Who is using dephase?

I have my nu RAC12 (search the forum for it, it's AWESOME!!!), so now with physical knobs in one hand and strumming with the other the "use your ears" is not only easy and fast, but a real pleasure just like you have all the real 200+ amps, and tons of cabs and fxs here in your room!!!
It's a wet dream!!!! :lol

It took me a while to find how I like it. Basically I try to find the setting that makes me happy with both my AT headphones and my CLR.

It's generally in the 1-3 range and dialed in with the headphones because they have less high end on tap and keeping it feeling/sounding good there translates VERY well to my CLR but not the other way around for some reason.

Edit: I think one of the reasons this works so well for me is that with headphones I'm thinking "dial it to sound awesome" while with the FRFR, I'm like "moar bass for the tube tone"

Last edited:
who of you know something about the sharpening mask in Photoshop?
Well... to me the de-phase is the same thing applied to the Axe tone!
You don't need always to sharpen-up... sometimes you want (in the mix or alone) that the edges of the sound are soft... just a liiittle bit smeared
Sometimes you want the edges of your tone more focused, more "in the room", more "in your face"...
Can't explain better... but to me the de-phase is like that!
My 5cents!

who of you know something about the sharpening mask in Photoshop?
Well... to me the de-phase is the same thing applied to the Axe tone!
You don't need always to sharpen-up... sometimes you want (in the mix or alone) that the edges of the sound are soft... just a liiittle bit smeared
Sometimes you want the edges of your tone more focused, more "in the room", more "in your face"...
Can't explain better... but to me the de-phase is like that!
My 5cents!

Great analogy.

So far, every time I have added some dephase to my presets it makes them sound worse. Seems to add a thin fizzy sound when added in extreme, so I don't use it.

I use the de-phase on 3 of my main patches. I left the other 2 main patches alone because I liked the was they sounded as is.

Don't add it in extreme then?

I don't but at lower settings it either doesn't sound like it's doing anything or makes the cab sound worse to my ears. It sounds less focussed rather than more focussed. Perhaps it's me...

I don't but at lower settings it either doesn't sound like it's doing anything or makes the cab sound worse to my ears. It sounds less focussed rather than more focussed. Perhaps it's me...

Pretty sure less focused is the desired goal, as dephase was meant to help get rid of the direct sound of a close-mic'ed IR and sound a little bit more like an amp-in-the-room type of deal. It's certainly not for everybody or every situation, and I don't really get why so much attention is focused on it. It either helps you or it does not. Not a big deal.

For what it's worth, I am finding myself perfectly happy with it off with Quantum. Before the Quantum update it kind of helped what I can only refer to as a bit of "harshness" in the natural breakup/fizz/high-end content of the amps, specifically on high gain stuff. Quantum seems to have placed that amp fizz/breakup/high-end content better in both frequency range and volume, so now I don't find it as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom