Who here got rid of ALL of their pedals for Axe-Fx?

I sold my pedal rig, along with my egnater mod 50 head and a hermida 1x12 cab to buy the axe ii, mfc & k12. Haven't regretted the swap for one second. For my needs and playing its been one of the best guitar moves I've made in my
Years of playing.

Buying back my pedals and amps. I kept some pedals, and kept one amp. It is very cool that so many find a home with it. :D

Wow. Affirming testimonies!

On a side note: How easy is it to operate delays with the Axe? Meaning, I use "tap tempo" often. I'm assuming the answer is "easy." So, how is it done?

Mine are all long gone!

boltrecords said:
All my stuff was sold too. About 2000-2500 in pedals. Klon centaur was a tough one to sell

+1 on the Klon...

...Doubling my money made it a little easier though.

Buying back my pedals and amps. I kept some pedals, and kept one amp. It is very cool that so many find a home with it. :D
Please explain more ~~~
Quite hesitant to do so here.
For me, the Axe is a great tool for "aural sculpting" for me. Amps and pedals feel better to me for those things (I prefer the amp in front of the Axe, thus pedals for pre- amplifier duties; also, certain pedals I like have "signature sounds"). As an outboard unit, post preamp/post power amp/send-return mix unit, it is a great investment. Axe-Edit is a lifesaver IMO, absolutely brilliant. The Axe has incredible user-friendly flexability I could not find elsewhere, while providing state-of-the-art effects in a neutral, pristine environment.

If version 6 provides more tonal juiciness for me, then I gain more amp tones.. win-win. If not (for me), then no loss whatsoever. Just personal preference, no complaining, unhappy, "I am entitled to more!" or other BS. As I said.. very happy to see others find an entire home. The recorded tones from others are spectacular, I find no fault there. It is not lacking in time or ability to sculpt myself. This is purely from a personal "me jamming and recording" POV. 'Nuff said I hope. Hopefully not too much, too little, or communicated in/with error.

No problem with sold pedals here....AXE II with MFC is awesome

I had a $4000 gear Trailer Trash pedal board that took me years of searching to get the sounds I wanted, lots boutique pedals. Used it for a few years of gigs in Austin. I sold it last year and have not regretted it. The only pedals I have kept are:

1) Klon Centaur (they are so hard to come by, why part with it? Still a great sound)
2) RC Boost (good for single coil gain/warmth into AXE II)
3) Bought an Analog Man Sun Face Germanium for certain fuzz things have not figured out how to dial in yet
4) Spa Quack wah by Pro-Analog, which is not hooked up/don't use...but is very nice and hard to reproduce in AXE II so far (one day will nail it, it's the taper and range I haven't figured out quite yet)
5) Ernie Ball Volume pedal which I don't use...
6) a Philosopher tone compressor pedal (a gift from a buddy) which is not in the board but useful for clean sustain and slide, pretty sure AXE could emulate it...

I use 1-3 above on my "new" pedal board, in line from guitar to before the Axe FX II (fuzz first, then RC Boost, then Klon for solos) , but everything else on it is controllers for the AXE II plus an MFC.

I have not missed one pedal I sold, all the tones can be created in the AXE II with some patient tweaking. I took some time to carefully do that for each pedal before I sold it, and once Axe Change is up and running can post those. One thing I noticed is that sometimes (rarely but on occasion) it helps to have a PEQ behind an AXE EFX block pedal to boost certain frequencies to get them to do a perfect A/B match. I am wondering if the new Tone Match feature Cliff has brilliantly designed is going to let us do that type of thing with pedals/applicable their. Won't that be great if so?

It just takes time to tweak. I am still not there on recreating all the good Robin Trower/David Gilmour Electric Mistress flanger sounds, but then again, I haven't had one around to compare things too.

For example, on the "Run Like Heck" preset, it does a GREAT job of dual delay for the David Gilmour stereo echo sound. Not easy to get with a single pedal at all in mono.

I especially like the X/Y function, so a drive pedal and do two things -- like Drive 1 is Fuzz (X), then Drive 1 becomes an Octavia (Y) at click of floor switch. Gives you lots of options to cram effects in.

If you don't mind turning knobs or using AXE Edit software to find your fav pedal sounds, you'll be fine with the AXE II and doubt you'll miss anything. Again, AXE-Change when it returns will be a GREAT resource for those scouring for certain sounds.

