who here loves their jobs?

anyone here making a decent living from something that they look forward to each day?
I do now! After spending the last 15 months in hell working as a manager at a hardware company I just didn't believe in I've found a job, back in an individual contributor, software engineering role for a modern, fast-moving sort-of-startup-but-not-really-still-private-silicon-valley-darling company and I'm loving it. The last 9 weeks have been amazing. My small team just finished a sprint and shipped some very awesome internal developer tools today. Super smart and super nice people to work with.

I guess the only downside is it's in San Francisco and well...everything in the bay is just stupid expensive. I'll never own a home here. I have an hour commute to work because we have to live in the 'burbs where the public schools are good because I can't send my kids to private school in the city (and won't subject them to the insanity that is the San Francisco public school system). But other than that, it's pretty awesome. Moving to CA was a good move overall. Not easy, but a good move.

Software engineer here - I now work from home now...and get paid more - perfect combination :). I work for Canonical and I love it. I used to hate my old job...

Thank you for Ubuntu (and your sane LTS plans for versions)!

This is really a nice thread! .. I'm graduating high school on monday and besides that I work at a Panasonic Centre here in Copenhagen. I have a chill boss and I can mostly just hang around with him :D

I like my job a lot. I get paid pretty well and one of the nice things about working in a small career field is that I always run into a lot of the same people that I have worked with over the last 25 years or so. I imagine that if I was a dirtbag or burned some bridges I'd probably be unemployed. :) Now there are days where I'm not having the best of times, but it's constant motion which is something that I need. I will never be able to sit still and do the same thing day in and day out. My boss repeatedly puts me into difficult situations knowing full well that I'm not an expert on something which is great because I get to expand my horizons considerably. I was teaching before I started this job so learning is something that I have always been very passionate about.

But what makes my job great is that my bosses trust the hell out of me. That means I'm doing something right and I'm being recognized for it which is always appreciated. It's funny because I just started here about 2 years ago and was worried about possibly biting off more than I could chew or screwing up. Starting out was rough and the learning curve was pretty steep, but the people who I work for are just outstanding managers and know when to push and when to back off a bit and I know that they have my back. My peers are all coming from similar backgrounds which is cool, but we all have different areas of strength and while we are extremely competitive and push each other, nobody is in it for themselves and we work as a team. If someone is struggling or has a question or even has to step out for a few days because something came up the rest of us pick up the slack and cover for them.

The only complaint I could have is that they have reorganized the offices and put some "outsiders" within earshot of us. You go through any part of this building and it's like a morgue, but once you get into our area it's loud, it's frantic, it's funny as hell and the language can get pretty rough....you'd think that it was a turret syndrome convention at times. Nobody has said anything to us yet, but I have that feeling that we're going to have to tone it down a bit because someone is probably sitting there thinking that they're in an insane asylum or something. Not everyone excels in that kind of environment. Hell, I had to ask for a set of noise cancelling headphones because sometimes I need to drown them out to concentrate.

It's frustrating as hell and it's one of those jobs where as soon as you think that you've got a handle on the workload someone just drops one of those 4PM Friday afternoon grenades where everything that you thought was really important doesn't matter anymore because this new thing is life and death. It's never that important, but we act like it is. It's insanity.

I'm tired at the end of the day and I love it.

I really like what i do. I'm a mold maker for an aerospace company. There are so many aspects of my job that i need to be proficient at, so it really never gets boring. I do design work on NX for CAD/CAM, I run CNC machines, EDM, grinding, general bench work, and lots of other little things to get the job done. Maybe some people would think its a pain in the ass if you just did one of those jobs all day but mixing it up all the time makes it really interesting. Plus its nice to have a finished project when your done. A lot of people do just one little aspect of a job and never see everything come together. I start with a chunk of steel and end up with a shiny new tool. Thats cool to me.

Microsoft created over 12,000 millionaires out of staffers during their run up. Good times!

Careful offering 'life' advice to regular people however. I mean, your post is fully positive, and we should all appreciate positivity. But you basically won the lottery. Right place, right time. Congrats on that, and much kudos for your volunteer work. It's obvious you mean well, but when anyone in your position advises working folks on how to live it can go sour really quick. Most of us simply don't have time to live every day to the fullest and enjoy life experiences... because we have to work to make the ends meet, and after work we're just too tired.

I spent 7 years there. Microsoft treated me well, but its millionaire-minting days are long gone. I do recall that back when I joined if you told anyone that you worked for Microsoft they pretty much automatically assumed you're a millionaire. :lol

HATE my job. Network engineer. I swear I get more on-call action than an ER doctor. Was a developer for about 5 years but hated that too. At least the dumbass suits at the top can't complain about the color or font I used to fix their core switch... so I guess that's something...

