting the orientation of the EPROM. The socket will have an indexed corner. Be sure to install the EPROM so that the indeces align.

4. Locate the enclosed 2-pin jumper. Place the jumper over the FLASH BOOT header J26.

5. Connect the power and turn the unit on. The unit should automatically show the firmware update screen.

6. Install the latest firmware. IMPORTANT: FRACTAL-BOT CANNOT BE USED TO INSTALL FIRMWARE DURING EMERGENCY RECOVERY. For instructions on how to use MIDI-OX or SNOIZE, see

http://support.fractalaudio.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/6/4/axe-fx-ii-firmware-update---midi-ox-or-snoize-sysex-librarian

Firmware includes an "Update Guide" with other information you should review.

7. Once the firmware update is complete, power the unit off and disconnect the power.

8. Remove the 2-pin jumper from J26. The EPROM can be left in the socket.

9. Reconnect power and turn the unit on and make sure it boots properly. Turn power off and disconnect power.

10. Plug the fan connector into the fan header and reinstall the cover. Make sure to orient the cover so that the fan is over the heatsinks.

Last edited:
Appreciate it, but fractal bot doesn't see my axe fx as connected after the problem occurred so reloading anything is not an option.

I would try this (from the manual):

Q: My Axe-Fx II is behaving erratically or “froze up” while I was using it. What should I do?
A: First try a simple reboot. If that doesn’t work, Disconnect MIDI, USB and MFC and hold RECALL while you power
on the unit. This will load an EMPTY preset, but won’t affect any of your saved settings.

"Preamp modeling now uses screen voltage from power amp in calculations rather than operating independently. This improves feel as preamp voltage will drop with power amp sag. The effect is more noticeable as Supply Sag is increased. Note that preamp sag has a long time constant and, as such, the initial pick attack is relatively unaffected while sustained sounds undergo compression. This results in a “chewier” sensation."

Does this still happen in the preamp section when the power amp is turned off or is it tied to the poweramp in a manner that shuts it off simultaneously?

If you still have the EPROM from the previous time simply use that.

Thnaks Cliff.
Worked like a charm.
It just took me so long to report back because I had to use midi and the update process (including the time it took me to take the axe out of the rack etc) took about half an hour.

Does this still happen in the preamp section when the power amp is turned off or is it tied to the poweramp in a manner that shuts it off simultaneously?

Yes and no. The power amp always runs. If you turn the power amp off by setting Supply Sag to zero then you won't get any compression since the supply won't sag. If you turn the power amp off globally then you will get the sag. If you don't want the sag make sure that you turn Supply Sag to zero.

I've enjoyed practicing in my studio through my KRK Rokit 6's purely for the convenience factor, but was never really bowled over by many of the tones I was getting. Primarily, the edge of break-up or mildly overdriven tones which sounded a bit unpleasant and I wasn't sure if it was the Axe Fx or the monitors themselves.

Fast forward to the past few weeks of updates, especially Beta 5...

Night and day difference really. Those types of tones sound ever-so-sweet now with the KRK's and I've been stuck on the new /13 models. Great stuff!

Yes and no. The power amp always runs. If you turn the power amp off by setting Supply Sag to zero then you won't get any compression since the supply won't sag. If you turn the power amp off globally then you will get the sag. If you don't want the sag make sure that you turn Supply Sag to zero.

Amazing, thank you.

I am excited that I actually have a choice. Ill experiment with this.

Turning the sag parameter off also negates any distortion happening in the modeled power section, correct?

Or does turning sag supply off only remove the compression from the power amp section?

Back
Top Bottom