Who is using dephase?

I'm new to frfr and have been experimenting with this powerful feature alot lately. For bedroom patches i set it pretty high (5-7ish). But when playing loud i didnt like it that high at all. When i cranked it a gig levels i find it sounds best around the 1.00 area. But thats just my findings.

I know, old thread! But I have a new idea in my head. After reading up in the wiki it seems like quite a bit of effort was put into keeping IR info for the low frequencies which is what Ultrares is doing. Dephase will lessen the effect that Ultrares is improving, correct?. Has anyone experimented with mixing two IR's with a crossover maybe, the exact same IR but use one for the low freqs without any Dephase, then add Dephase to the mids and up freqs?

...it seems like quite a bit of effort was put into keeping IR info for the low frequencies which is what Ultrares is doing. Dephase will lessen the effect that Ultrares is improving, correct?
Phasing artifacts get deeper and more complex at higher frequencies. At the low end of the spectrum, they're minimal. By coincidence, the effect of De-Phase at the low end is also minimal. :)

To your ears, does De-Phase remove something desirable from the low end?

Last edited:
Well I'm still theorizing and have not tried it out. To me ears, phasey lows and low mids sound hollow which I like, but phasey highs sound swirly which I don't like. At least that is my interpretation

I like how it sounds! I have it around 6, usually. But what does it do, exactly? I'm curious.
Is it like "smoothing" for a tone match, where some kind of averaging in the EQ gets rid of its narrow, comb-like peaks (that sound "phase-y")... but does it also in the IR's time domain?

I like how it sounds! I have it around 6, usually. But what does it do, exactly? I'm curious.
Is it like "smoothing" for a tone match, where some kind of averaging in the EQ gets rid of its narrow, comb-like peaks (that sound "phase-y")... but does it also in the IR's time domain?
Look back in this thread at the comparison graphs. It reduces the peaks of the frequency response. I understand this is intended to get rid of phasing info as Rex mentions. It appears that it reduces ALL phase info though. So the phase artifacts from the room reflections are also getting reduced in addition to the close miking phase artifacts.

Back
Top Bottom