Who lifts weights here?

I tried lifting weights in the fitness but it just bored the s*** out of me. These days I only do it as part of body workout class. Lots of repetitions with light weights. Which is mostly training for muscle tone rather then big muscles. And I'm usually the only guy surrounded by the ladies, but enjoy training on music as part of a group and I'd rather be sweaty with good looking women then sweaty with sweaty dudes. And I'm also learning/training to be able to give such classes.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Mostly people seem to think lifting heavy is ok for the grip...

I'd say I'm not really going heavy, just heavier than I have in the past. (And thinking about adding a deadlift, of course.) For reference, on leg day I do 4 sets of squats, 3x12 reps with 185lbs including the bar, and then the last set as many as I can do at 225lbs. Usually that's 5 or 6 these days. I'm 6' even, about 185 right now but ideally i'd be about 10lbs lighter.

I also don't lift too frequently. Right now my routine is lifting with barbells only 2 days per week, and currently off of the heavy weights every other week. In intermix that with dumbell/bodyweight type circuit workouts, regular cardio workouts, running, sprints, etc. try to mix it up. So I'm not that worried about killing my dexterity, as the days where i actually do heavy lifting are pretty infrequent. But it's good to hear y'alls opinions on the matter!

Thanks guys :)

225 is not "heavy" for your bodyweight, height, and gender. You have nothing to worry about. For deadlifts, if you're lean I'd aim for at least twice your bodyweight. For squats, if you don't want to go heavy 315 is a good number to stop at. 3 plates per side looks respectable, 2 does not :cool: . From an untrained state all you need to do to get there is eat a lot of protein, sleep at least 8 hrs a night, and work out 3 times a week, gradually increasing the weights. In 6-9 months you'll get there easy.

Just like to add - and has been said, don’t overdo things and avoid injury.

..I used to be heavily involved in the physical stuff, right-up until about six years ago, in training and competition. Had to quit due to near constant injury. ..At that time I used weight training not just for extra strength, but to support my joints and help me avoid injury on the mats - still ripped out all kinds of joints doing all that goofy stuff though, and am really paying for those years of constant injuries now - left knee, my right arm - shoulder, elbow, wrist, fingers - just a train-wreck.

But taking things slow, I don’t think there’s any issue involved with lifting and strength training as long as you do things responsibly.

I still lift a little - more for general health, frame support and the opening of pickle jars and such these days though. Don’t need much more than that.

But yeah, and I wholeheartedly agree with those who bought it up. Take things slow, and Avoid Injury. Because in my own experience injury really became an accumulative shit-show that keeps on giving, after a certain point.

Back
Top Bottom