And let's not forget you can create NEW sounds altogether. That's another really cool thing about this box. No cables! No power/battery failures! play as much as you like!

Attachments

• pedal1.jpg
    pedal1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 69
I had a $4000 gear Trailer Trash pedal board that took me years of searching to get the sounds I wanted, lots boutique pedals. Used it for a few years of gigs in Austin. I sold it last year and have not regretted it. The only pedals I have kept are:

1) Klon Centaur (they are so hard to come by, why part with it? Still a great sound)
2) RC Boost (good for single coil gain/warmth into AXE II)
3) Bought an Analog Man Sun Face Germanium for certain fuzz things have not figured out how to dial in yet
4) Spa Quack wah by Pro-Analog, which is not hooked up/don't use...but is very nice and hard to reproduce in AXE II so far (one day will nail it, it's the taper and range I haven't figured out quite yet)
5) Ernie Ball Volume pedal which I don't use...
6) a Philosopher tone compressor pedal (a gift from a buddy) which is not in the board but useful for clean sustain and slide, pretty sure AXE could emulate it...

I use 1-3 above on my "new" pedal board, in line from guitar to before the Axe FX II (fuzz first, then RC Boost, then Klon for solos) , but everything else on it is controllers for the AXE II plus an MFC.

I have not missed one pedal I sold, all the tones can be created in the AXE II with some patient tweaking. I took some time to carefully do that for each pedal before I sold it, and once Axe Change is up and running can post those. One thing I noticed is that sometimes (rarely but on occasion) it helps to have a PEQ behind an AXE EFX block pedal to boost certain frequencies to get them to do a perfect A/B match. I am wondering if the new Tone Match feature Cliff has brilliantly designed is going to let us do that type of thing with pedals/applicable their. Won't that be great if so?

It just takes time to tweak. I am still not there on recreating all the good Robin Trower/David Gilmour Electric Mistress flanger sounds, but then again, I haven't had one around to compare things too.

For example, on the "Run Like Heck" preset, it does a GREAT job of dual delay for the David Gilmour stereo echo sound. Not easy to get with a single pedal at all in mono.

I especially like the X/Y function, so a drive pedal and do two things -- like Drive 1 is Fuzz (X), then Drive 1 becomes an Octavia (Y) at click of floor switch. Gives you lots of options to cram effects in.

If you don't mind turning knobs or using AXE Edit software to find your fav pedal sounds, you'll be fine with the AXE II and doubt you'll miss anything. Again, AXE-Change when it returns will be a GREAT resource for those scouring for certain sounds.

And let's not forget you can create NEW sounds altogether. That's another really cool thing about this box. No cables! No power/battery failures! play as much as you like!

Appreciate your detailed reflection and experience with the Axe-Fx II!

Quite hesitant to do so here.
For me, the Axe is a great tool for "aural sculpting" for me. Amps and pedals feel better to me for those things (I prefer the amp in front of the Axe, thus pedals for pre- amplifier duties; also, certain pedals I like have "signature sounds"). As an outboard unit, post preamp/post power amp/send-return mix unit, it is a great investment. Axe-Edit is a lifesaver IMO, absolutely brilliant. The Axe has incredible user-friendly flexability I could not find elsewhere, while providing state-of-the-art effects in a neutral, pristine environment.

If version 6 provides more tonal juiciness for me, then I gain more amp tones.. win-win. If not (for me), then no loss whatsoever. Just personal preference, no complaining, unhappy, "I am entitled to more!" or other BS. As I said.. very happy to see others find an entire home. The recorded tones from others are spectacular, I find no fault there. It is not lacking in time or ability to sculpt myself. This is purely from a personal "me jamming and recording" POV. 'Nuff said I hope. Hopefully not too much, too little, or communicated in/with error.

Really appreciate your perspective!

I picked about 8 pedals and got the RJM switcher to hook them up, but I became disenchanted because:

1) Programming the RJM mastermind was a little frustrating for me (i am a midi novice)
2) While I liked the sound of the pedals, they interacted differently sometimes depending on how they were hooked up
3) I couldn't change setting of the non-midi pedals, except by changing settings on each pedal
3) I couldn't really control my guitar synth stuff with this setup.

