Who made you start playing guitar?

04:51, that's what flicked the switch in my brain to want to play - not the most flash of solos, but the sound of the string bends obviously affected me and synchronicity kicked in when a new music teacher started at my school a couple of weeks later who set up a lunchtime guitar group
31 years later, still one of the best things that ever happened to me

For me, it wasn't a famous player. I was in awe watching a senior (I was a freshman) play his LP Deluxe Gold Top at a HS coffee house, and that's what made me wanna play guitar.

The Central Scrutinizer! He snarkily informed me that a career in music was hopeless, so I bought a guitar (with my first student loan check) to lead a hopeless life!! It's been going fab (he used to be a nice boy, he used to cut the lawn)!!!

that fateful day in '79-ish (a date that will live in infamy. for me.) i first heard Jimi's 8/18/1969 (a date that will live in infamy. for the planet.) Woodstock rendition of 'The Star-Spangled Banner," listening to the soundtrack to the film the very 1st time.

Before the Beatles came out it was Elvis Presley w/ Scotty Moore that was my first inspiration to actually start playing the guitar, along with all the original 50's rock and roll and rockabilly artists, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, etc. Major influences in the 60's were the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix. There was so much great music happening.

Jimmy Page. I learned that opening to Stairway and not long after saw TSRTS on the big screen (midnight movies at Six Flags Mall represent!) and I was hooked. He's still the definitive "Rock Star" for me.

Back
Top Bottom