who here loves their jobs?

sundance_kiddsg

Experienced
the responses to fabio's thread on being self-employed got me thinking.
i am always envious of friends or people i know who are making a living out of doing things they love or have genuine interest in.
personally i don't particularly fancy my job. the only thing that drags me out of bed is knowing that i am getting paid pretty okay for what they think i am proficient at (big difference from what i am actually :mrgreen).
anyone here making a decent living from something that they look forward to each day?
do share.

I surely do :)
I'm a software engineer, and work at home, so beside loving my job it also allows me to be in contact with my AxeFX and guitars all day long :)
Of course it's sometimes very stressful, and annoying when users have silly requests ^^
But i often find myself waiting for Monday morning just to try something i've thought about, call me nerd ;)

My job does not pay me a lot, but it lets me a lot of time for my daughter and wife, my hobbies etc... I guess you have to put the cursor between those different things in life, can't have lot of money AND time, apart when beeing a genius like Cliff ;)

LIke my job too: Business Consultant in R&D and Engineering for large companies. Spend a part of my time working in back office at home, and travel continuously in parallel (FR, EUr, US).
SO when I'm at home: take time with family and enjoy my AF2 and its environment !
And that's an important part in my life for a good balance.

I strongly believe that if someone is not happy with what he is doing, he should change that.
Change attitude towards the job, or change jobs.

You only live once (unless you believe in reincarnation), and life's too short to spend years and years doing something you don't like.

Last edited:
I am employed by CenturyLink as a Central Office Switchman. I do enjoy my work, and I am paid well for the services I provide.
As with any thing we do, there are bad days as well as good. I feel good about me when I do my job well.

Started my first job my freshman year of collage working for Microsoft in the early nineties and retired a few years later at 26 years old. I'm 45 now and donate all my free time to charities.

Work is a whole different matter when you're not doing it for money and just trying to make a difference.

At the beginning, when I first left MS, I amassed an incredible guitar collection did the crazy car thing bought a big house etc... Found out things don't make you happy. Well, guitars and amps kinda do, but I digress...

Happiness is in life experiences. Live every day to the fullest, and don't put any limitations on yourself. You're much more capable then you give yourself credit for, and give back to others expecting nothing back in return because that's the most important thing you will ever do.

I love my '2nd job' as an Ortho-Bionomy practitioner. I help people move beyond trauma and pain, physical and spiritual. I am constantly learning, and constantly growing in this area. But this kind of healing work does not pay well, hence my '1st' job, as a consulting programmer/analyst. I like the challenges there, and the pay is good, and as a consultant, I make my own hours and do some work at home. But after programming for 35 years... I'm a little burnt.

Started my first job my freshman year of collage working for Microsoft in the early nineties and retired a few years later at 26 years old. I'm 45 now and donate all my free time to charities.

Work is a whole different matter when you're not doing it for money and just trying to make a difference.

At the beginning, when I first left MS, I amassed an incredible guitar collection did the crazy car thing bought a big house etc... Found out things don't make you happy. Well, guitars and amps kinda do, but I digress...

Happiness is in life experiences. Live every day to the fullest, and don't put any limitations on yourself. You're much more capable then you give yourself credit for, and give back to others expecting nothing back in return because that's the most important thing you will ever do.

Good for you man. I'm curious though...how were you able to retire after just a few years working there? Lots of company stock? Personal friends with Bill Gates?

That's an awesome story!!! Congrats on your success. It's great that you are able to devote your time to things that you believe in and I admire the fact that you are doing that. Too many people in your situation do nothing of value with the rest of their lives.

Good for you man. I'm curious though...how were you able to retire after just a few years working there? Lots of company stock? Personal friends with Bill Gates?

In the early days, being the late 80s early 90s, MS compensated everyone primarily in stock. By the mid 90s if you'd been there for five or more years, you had enough stock to do what you want. In the group of the people I came into the company with, I was actually the last one to retire.

I love what I do, I just did not love who I was doing it for. Once I started working for myself the issue has been resolved and it has been a wonderful low stress couple of years so far. Getting the next project is a bit of a drag but my wife is great landing new business. Did I mention I work side by side with my wife? I love it!

I LOVE my main job.
SolidWorks 3D CAD operator.
It's like playing a video game all day!

Also am co-manager for the company.
This is the only real down side to what I do... having to deal with the people.
It is especially hard when I have to fire people! :(

I'm currently under-employed in my field, but that was a choice to make for the sake raising our kids. We moved where we live now for my wife's job. In additional to teach private lessons (about 30 a week), I was teaching at a community college, but after two years it was obvious that the position was going nowhere. I've always been more successful being self-employed. So I only teach at home now, and am a stay at home first and foremost. It's a good sacrifice. Do what's important.

I love my job sometimes. I'm the chief test pilot for my company on the army's Predator UAV program (named Gray Eagle). When I'm actually flying it's awesome but the managerial collateral duties (75% of my time) suck. It pays for guitars and Axe-FX II's and such so I can't really complain. What really sucks is I can't do it for much longer. My vision is deteriorating rapidly so I'm hanging it up at the end of the year.

I work for a utility company as a senior analyst and project manager, trying to reduce pollution and improve the performance of our systems, so I'm working for the environment and our customers every day and I really love what I do - it's demanding and intense, but I do something very varied, and rewarding and work with great people. I actually spent a couple of years self-employed as a sound engineer and musician before this and I genuinely prefer my current job - I only like one half of the phrase "music business."

Back
Top Bottom