Who own an Harley Benton LP guitar?

Roadrunner

Power User
I'm looking for a backup guitar for my current project (AC/DC tribute) and the key factors are:

1. Sound decent in a live band situation, remember it will not be used in the studio so I'm not looking for a top sound guitar, just need to be ok for crunch live sound.
2. Cheap so I will not bother for any scratch when used live.
3. Has the "look" (very important).
4. Easy to change tuning so fixed bridge is a must.

Heaving said all that, I heard many good feedbacks on Harley Benton's LP guitars, there are 2 that can fit:
SC-Custom II
SC-550

I was wondering if anyone here had / has one and can share an honest feedback?
I take all the superlatives over you tube about these guitars in a very suspicious way, I don’t believe all is 100% true.
Thanks.

I had one of the cheaper LP versions for a while. While you can feel its a cheaper guitar compared to my previous Epiphone it plays right. Since you're getting the one that is a 100 more expensive it may even feel better. I'd gig with the one I had, if I still had one. But I sold it, mostly because me and LP's just don't gel. It's the granddaddy of electric guitars, but ergonomically to me its a Ford Model T. And you don't drive one of those as your main car still around either.

Still, Harley Benton is da shit. I still don't understand how Thomann can get that kind of quality for that price and still make a profit. Well, I kinda understand, good CNC machines and programming.

Thanks mate.

For the record, I hate LP shape guitars!
I never owned one, I don’t understand how people are playing them, especially the higher notes.
I'm more of modern shapes like Majesty, Schecter etc but need this one only as a backup and for the look, its not that I really in to them but although as mentioned it's for the look and backup, I still hope it sound ok.

I have the P90s version (SC 450 GT P90). For the record I like the neck profile more than my actual Gibson LP, and overall it is an incredible instrument for 159 euros. Obviously, closely scrutinised you can find some finish issues, and also many cost cut details. Also, the electronics are presumably horrible, with those mini pots, and the pick up switch feels really cheap. Access to the higher frets is excellent, does not have the typical LP shape down there. Tuning and intonation are good enough for me.

I happen to live not far from Thomann, so have visited the store several times. The SC-550 on display looked mostly great, but it is the typical guitar I'd buy on site to be ready to return in case I get a bad unit.

I see then quite often and they are similar to a Chinese Eppiphone in quality. They suffer from all the price point ills, terrible electrics pickups and only just passable hardware now add a foot thick plastic dip err paint and you have a POS that looks ok from a distance if you squint a bit. Buy a bottom of the range Gibson junior.

I'm trying to make friends with my strat w vintage single coils - so far we are still not on the same page. As for Harley Benton - I'm contemplating a lefty HB35 Plus hollowbody for 400$ Cdn from Thomann - also looking for feedback from anyone who has one. Of course it's not gonna be a Gibson 335 but at 1/10th the price... - besides, I already own an SG Standard which IS the greatest on guitar on earth so I don't need another premium axe - if the HB stays in tune, sounds descent and won't fall apart from light at home use, it would be worth the $

Last edited:
OMG - Blasphamy!! - SG - so much tone, so comfortable, so much history, much preferred over one those silly Majesty thingys

https://www.pinterest.ca/brandonivey/gibson-sg-players/
Ha ha ha ha…

I guess its matter of taste but one thing for sure, LP / SG are NOT the most comfortable guitar to play compared to moderns but that’s the way it is, they are not trying to be modern so…
It's so subjective….

I'm really debating if I should pull the trigger or not, it's not a lot of $$$ but I don’t live in US or EU so I need to import it and if I buy it and don’t like it, I will need to sell it locally which is going to be a PITA as selling gear these days is not easy.
I never keep gear I don’t use.

Ha ha ha ha…

I guess its matter of taste but one thing for sure, LP / SG are NOT the most comfortable guitar to play compared to moderns but that’s the way it is, they are not trying to be modern so…
It's so subjective….

Like I said, the LP is like the Ford Model T of guitars. They really took an acoustic, made it solid and put some electronics on it. Whereas Leo Fender basically designed something from scratch with player comfort first and foremost.

Guys, are totally correct BUT the only guitar I hate more than a LP is SG :)
Seriously....the LP will be used for few more applications which fits it more than an SG and in general I can't get along with SG's.
I'm with you on that. SG necks stick out too far, on a strap everything sits in a different place from all my other guitars. Also what an imaginative name, SG actually stands for "Solid Guitar."FFS.

Because it’s used and probably cost more and to my feeling the quality will be lower.
Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I think.

Used is a better value most of the time. Why pay new when you can save 25% or more? And if you are worried about dings then it's even more piece of mind as it probably already has a scratch. Both an epi and HB are made in Korea or China so the quality will be similar if not the same.

I would buy an Epi standard or custom if that's the look you want and you can't try the HB first.

Ok pulled the triger on a SC550, will update here when i get it.
would be interested to know the shipping time and cost for your order if that's something you don't mind sharing (trying to figure out what that would be for HB35+ I'm thinking of getting).

Shipping time depends on where you live. From Germany to Netherlands with UPS can be there the next day. Or another, depending on whether or not UPS is dragging its feet.

Back
Top Bottom