Who is using the AX8 with a 2nd midi foot controller.

Roadrunner

Power User
I'm trying to find the best way to add few more switches, I thought maybe to use a tiny (4 switch) midi foot switch to be connected to the AX8 via midi and control maybe scenes or FX blocks etc.
Anyone tried that?
Thanks.

I have been thinking about doing this. I have a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro left over from my previous rig. I have only had my AX8 for 3 days and I am still learning at a breakneck pace. I don't know if using a controller by itself would be better than using one in tandem with the controls on the AX8. As I get more experience with the AX8, I'll definitely look into this functionality.

Yep, happy MorningStar MC6 user here.
It's a very powerful, yet small device, to give me access to pretty much anything on the AX8.
It spends 90% of it's time on bank1, which gives me access to my 6 most used presets.

I've played with using my MFC and the AX8, but programming was a little tedious when I only wanted a couple of additional switches. So while it worked, it was overkill. I only wanted a few switches to use for volume leveling. I ended up just buying a Boss dual FS and using the pedal inputs.

RR

I built an arduino controller that syncs with the AX8 using sysex over usb, it shows the bank, preset and scene number on the screen and even the tuner, i even wrote a web app to edit what each button does

Attachments

• IMG_3974.JPG
    IMG_3974.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 66
My plan is to add 4 more buttons in front of the AX8 so the first row will be presets + bank up / down, 2nd row (sw1-4) will be scenes 1 – 4 and 3rd row (sw 5 – 8) will be used for FX on/off.
I thought to add the Midi Moose which has 5 buttons so I will use the 5th for preset 5, 10, 15 etc. and leave it empty = kill switch.
So, I would like to have the Midi Moose for preset / bank select, and the Axe will do all scenes and FX on / off.
Do you think the Midi Moose will do its part?
I wish I could check prior to buy it but I can't, don't have one around…

I built an arduino controller that syncs with the AX8 using sysex over usb, it shows the bank, preset and scene number on the screen and even the tuner, i even wrote a web app to edit what each button does
Any chance you'd share the code?

MIDI Moose only does program changes and only has access to the first 128 presets. It's also a lot bigger footprint than the MC6, and only $50 cheaper. Maybe you want the footprint because of the layout you describe, but the MC6 seems like a significantly better option.

I don’t have a problem access “only” first 128 presets, I’m not using more than 12 or so total so...
I like the Moose as its almost the same length of the AX8 (17“ vs. 16.1“).
Yes, the MC6 can do more and has a bigger screen but although the footprint is much smaller, it will not fit my pedal board layout I’m planning.
Above all, it’s too small for my big feet, I prefer all buttons in the same row.
$$$ is also a parameter….

I guess if it can take me through the presets + bank up / down, it will be sufficient.
All the other stuff will be controlled via the AX8 switches.
Thanks guys.

Great idea, is there a specification for the protocol?

Check out my brand new Voes MC-5jr which is especially made with the AX-8 in mind. Same space between buttons, same length. In front of the AX-8 it gives you 5 extra buttons, totally programmable.

I used it as this way:
  • AX-8 = 8 scenes
  • MC-5jr= PC 1-5. hold-and-press gives me PC 6-10.
Of course other configurations are possible.

More info on: www.voes.be and on this thread https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/new-midicontroller-voes-mc-series.125226/

Here's mine. Dom from Daelectronics built this for me. I was meaning to do a demo sometime if i get more free time.
It works on recheargeable battery or 9V power. Has 2 exp pedal inputs and a V slider (proximity sensor). Also has different "Pages" so the footswitches can do different things on different pages.
Im mostly using it for preset changes and V slider as an expression pedal when i want some momentary FX or boost.
Its the perfect controller for me.

Attachments

• AX8rig.jpg
    AX8rig.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 77
Check out my brand new Voes MC-5jr which is especially made with the AX-8 in mind. Same space between buttons, same length. In front of the AX-8 it gives you 5 extra buttons, totally programmable.
For some reason i cant send you a PM.
Is there an email i can contact?
Thanks.

Yep, happy MorningStar MC6 user here.
It's a very powerful, yet small device, to give me access to pretty much anything on the AX8.
It spends 90% of it's time on bank1, which gives me access to my 6 most used presets.
Can the MC6 be powered by the AX8 USB port? I liked the idea of don't need any additional power supply.

Can the MC6 be powered by the AX8 USB port? I liked the idea of don't need any additional power supply.
I think you can power via 7 pin midi, but I use a PSU for a few other things on my board, so just got a 5 pin cable + seperate DC for mine
For some reason I couldn't find a short, right angle 7 pin midi cable close to home

@MorningstarFX can you confirm for @cnaufel?

Back
Top Bottom