I LOVE my main job.
SolidWorks 3D CAD operator.
It's like playing a video game all day!

Also am co-manager for the company.
This is the only real down side to what I do... having to deal with the people.
It is especially hard when I have to fire people! :(

Hooray for CAD guys! That's my day gig for a local remodeling/cabinetry company. Every job has slightly something different to offer which keeps things interesting, but I agree, the interpersonal aspects can be a real drag at times. But let's be honest: the only reason I have this day job at all is because my master plan for rock star world domination didn't quite pan out financially. LOL.

I don't love my job, but I don't hate it either. There's never I day I dread coming into work, which wasn't always the case. I retired from the Army in 2010 and I've been performing disability exams for the VA since 2011. Taking care of one veteran that truly needs and deserves my help can make up for a whole slew of people trying to game the system for money. The nicest thing about my job is that I control the workflow about 95% of the time, and I can have my ipad/laptop at work so I'm always connected and able to keep up with things non work related. Most days I'm ahead of my workload enough that I usually have at least two hours of float time to do what I want. That's mainly because my typical co-worker just isn't as efficient or they take more breaks.

After 23 years of averaging 12+ hour days 5 days a week (and 24 hrs/365 days during deployments) it's awesome to only be required to work 40 hrs a week with no weekends or call. I could get overtime if I wanted, but I have no monetary need or interest. Having my military retirement, va pension, and regular va pay means I can afford my musical toys and live comfortably. I'd love to work 4 10 hour shifts, but that's still not an option in the federal system. Once I've done about 20 years with the VA I'll switch to contracting and work no more than 3 days/week. I don't think I'll work much at all after 65 or so.

Overall, I love my career as a web developer. I came into the industry during the dotcom boom and have been through ups and downs. A lot of overall job satisfaction in this industry depends on your love of technology, constantly learning new things and ability to self-manage. Finding a good employer is always the challenge, though. When a company is well-run, things can be awesome, but when its not then things can really, really suck.

My current employer is a dream, and I plan to stay with them as long as I can. I've worked at sweatshops with deathmarch development schedules. Those are not fun, but overall I'm thankful to be in this industry and not writing tech manuals, which I did before....talk about dull and dry!

I love my job! I work from home as a field tech for the lottery. Basically I wait for a problem to appear then go to work. When things are running normally I have time to work on gear & play around with my AxeFX.

I surely do :)
I'm a software engineer, and work at home, so beside loving my job it also allows me to be in contact with my AxeFX and guitars all day long

+1. I taught college (Literature) for 18 years and I liked it a lot, but I didn't love it like I do my software job. Been at it seven years, and I like it more every day.

Unlike AlGrenadine, though, I don't work at home; I was offered that option, but I turned it down (my office is about a mile from home, a 4-minute drive most mornings). I know myself well enough to know that I'd tinker with the Axe all day, and I'd never get any actual work done. Something about going to an office puts me in a different zone than I'm in at home.

I have my own office (not a cubicle; an office with a door that closes), and I'm not monitored at all--the other people there are all psychologists, and have no idea whatsoever what I do, beyond knowing it involves IT. I've never even met my supervisor, who works 50 miles away, and also doesn't know what I do (and doesn't even work for the same agency I produce and maintain software for). And as long as I keep producing the products they want, it'll stay that way. So I guess the temptation exists to loaf and surf the Internet, but I rarely fall prey to it because I'm always so interested in what I'm actually supposed to be doing.

I wrote (and am constantly tweaking and adding to) the software that keeps track of the developmentally-disabled who receive services from the state (Louisiana).

In a lot of ways, Cliff has been my inspiration; I love being able to tell my users about a new feature or upgrade...

I hate my day job (technical writer). Not so much the job as much as my boss. Lying, back-stabbing, two-faced c#nt. I make enough money playing music to survive, but I have the day job to save some money for my kid's education. No other reason could inspire me to put up with the shit I tolerate at work when I don't really have to.

I am an electrician full time and a student full time. I prefer the 'student' part most of the time. Being an electrician is hard work, but extremely rewarding. Sometimes I hate it though, like when I'm digging 2-3 feet into someone's extremely hard dirt to fix some wires, or when it's 120 degrees in someone's attic in the middle of July. I go to school for Environmental Science and just left the Military about a year ago. I like to keep my 'options' open and think I'll end up like Mike Rowe (from television/Ford commercials). He lives a life in which he emphasizes career changes every 4 years, which I'll probably end up doing! Should mention I graduate with my B.S. in December, as if anybody cares :pirate:

Back
Top Bottom