Who wants to play producer!

GotMetalBoy

Power User
So between my ADD and OCD I can't decide on amps or cabs to use bc almost everything in the Axe-Fx II sounds good to me and I'm getting overwhelmed with such an amazing selection of awesomeness :roll

I'm using an Axe-Fx II Mark I FW 17.04 and an Ibanez RG421PB Natural Flat Guitar with stock pickups (Ibanez RG Series RG421PB Electric Guitar | Musician's Friend).

I'm looking for suggestions on what amps & cabs may sound good with the 3 demo songs below from my band Odd Mountain. I usually change tones for each section of the songs like Intro, Verse, Chorus... The songs are just rough demos and mixes with mistakes and all. We play music for fun.

White Teeth Sheep

I'm Off Meds

Ludo

You guys play for fun, right?

Then go full-Billy-Corgan and use ALL of the amps you like... ;)

I've been trying a ton of combinations but even if I tried each amp and cab for 1 minute, it would take almost a month straight with no sleep, eating or bathroom breaks.

Personally they start to sound the same when reamping but they all feel different when playing through them, so I'm choosing the ones that feel the best.

I'm having the most trouble with low & medium gain amps. Anyone know what settings I can adjust to make them feel like I'm playing a high gain amp?

I've been trying a ton of combinations but even if I tried each amp and cab for 1 minute, it would take almost a month straight with no sleep, eating or bathroom breaks.

Personally they start to sound the same when reamping but they all feel different when playing through them, so I'm choosing the ones that feel the best.

I'm having the most trouble with low & medium gain amps. Anyone know what settings I can adjust to make them feel like I'm playing a high gain amp?

Of course, that is the role of a good producer - having someone who has already done most/all of that and can whittle-down the choices for you. Understanding the eagerness to complete a project, there is another side to the coin and that is: once you go through all of the amps/cabs you will be in a much better position in the future.

Gain and saturation/distortion are two different things and, unfortunately, are used interchangeably. The only way to get more distortion out of low-distorting amps is some combination of pre-drive and power-amp distortion. If you're combining multiple tracks, the cleaner tracks can lend clarity of notes to the overly-saturated ones.

From what I was getting vibe-wise, try: 1) boosted Oranges, 2) boosted Hiwatt, 3) HBE (can hardly go wrong), 4) FAS, 5) Tucana, 6) Splawn

Ultimately, what you will find is that a lot of nuanced preferences can be replaced satisfactorily with different combinations w/ or w/out EQs (or was that a 'trade secret'?)...

I like Bass & Kick in Song two (...off meds) in the mix
Guitarsound in Song three (Ludo) the most and
Vocals in one (... teeth sheep) the high Voice in the chorus is funny...

Back
Top Bottom