Who Wants to Test Some New Firmware? (12.03 Beta 5 UPDATE)

I spent most of the day on the matchless and a few others, then was thinking about a post with those descriptive words you tone hounds use. I don't have the lexicon, but there is a really sweet quality to some of these amps. It's like you can caress the notes and they just lift off the fingerboard, and there's so much texture to the sound, it almost seems like you can squeeze the neck a little and hear a change in timbre. A delicate touch with a strat is really satisfying through the axe. No tweaking, just play and play. There are a lot of interesting and profound things happening in this update. And no I'm not drunk, or at least I don't think I am.

What i like to think is that AxeFxII is not just a "products on the shelf"... but a "guitar tone project" in a constant developing!
Every fw update is a step forward... and the project is still growing and growing...
This thanks to the Hi-tech know-how from Cliff and the FAS Crew and the the approach/mood they have to the project: i think they always starts from a BIG technical knowledge... BUT... always landed in the "ultimate guitar sound and tone" land.
THIS is the real "secret weapon": not only modeling equations... BUT tone and playing FEEL... coz they seems to indagate - in a technical way - WHAT IS THE MAGIC in THE SWEET SPOT of any amps and effects and cabs.
I like to think that the interaction with the Axe community of this forum... is - a little bit - part of the equation.
Ok... ok... my english is crap! I know! ... but... you got the meaning!!! :D

[QUOE=FractalAudio;968401]If you still have the EPROM from the previous time simply use that.[/QUOTE]

I have 12.2 and my axe is working great. is the EPROM to restore the AxeFx2 ? And do I need one?

And i haven't touched my mesa boogie in close to a year now

Thanks gary

So how likely it is to have the EPROM problem? I really don´t want to have to open the unit ..., but it seems it is not just a beta problem - am I right, or am I just scaring myself with nonsense?

So how likely it is to have the EPROM problem? I really don´t want to have to open the unit ..., but it seems it is not just a beta problem - am I right, or am I just scaring myself with nonsense?

I don't believe it has anything to do with whether it is beta or not. It is not common, but can happen.Rule of thumb. If you are performing with your Axe-fx, do not upgrade the device if you have something going on within the next few days unless you have a plan B. Stuff happens, be prepared.

Updated. no problems. Actually ..., I do have a problem here ..., this thing sounds absolutely amazing now. I will not write a review here, but I think I am ready to post a review in couple of days of my journey with AFII. I just popped in a JCM 800, paired it with some basketweave IR, I reset everything and did not twist a single knob. After 5 or 10 minutes of noodling on my guitar I realized I haven´t changed anything yet ... The responsiveness is completely insane, tone is massive as if I had thicker strings or something, low end is unobtrusive ..., gosh I never wanted be in a placebo camp or in a new-firmware-is-just-amazing camp but I just turned into that hype guy, too.

btw DC30 is wonderful, I don´t know why, but I think that is how AC30 should sound in my head, or at least I thought it should have sounded that way. Anyway,

Cliff you rock!

I've been using an SP mix 2x12 bogner from the new OH collection and early in the week or last weekend, I pulled up a '59 Bassman so I could begin familiarizing myself with 10 songs for an audition I have coming up.

I think we were on beta 3 at the time. The combination fit every song with minor changes to gain and going between single and double coils for more push.

I installed beta 5 when it was released, but today has been my first experience with it. The Bassman is more accurate and chewy when I really lay into it.

I just selected the Trainwreck for one of the songs and let me tell you - this amp can do it all. WOW - amazingly thick and complex tones with that into the 2x12. Just the right amount of authority and strength, without being muddy. Because the IR is open back (I'm sort of a 2x12 sealed back for rock kind of guy), I don't have to engage the cut on the amp, and it still remains tight on the bottom.

I love that.

Cliff, I have enjoyed watching the evolution along the way, but beta 5 is your crowning achievement - the way the interaction between pre and power sections are now tied together, I'm getting the bloom I wanted. The realism is unparalleled.

The poor guy that is in the band already, that I'm trying out for, is running an epiphone low-wattage tube combo with an extension cabinet and he's feeding it with a Boss GT-6 for effects. The band is used to that and "okay" with it, I guess. Probably not going to be at Tuesday night around 10pm after they've listened to this evil box I'm bringing to the party with me for a few hours. bwwwwaaahhhaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Updated. no problems. Actually ..., I do have a problem here ..., this thing sounds absolutely amazing now. I will not write a review here, but I think I am ready to post a review in couple of days of my journey with AFII. I just popped in a JCM 800, paired it with some basketweave IR, I reset everything and did not twist a single knob. After 5 or 10 minutes of noodling on my guitar I realized I haven´t changed anything yet ... The responsiveness is completely insane, tone is massive as if I had thicker strings or something, low end is unobtrusive ..., gosh I never wanted be in a placebo camp or in a new-firmware-is-just-amazing camp but I just turned into that hype guy, too.

btw DC30 is wonderful, I don´t know why, but I think that is how AC30 should sound in my head, or at least I thought it should have sounded that way. Anyway,

Cliff you rock!

The DC-30 is basically an AC-30 copy. The voltages are a bit different but the topology is nearly identical. However, IMO, it does sound better. Not sure why. Perhaps the better quality components. AC-30's have kind of crappy OTs.

The DC-30 is basically an AC-30 copy. The voltages are a bit different but the topology is nearly identical. However, IMO, it does sound better. Not sure why. Perhaps the better quality components. AC-30's have kind of crappy OTs.

I thought that was the point of AC-30's. Why ones right next to each other off of the build line sounded completely different. Why there are 'holy grail' ones, and ones indecipherably different that sound like @ss.

Not about the fw version or anything mentioned above. I have to (y/t)ell this!
I hate M-audio BX5a's!
I absolutely love my AF2 thru Shure SRH 440's while I hate the whole world while I play it through bx5A's!!!
Don't buy them and if you did, do not throw shit to the AF2 because of them! An ordinary piece of shit is less of a shit than these speakers!
Yes I'm drunk you straight edges!!!

Last edited:
I've been using an SP mix 2x12 bogner from the new OH collection and early in the week or last weekend, I pulled up a '59 Bassman so I could begin familiarizing myself with 10 songs for an audition I have coming up.

I think we were on beta 3 at the time. The combination fit every song with minor changes to gain and going between single and double coils for more push.

I installed beta 5 when it was released, but today has been my first experience with it. The Bassman is more accurate and chewy when I really lay into it.

I just selected the Trainwreck for one of the songs and let me tell you - this amp can do it all. WOW - amazingly thick and complex tones with that into the 2x12. Just the right amount of authority and strength, without being muddy. Because the IR is open back (I'm sort of a 2x12 sealed back for rock kind of guy), I don't have to engage the cut on the amp, and it still remains tight on the bottom.

I love that.

Cliff, I have enjoyed watching the evolution along the way, but beta 5 is your crowning achievement - the way the interaction between pre and power sections are now tied together, I'm getting the bloom I wanted. The realism is unparalleled.

The poor guy that is in the band already, that I'm trying out for, is running an epiphone low-wattage tube combo with an extension cabinet and he's feeding it with a Boss GT-6 for effects. The band is used to that and "okay" with it, I guess. Probably not going to be at Tuesday night around 10pm after they've listened to this evil box I'm bringing to the party with me for a few hours. bwwwwaaahhhaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Which 2x12 bogner sp mix did you use?

Back
Top Bottom