Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

Please don't take offense to this ,it certainly isn't mean't that way, but The titanic shouldn't have sank , but it did. As with many, things in life, it's very simple , If Cliff chooses to throw out a beta for us to try, it's our choice to try it and our responsibility if it causes some issues, because we chose to try it ,it very clearly is labled Beta!! He allways make it clear! Issues are to be expected ! a software that has a known issue or bug is installed with that to be expected, until it's resolved there are two choices ,avoid the problem area or don't use the software till it's fixed. My DAW has issues that will probably never be resolved ,all of them do, If we wait for anything to be perfect before using it , it will be a long wait!

+1

Please don't take offense to this ,it certainly isn't mean't that way, but The titanic shouldn't have sank , but it did. As with many, things in life, it's very simple , If Cliff chooses to throw out a beta for us to try, it's our choice to try it and our responsibility if it causes some issues, because we chose to try it ,it very clearly is labled Beta!! He allways make it clear! Issues are to be expected ! a software that has a known issue or bug is installed with that to be expected, until it's resolved there are two choices ,avoid the problem area or don't use the software till it's fixed. My DAW has issues that will probably never be resolved ,all of them do, If we wait for anything to be perfect before using it , it will be a long wait!
Nailed IT!!
Don't load beta if you don't want to assume the risk.
I use my rig for gigging, therefore I don't load beta software under any circumstances and don't load public software until it's been in the wild for 4 weeks.

Well I downloaded it, but I can't say I make a good tester because I have not switched from the Mr.Gilmour Lead preset for two days straight. :lol

Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree. Anything that the user can do to lock up their machine should be classified as a show-stopper and no beta should be released until that issue can be resolved. We know that a corrupted preset can also lock up the AF2, again that simply shouldn't be possible.

Did you read the title of this thread?

Cliff is asking "Who wants to TEST some new Firmware?"

Practically everyone yelled "ME! ME! ME!!

To me it me it implies possible bugs, freezes and other faults as well as new amps or other upgraded features.

If you don't want to test .....don't upgrade to the beta FW.

Simple!

Did you read the title of this thread?

Cliff is asking "Who wants to TEST some new Firmware?"

Practically everyone yelled "ME! ME! ME!!

To me it me it implies possible bugs, freezes and other faults as well as new amps or other upgraded features.

If you don't want to test .....don't upgrade to the beta FW.

Simple!

Take it easy man, Mr.X never implied that it has ruined his gig...........
He only pointed out a perceived fault, which in my understanding is the entire point of a beta!

Ease up.

Last edited:
Take it easy man, Mr.X never implied that it has ruined his gig...........
He only pointed out a perceived fault, which in my understanding is the entire point of a beta!

Ease up.

My point made is in general and I didn't mean it personal.

If pointing out a perceived fault in beta firmware......? Isn't that the point?

however, his tone is a gripe.....

Cliff asked first.....before releasing the FW.

FAS gets enough gripes from official FW as it is. .....

but from beta FW where faults are expected??

Have put several hours on the latest beta, using AxeEdit or the front panel and the MFC, checking out the new amps and effects, etc. and haven't had any issues at all to report. Turning off the "Auto Depth" on the Dimension D after setting it to it's defaults created some alien sounds though heh. I'm loving the cathode bias/Class A modeling/amps in a big way. They sound and feel amazing.

Yikes, Sorry Cliff, I always thought it was a great idea to release your software/firmware releases to us in beta form to have more hands/heads troubleshooting any issues.

Sadly there are going to be those people who have trouble, and then point the blame towards you or anyone releasing the software/firmware. I can understand their frustrating, have had my own with the II but at some point people need to take responsibility for their decisions. They chose to install it, and they also chose to ignore any warnings that it could Brick or cause your system to have issues. Sadly those people who complain, must feel that "it can't happen tho them, so screw that warning" and then when it does happen "oh, it can't happen to me, this is Cliff's fault, not mine, It can't happen!!!! Unless it's someones else's fault, yes that it's, let me post in the forum, let me show the world, how this is stupid, how this beta ruined my unit, because "It's not my fault, it's Cliff's" he should of made sure 100% on every machine, NO NO not every machine MY MACHINE, MY SETUP, that no errors occur.

But since Cliff didn't, omg he's a jerk for allowing a beta to come across my desktop. HAHAHA ok/rantoff

Sorry again Cliff for thinking that all the users would greatly appreciate you doing this. I do appreciate it, and I hope any negative posts towards you releasing it as Beta, does not change you doing this in the future, but if it does I don't blame you.

About MIMIC: I'm of the opinion this is another 'forest for the trees' situation. It turns out to be more of an excuse to say 'it doesn't sound right' if it's NOT done in the MIMIC process. Even though many amps not under that process are very popular.

R

I don't think it's an excuse. Personally, I would like it if every amp in the Axe were MIMICed to the last knob. All these firmware updates, which everyone at FAS has worked tirelessly to give us free of charge, seem to aim for more accuracy with every new update. However, tone is tone. If it sounds good, that's the end of it. I judge the tone by its quality, not its source/accuracy.

