Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong? When I insert a delay block I choose global and load and link. When I pulled up any of my presets, it showed that the global delay 1 was selected, but the change I made did not apply to any of the others. I was doing this all in Axe Edit. Did you make the change on the front panel?

I checked. Changed global block value in AE and the change was applied in all presets.

That`s what i am oftenly think, too. For "old" users, perhaps coming from GEN1 and growth over the time WITH the product in longterm - say Firmware releases; new added features - this may be cool. But when i think i would right nowdays chime into the Axe-world - it would just overwhelm me. I really won`t miss any of the parameters and possibilitys we have, but for "beginners" it can`t be stressed enough to give clear seperation in usibility and GUI design what`s basic and what`s advanced. In the past, at present and hopefully in the future this is IMHO given how it is. I did not know any hardware processor with that flexibility, capability, routing options with that logical, intuitive User interface! The Matrix and Block concept and the block page-views going from basic (first pages, knob view) to advanced (last pages, parameter line view) is still outstanding excellent! One big reason i love this box that much!

I agree, The AxFx is a complicated unit ,maybe users should only be able to access new parameters as they are ready for them when they have reached certain goals ,as in a video game !:)!

I agree, The AxFx is a complicated unit ,maybe users should only be able to access new parameters as they are ready for them when they have reached certain goals ,as in a video game !:)!

Or an especially complicated button combination like Mortal Kombat's death moves, once they master the front panel, then and only then are they ready for the advanced menus ;)

That`s what i am oftenly think, too. For "old" users, perhaps coming from GEN1 and growth over the time WITH the product in longterm - say Firmware releases; new added features - this may be cool. But when i think i would right nowdays chime into the Axe-world - it would just overwhelm me. I really won`t miss any of the parameters and possibilitys we have, but for "beginners" it can`t be stressed enough to give clear seperation in usibility and GUI design what`s basic and what`s advanced. In the past, at present and hopefully in the future this is IMHO given how it is. I did not know any hardware processor with that flexibility, capability, routing options with that logical, intuitive User interface! The Matrix and Block concept and the block page-views going from basic (first pages, knob view) to advanced (last pages, parameter line view) is still outstanding excellent! One big reason i love this box that much!

I see what you're saying, but multiple tabs per block really do worlds of good for allowing some users to keep it as simple as possible by shielding them from the more arcane stuff, while other users can dive deeper with minimal effort by shuffling over to the more advanced pages.

Basically, however many more advanced parameters are added, it's always just as easy as ever to stay on the first and second tabs of the amp block and forget about all the complex stuff... and still be able to dial in some of the best tones you'll ever get.

Personally, I'd consider myself a mid-level user in terms of understanding the parameters in the amp block. I have a decent handle on the majority but there are definitely more than a few whose functions still elude me. When I get curious and start exploring and happen upon a parameter I've forgotten about and the name doesn't help me remember, I just adjust it a bit and listen for any differences. I'll keep the setting at whatever sounds best and move on.

What I'm saying is that it's not scary or intimidating to have a page of unknown parameters to play with because I know that unlike with a real amp, even the wildest and most extreme settings can't break anything (permanently) and that I've got full license to go hog wild with all of them, so sometimes I do!

In other words, I don't think more exposed parameters will hurt anything, just like a few more entries in an encyclopedia probably wouldn't make it more confusing or cumbersome overall, as long as everything is arranged with some semblance of organization.

I'm still overwhelmed by this unit, I don't even know where to begin. For me, it has made learn a lot more about amps, eq's etc. My journey just began a couple of weeks ago................. it's definitely going to take me a couple of light years to fully understand this amazing unit :D

I was overwhelmed when I got my Ultra at FW 5.03. Still am.
I hardly think the overwhelmededness has changed much. From, like mountainous to Himalayanous? Mountains are pretty big already.

hope i am not repeating smth which is already mensioned...

fw 12 beta 5 and axe edit 3.00.03 (both latest versions) act funky.

when i go to amp and effect type the 2 new citrus amps didnt appear. citrus rv50 and terrier. i turned on off axe edit. now citrus rv50 is there but terrior doesnt
show up...if i choose the terrior on the front screen of axe, axe edit shows 1987x J model...any idea?

hope i am not repeating smth which is already mensioned...

fw 12 beta 5 and axe edit 3.00.03 (both latest versions) act funky.

when i go to amp and effect type the 2 new citrus amps didnt appear. citrus rv50 and terrier. i turned on off axe edit. now citrus rv50 is there but terrior doesnt
show up...if i choose the terrior on the front screen of axe, axe edit shows 1987x J model...any idea?

You need to refresh the definitions between Axe-Edit and the Axe-FX

From post 664 (and a few others)

In Axe-Edit....

Settings > preferences > refresh > Block definitions

It seems to do this automatically between major and minor firmware revisions, but not between betas for some reason.

I've just started tooling around with Beta5 and i'm...i'm...i'm quite blown away!!
I just can't believe how much better the sound is getting.

If you look at the schematic on the DC30, that's not true at all.

Also we already have an EF86 Vox style amp in the Morgan.

You're right in terms of gain, the first dual triode using both triode stages in parallel - there is also a cathode cap on the 3rd gain stage, thus gives the amp a bit more gain than a AC30. Aside from this, it's mostly the same circuit design - I bet with a bit of tweaking I can reach similar results. The EF86 channel features a six way Tone-Selector switch which is pretty much unique in his design......IMO

You're right in terms of gain, the first dual triode using both triode stages in parallel - there is also a cathode cap on the 3rd gain stage, thus gives the amp a bit more gain than a AC30. Aside from this, it's mostly the same circuit design - I bet with a bit of tweaking I can reach similar results. The EF86 channel features a six way Tone-Selector switch which is pretty much unique in his design......IMO

The six way tone selector is just a highpass filter that controls the amount of bass. It's nothing too fancy.

Just updated and for some reason my Vox amps sound really weird. Extremely weird! The hicut knob wasn't doing anything either. Could this be an Axe-Edit problem or is it in the firmware?

Back
Top Bottom