Who uses amps they would have never owned actual versions of

baloo

Newbie here, first Axe FX II should arrive on Friday.

I'm just wondering the amount of people who have started using amp blocks of amps that they never would have considered owning physical version of as main sounds. A friend impressed me with Plexi and SLO sounds whereas I never would have entertained these amps because I would never be able to gig loud enough with these amps to get the sound possible with the physical amplifiers. Or maybe this is why we are drawn to the Axe FX.

I'm just interested in hearing how outlooks on certain amplifiers changed with the Axe Fx, mainly so I can experiment myself when it arrives.

Definitely fits me. I use several I have owned in the past, but am also using quite a few amplifiers, FX, and routing setups I'd have never come to in the "real" world. Some of the reasons are cost, availability, and possibility. I mean, you can't move tone stacks from one amp to the next, etc. Well, I can't, anyway.

This is precisely what drew me to the Axe Fx, and what keeps me experimenting whenever a new idea strikes. Love it.

Last edited:
Some of the reasons are cost, availability, and possibility.

This. Basically every amp I have in the Axe except for one is an amp I wouldn't own an actual version of. That "one" might have been a Mesa, or a Marshall, or maybe something else like a Bogner. But I don't have resources (or space) to fill up my apartment with more than one really high end amp. I routinely use the Fender, AC30, Mesa, Marshall, and Bogner amps in the Axe for various needs. If I hadn't gone the Axe route, I probably would have bought one really nice amp from one of those makes. I also find uses for a lot of the rarer boutique amps from time to time. And this is just after a month with the Axe!

I used the amp block with SLO last weekend with just 1 momentary switch for 3db boost. I roll off the volume to clean it up a tad and it smokes. I could never justify spending that much $ on one amp for being a "weekend warrior", but If I was touring I could definitely own one, or at least an avenger, strictly on versatility. I just sold my 3ch Dual Rec and have ZERO regrets. Most of the venues I play would kill the stage with an amp larger than 15 watts anyways. But I put a scumback M 25 watter in a tech 21 power engine for a stage monitor and it sounds great! Going direct in ears/foh with the axe fx is the only way to go from here on out.

all of my own presets are only using three amp models
VH4, 5153 and Hiwatt

the VH4 and 5153 I'd have happily owned...

the Hiwatt though.. I'd never have imagined I'd even like it let alone find a meaningful use for it...

I love the 5150III but id never have one with as much touring as I do. That thing is a glass factory in the back.

i use the axe for all the amps I dont own/need

I have real Marshalls for Marshall Stuff
Real Mesas for Mesa stuff

and everything else (Fender twins/vox/soldano/bogner/) i have the axe

so for the price of one of the high end amps- i have that and everything else.

Of my presets, I use the Trainwreck (Wrecker) and Mesa Red Modern a lot; but would never own either. I could not afford the first (!!!) and would be woefully under using the second. :D

all of my own presets are only using three amp models
VH4, 5153 and Hiwatt

the VH4 and 5153 I'd have happily owned...

the Hiwatt though.. I'd never have imagined I'd even like it let alone find a meaningful use for it...

This, minus the owning of amps. ;)

Never owned a Dumble. Love the ODS

May eventually change my main tone from a Fender Twin to something else - haven't checked out enough 'clean-to-breakup' type models.

my favorite is being able to create composite amps mixing tone stacks and chaning adv parameters to get the sounds I want or hear in my head - the ax fx is great for that. im personally only using teh actual amp models as a staring point

I didn't even know what a Fryette was before the Axe FX. It's absolutely, hands down, my favorite amp. If something, god forbid, ever happens and I cannot use an axe fx with a fryette 60 model, I will immediately go buy the real thing. Prior to owning this little magical devil box, I would probably have purchased a Mesa triple rec.

I would not carry the rig i have in my Axe. I would also have a problem on most stages. Not enough space.... Love the 2 unit+2 pieces of 1x12 active monitors setup :D

Well, based simply on the price tag of what's in the box alone..... ME. I am loving my $100,000.00+ amp studio in my magic black box.

Super tweed me...... Then give me a dose of Trainwreck with a splash of CAE 3+ and perhaps a little Blankenship Leeds on the side. but wait, there's more.....

Cameron. I'd never even heard of the amp prior to the axe. That and the vh4 and the uberschall - simply because of how much they cost :p

Or maybe the reverse applies too? Buying a real amp just because one loves how the Axe renders it :mrgreen

I didn't even know what a Fryette was before the Axe FX. It's absolutely, hands down, my favorite amp. If something, god forbid, ever happens and I cannot use an axe fx with a fryette 60 model, I will immediately go buy the real thing. Prior to owning this little magical devil box, I would probably have purchased a Mesa triple rec.

I feel the same way. There's nothing like that amp. It's so awesome. It calls me all day long.

I tend to use Axe-amps that are in the Marshall ballpark, and tend(ed) to do the same in the real world :) My current favourites are the Brit Brown and the Leeds. Before I started to use the Axe regularly (permanently :) for gigging, I used to use a slightly modded JCM 2000 DSL + a Blankenship Variplex, which I've kept.

I've never actually played a Blankenship Leeds, but it sounds so good in the Axe (try the preset with the cab & mic options that's there) I've considered ordering a real one :) Would probably not use it, though...

I am Fender (BF) and Mesa guy and more in clean then crunch and some mid high gain(a Mark II C+ instead of an extreme mode on my Mark V)

If you then start to explore the Axe seriously you find much more and more refined sounds like on clean the HBE.

And i never owned a Princeton was looking into it,but since recent firwares no need anymore, is there.

And sincere hope is that some more tweeds arrive someday

Roland

Back
Top Bottom