Who is using the Formant block?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
Never really bothered about the Formant block until yesterday. I discovered that it can be nice for some things especially when combined with the Drive block. Maybe we can share our experiences with the Formant block in this topic? Would be nice to know how other people use it and exchange some presets so we can all benefit from it. I will also try to post a preset when I have the time.

so:
1) how do you use it and when?
2) any tips on how to make it sound good and musical?
4) with which blocks do you combine it?
3) do you use the Formant block at all or just ignore it?

One user posted a pretty good talk-boxy patch 1-2 weeks ago.
I guess the trick is not to run the talkbox effect through a cab, but placing it in parallel to the cab and then mix it to taste.

But I could never get used to a pedal changing the vowels, so I always end up using a regular wah instead.

Sometimes I'm using the formant block to aid filter and/or wah sweeps. Which is when I'm after a specific textural/character movement in the sound(s). I often combine them in such that they all are envelope controlled but with different slopes and/or direction. And pretty much always with one or two delays running too. As well as having LFO's run parameter envelope controlled. So when I'm playing/picking softer there is one "version" of the sound which gradually changes, not only by intensity of my playing but also over time (via LFO's). Almost a bit 3D-sculpting of the sound in a sense...

I guess the trick is not to run the talkbox effect through a cab, but placing it in parallel to the cab and then mix it to taste.

Or even without a Cab at all. I just got a Banshee 2 and I was comparing it to my Talkbox simulation preset.
I could get the sim a whole lot closer to the real thing by not using a Cab block at all.

I'm now using a pedal with the sim preset, but Envelope also works of course.

Sometimes I'm using the formant block to aid filter and/or wah sweeps. Which is when I'm after a specific textural/character movement in the sound(s). I often combine them in such that they all are envelope controlled but with different slopes and/or direction. And pretty much always with one or two delays running too. As well as having LFO's run parameter envelope controlled. So when I'm playing/picking softer there is one "version" of the sound which gradually changes, not only by intensity of my playing but also over time (via LFO's). Almost a bit 3D-sculpting of the sound in a sense...

This is interesting. I also don't use the Formant block as a talk box emulation. I think it can never really emulate a real talk box. Instead I use it as some kind of weird filter.
Curious how you run it with the envelope and the LFO's. Any sample preset so I can see what you are doing exactly and then make my own variations from there?

Ha, it is weird using your foot but just like using the wah I find my mouth moving with it! Here's the link to my patch (btw, I've updated it and will be uploading the new version soon) http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=2213

One user posted a pretty good talk-boxy patch 1-2 weeks ago.

But I could never get used to a pedal changing the vowels, so I always end up using a regular wah instead.

This is interesting. I also don't use the Formant block as a talk box emulation. I think it can never really emulate a real talk box. Instead I use it as some kind of weird filter.
Curious how you run it with the envelope and the LFO's. Any sample preset so I can see what you are doing exactly and then make my own variations from there?

I´ll see what I can dug out.

Envelopes combined with LFO´s are IMHO a very interesting combo indeed. You´ll get an semi-automatic/human behaviour. Even just combining two LFO´s with different types of waveform and/or rate/tempo division gets very interesting when you connect them to one or few of each others parameters. That little ball/point in the modifier page just starts bouncing back and forth in any specific cyclical pattern. Having i e that and connect one of the LFO´s to any FX parameter of choice, and then connect the (LFO) depth to the envelope. You´ll have an cyclical LFO pattern with its impact of the target parameter controlled by your playing. Only your imagination sets the limits of how to utilize these possibilities. I think I have a couple of examples at my soundcloud regarding that, however I´m not sure if any of them uses the formant block (I´ll still see what I may find)...

I´ll see what I can dug out.

Envelopes combined with LFO´s are IMHO a very interesting combo indeed. You´ll get an semi-automatic/human behaviour. Even just combining two LFO´s with different types of waveform and/or rate/tempo division gets very interesting when you connect them to one or few of each others parameters. That little ball/point in the modifier page just starts bouncing back and forth in any specific cyclical pattern. Having i e that and connect one of the LFO´s to any FX parameter of choice, and then connect the (LFO) depth to the envelope. You´ll have an cyclical LFO pattern with its impact of the target parameter controlled by your playing. Only your imagination sets the limits of how to utilize these possibilities. I think I have a couple of examples at my soundcloud regarding that, however I´m not sure if any of them uses the formant block (I´ll still see what I may find)...

Had some time this evening. This patch is a re-used one from another experiment (where I utilized the Looper block in a special way). I´ve added the formant block, and there are some LFO + envelope control of certain parameters. The soundclip is just an quick example of using the patch in different ways, but IMHO the ending is quite interesting as it had me unexpectedly finding that the high resonance setting in filter and/or formant block could yield "drone notes" thanks to my (soft) playing. So if I kept that level of picking strenght, that note suddenly appears out of nowhere. Gotta explore that a bit further someday...

Anyway, the filter is very easy to hear. The formant is on the delay feedbacks only. I didn´t leave any envelope control on any parameter of the LFOs though, as I realize now that was of interest. But that´s really easy to experiment with.

Attachments

• FormantFilterDLY.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
I use it for Living On a Prayer (ugh!!!). I set a different vowel sound for the heel, middle, and toe positions of my expression pedal. It does the job ok enough for that song.

And no cab. A real mouth tube doesn't go through a cab.

I use it - just like above; it's in parallel right above the Cab block; so it goes around it.

It sounds great; though not *quite* a talk box. I use an envelope on the resonance to add some 'BwAOOWW' and movement to it. It's a good idea for a video! (I'll see if I can crank one out in the next day or so).

Nice effect and tune, Mikael.

I looked at your preset and got totally lost. Took me hours to find a way out. :mrgreen

Last edited:
If I needed one, I would try the MXR M222 Talk Box.

I used to use a banshee but the MXR 222 is way more robust. I dig it.

Nothing beats a real talkbox. After getting the axe, it is the only actual pedal i still use. Everything else has been replaced by the Axe Fx.

After getting the axe, it is the only actual pedal i still use.
Same here.
My only external effect is a Rocktron Banshee. I couldn't get a satisfactory simulation with the AxeFX.
Unfortunately the quality of the Banshee effect is VERY dependent upon the mix through my vocal wedge so it's out of my hands.
If it's loud and well tuned, the Banshee is awesome!

Nothing beats a real talkbox. After getting the axe, it is the only actual pedal i still use.
Same here.
My only external effect is a Rocktron Banshee. I couldn't get a satisfactory simulation with the AxeFX.
Unfortunately the quality of the Banshee effect is VERY dependent upon the mix through my vocal wedge so it's out of my hands.
If it's loud and well tuned, the Banshee is awesome!

I use it in one preset only, for the intro to 'Sweet Emotion'. I'd prefer to not have it running into my amp block, but the layout of my preset prevents it. Nevertheless it works just fine.

Had some time this evening. This patch is a re-used one from another experiment (where I utilized the Looper block in a special way). I´ve added the formant block, and there are some LFO + envelope control of certain parameters.

Thanks for your preset and explanation! I like this way of using the Formant block as a filter as opposed to trying to emulate a talk box. Although it would be nice to have a convincing talk box sounds also.

Back
Top Bottom