All I am saying is that if we knew which models are MIMICed and which are not, we would know exactly what tonal behavior to expect from each amp and we could apply real life amp settings to them more accurately, which could be crucial for certain live rigs/recordings. This is not to say, of course, that one cannot get a good tone from an amp model which is not MIMICed. May I remind you that a couple of firmwares ago that was all we had. Approximations. And we loved it. As a matter of fact, I still do. In another thread I have mentioned that the Energyball is indispensable for me even though it is not (as I assume) MIMICed. Would I like a MIMICed Powerball as well? Hell yes. Would my patches sound better if it were a MIMICed Powerball? Maybe. Not necessarily. They could even sound worse for all we know. But that's not the point.

My point is this: I think it would be good to know which of the amps/pedals in the Axe are MIMICed and which aren't. That's all. Which category a certain amp falls under has nothing to do with its tone or popularity, in my opinion at least. Just its accuracy compared to the real thing. Something that is not MIMICed doesn't sound, of itself, bad. It just isn't as accurate. That's not a bad thing.

It is worth knowing though.

Last edited:
I don't think it's an excuse. Personally, I would like it if every amp in the Axe were MIMICed to the last knob. All these firmware updates, which everyone at FAS has worked tirelessly to give us free of charge, seem to aim for more accuracy with every new update. However, tone is tone. If it sounds good, that's the end of it. Dismiss the tone because of its quality, not its source.

All I am saying is that if we knew which models are MIMICed and which are not, we would know exactly what tonal behavior to expect from each amp and we could apply real life amp settings to them more accurately, which could be crucial for certain live rigs/recordings. This is not to say, of course, that one cannot get a good tone from an amp model which is not MIMICed. May I remind you that a couple of firmwares ago that was all we had. Approximations. And we loved it. As a matter of fact, I still do. In another thread I have mentioned that the Energyball is indispensable for me even though it is not (as I assume) MIMICed. Would my patches sound better if it were a MIMICed Powerball? Maybe. Not necessarily. They could even sound worse for all we know. But that's not the point.

My point is this: I think it would be good to know which of the amps/pedals in the Axe are MIMICed and which aren't. That's all. Which category a certain amp falls under has nothing to do with its tone or popularity, in my opinion at least. Just its accuracy compared to the real thing. Something that is not MIMICed doesn't sound, of itself, bad. It just isn't as accurate. That's not a bad thing.

It is worth knowing though.

Point taken.

I suppose I was trying to espouse listening to each amp in turn without feeling a need for 'perfect accuracy' as a benchmark. Its' more philosophical for me than anything else (thus no 'right' or 'wrong',) I don't believe that getting EVH's EXACT tone is in any way important...get close, and work on the style rather than tweak endlessly.

MIMIC is great, and I'm sure it's a useful tool if you know someone's exact setup and want to take a shot at recreation (or you've owned the amp and know it inside and out,) but in the end, I've found I rely on what I know of the Axe-FX rather than the original amp to be a more useful process in tone creation.

Enough! Back to beta discussion!

R

Point taken.

I suppose I was trying to espouse listening to each amp in turn without feeling a need for 'perfect accuracy' as a benchmark. Its' more philosophical for me than anything else (thus no 'right' or 'wrong',) I don't believe that getting EVH's EXACT tone is in any way important...get close, and work on the style rather than tweak endlessly.

MIMIC is great, and I'm sure it's a useful tool if you know someone's exact setup and want to take a shot at recreation (or you've owned the amp and know it inside and out,) but in the end, I've found I rely on what I know of the Axe-FX rather than the original amp to be a more useful process in tone creation.

Enough! Back to beta discussion!

R

You are right. We are derailing the thread. I guess I 'll just email FAS one of these days about this and hope they will feed my curiosity :geek.

Move along folks, nothing to see here. Let's all talk about beta stuff.

I have not posted anything in this thread yet (getting back on topic), so I'd like to thank Cliff for giving us the opportunity to beta test this firmware. I have had no issues with the beta and have been extremely impressed with the updates - especially the new amps. So thanks again Cliff and Happy New Year to you and to all of the FAS team. I genuinely appreciate all of you!

I have not posted anything in this thread yet (getting back on topic), so I'd like to thank Cliff for giving us the opportunity to beta test this firmware. I have had no issues with the beta and have been extremely impressed with the updates - especially the new amps. So thanks again Cliff and Happy New Year to you and to all of the FAS team. I genuinely appreciate all of you!

+1 on this. Thank you Cliff, Matt and FAS for the best year of my musical life - I feel renewed and energized - and for affording Fractalites worldwide with the opportunity to play with the latest while it's still in development. Talk about a family! :encouragement:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Anything that the user can do to lock up their machine should be classified as a show-stopper and no beta should be released until that issue can be resolved.

Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing.

it seems your main issue, judging from other comments in this thread, is that "things should not go wrong with anything Fractal releases."

from a strict customer standpoint, i can understand that notion. i paid for this, it should always work.

i feel the Axe has always been an explorative device, always pushing boundaries and expanding upon its unique feature set, really the only unit in the world that operates how it does. so with that in mind, i somewhat expect a bit of trial and error, even in public final releases of firmware.

however, to say that a Beta should not be released until the issues are resolved... well that's called a final release. by definition, a beta may have problems. you can choose to not load it until issues have been resolved.

you can also choose to not load the latest final release until many people have given it the "ok" to use.

Back
Top Bottom