Who is using external Soundcards with their band for DI to FOH?

Im curious if it matters to go Direct out from the AXEFX to FOH or Direct out from AXEFX into Soundcard (18i/20) then to FOH. We use IEM so the Soundcard is necessary.

I ask bc i feel like im losing some tone/gain staging by going through the scarlett...could just be me though....

I trigger samples with my MC 6.
Audio source comes from my Win 10 tablet running Kontakt.
Audio runs from the tablet thru USB into the Axe.
So samples are coming out of the same stereo outs as my guitar.
Only issue is headroom as the samples need to be as loud or louder than the guitar sometimes and that takes up headroom.

I use Reaper with my MacBook output to a PreSonus Audiobox and run that to FOH. 2 channels. One containing click. One containing any kind of intro track we may use for the set.

Im curious if it matters to go Direct out from the AXEFX to FOH or Direct out from AXEFX into Soundcard (18i/20) then to FOH. We use IEM so the Soundcard is necessary.

I ask bc i feel like im losing some tone/gain staging by going through the scarlett...could just be me though....
We use the DL32R digital mixer to run our IEMs and feed to FOH - all inputs go into a pair of ART S-8 splitters, which then feed one side to the DL32R and the other side to a snake for FOH.

We run 3 Axe Fx units (2x guitars and 1x bass). When we first started down this road I was having issues with sound quality.

When I used my IEMs from the Axe Fx headphone jack, the sound quality was much better than coming out of my wireless.

I got some good advice here in regards to proper gain staging, and was able to get some decent improvement. If I compare the headphone out from the mixer to the headphone out from the Axe Fx they are very close. If I compare that to either the headphone out of my wireless transmitter or the wireless receiver, the quality is just not the same. :(

I tried a lot of stuff and it just doesn't sound as good.

We are using the Audio Technica M3 wireless units.

i use for a 3 piece band 2 x UA Apollo 8. Axe FX goes via Spdif into Apollo, some FX (reverb, delay) etc gets added either in Ableton or direct in Axe FX, controlled via ableton automation. (ableton changes scenes, presets and also i use some UA reverbs and delays which are also controlled via ableton automation.

14 Channels go to FOH (backing tracks, bass, guitar etc), 6 channels are being used for stereo IEM. We use mipro mi905, i think its the only real digital wireless unit out there. If i A/B the tone strickly soloing the guitar channel and turn all FX off...yes i hear a difference but its so subtle that for live it really doesnt matter. The engineer, room, PA has way more influence on the guitar tone. This setup is silent stage, no amps or cabs on stage.

i use for a 3 piece band 2 x UA Apollo 8. Axe FX goes via Spdif into Apollo, some FX (reverb, delay) etc gets added either in Ableton or direct in Axe FX, controlled via ableton automation. (ableton changes scenes, presets and also i use some UA reverbs and delays which are also controlled via ableton automation.

14 Channels go to FOH (backing tracks, bass, guitar etc), 6 channels are being used for stereo IEM. We use mipro mi905, i think its the only real digital wireless unit out there. If i A/B the tone strickly soloing the guitar channel and turn all FX off...yes i hear a difference but its so subtle that for live it really doesnt matter. The engineer, room, PA has way more influence on the guitar tone. This setup is silent stage, no amps or cabs on stage.
Have you used other wireless besides the mipro? I have been curious about them but not much info out there...

Yep, I use bus outputs from an X32 rack mixer that is also used as a sound card to send signals to FOH and my in-ear transmitter.

Axe FX (stereo) and vocal mic go into the mixer via XLR. Vocal FX are done via X32, then sent out to FOH. My Fishman Triplay triggers soft synth sounds, and they get mixed in with my stereo guitar output for FOH.

As others have stated, you can hear a little bit of a difference when you A/B the output of the Axe FX and the mixer, but it’s pretty close. It’s worth it to me to have everything pre-rigged, even my guitar and vocal mix in my in-ears. My wireless in-ears (Audio-Technica M2) suck more tone than the X32 does, but it’s worth it to be wireless. I’m interested in the MiPro systems, but I think their frequency range is about to get bought in the FCC auction.

-edited for spelling errors

Last edited:
FYI, it looks like MiPro is still a safe bet. The 614-698MHz spectrum will be illegal to use soon, but MiPro runs between 470-640MHz, so you’d just have to steer clear of the last few frequencies.

Have you used other wireless besides the mipro? I have been curious about them but not much info out there...

i didnt really own another wireless before, but i have some friends who now own the mipro and had other brands before. since its digital you dont have dropouts, frequency issues etc...compared to most, it doesnt have a limiter so you need to be careful with your levels. the D/A/D conversion is pretty good and it goes down to around 50hz and the letancy is 3-4 ms which you dont feel (especialy live)

Back
Top Bottom