I sold the rjm switcher and mastermind, timefactor, modfactor, a few drive pedals, a roland synth module, and a couple other pedals and came up with almost enough dough to buy the AXEFX2 at full price. My intention was just to use it for the effects, but when I heard the amps, I quickly became an addict. I think it's easier for me to get a great sound with the AXE than with the real stuff. And you can control a lot of the effect settings with modifiers, which gives you tons of options. For example, you can hook up a leslie cabinet and have the speed controlled by the pitch of your guitar, or the envelope. It really opens things up. And you can do it with headphones, for pete's sake!

I believe the Axe is probably one of the most significant inventions for the guitarist in a long time, maybe ever, simply because it is very easy for anyone to get a really good sound with very little effort and money.

Cheers to Cliff and FAS.

I wanted to use the Axe in 4CM mode with my D-clone.
Planned on selling a pedal or two if the Axe did the job.
It's all gone. I use the Axe FRFR and my rig is silent and efficient.
Sold enough pedals, amps, and other accouterments to finance most of the Axe with a very modest financial outlay. Don't think I'll ever look back.
The only thing I want is to eventually buy a second one for back up. But that's in the rather distant future.

when we figure out how to replicate what i get out of my Devi Ever pedals and my OTO Biscuit. . . then i'll sell all in lieu of the AFX =)

I was hoping that by getting the Axe FXII that I could replace all of my pedals and amps, but I have not gotten rid of any of my vintage amps or pedals.
Some of the drive pedals in the Axe FXII sound nothing like the real thing to me, in particular the tonebender. I can plug my old Tonebender into a Vox AC30 and nail all those old Jeff Beck era Yardbirds solo fuzz tones. Can't even get close with the tonebender in the Axe. So I will be keeping my vintage Tonebender. I'll also be keeping my vintage Fuzz face. The Fuzz Face in the Axe is ok, but it can't duplicate the sound of my old one. I can't duplicate my old Jordan Bosstone or Foxx Tone Machine with the Axe either. I can get some sounds out of my old ADA Flanger that I haven't been able to duplicate with the Axe. Actually just about all of my pedals sound better than their counterparts in the Axe FXII. The Axe II is getting better all the time though. I may someday be able to sell all my old stuff and just use the Axe. Right now I am still using my old tube amps and pedalboard live and just using the Axe at home. I am hoping to start using the Axe FXII live in the near future though.

Here's a reason why I'm thinking of getting rid of ALL of my pedals to purchase Axe-Fx II:
1) Money;
2) No Dependency (crutch) on pedals;
3) Commitment to learning Axe-Fx II;
4) Commitment to simplicity with gear; and
5) Other reasons.

So, who here exclusively uses Axe-Fx, and got rid of all pedals? This is my current pedal board I'm willing to part with. Or, should I hold on to them?

PB-2012.jpg

Looking at your Board, you can easily dial in 60% of what I see here with very little fuss -- the reverb, chorus, full drive, BB, tremelo....the OCD is trickier, have not heard the Plush or the Demon...if the tube EXF loop is to get more gain before hit amp, the AXE II can do that too. I'd only temporarily keep any really special boutique "before the amp" pedals, don't worry about wet effects/those are all in there....then once you get the AXE II, you can take your time to dial in the those boutique things until you are happy, and then sell those, or keep if you can't AXE II quite where you want. Even Dweezil and other AXE II users will use drive pedals in front of the AXE II to color certain sounds or guitar pickups before it...

You are on the right track. But you'll need an MFC-101 too so you still "have a pedalboard" to stomp on!

I took the dive and sold Xotic RC, Xotic BB, Catlinbread Dirty Little Secret, Wampler Plexidrive, Aquapuss analog delay, Line 6 M9, and my Dr Z Maz. I just got the unit this week. I'm not sure yet if I have regrets. I'm still just going through the presets. If I can get 5 or 6 stellar sounds, I'll be completely happy. I'm impressed. The only thing I'm not sure I can get is that raw dry tube sound I got from the Maz. It's almost as if you are "playing" the tubes. Hopefully with each vision we'll get closer. I just can't deny the reliability and convenience of the axefx.

I took the dive and sold Xotic RC, Xotic BB, Catlinbread Dirty Little Secret, Wampler Plexidrive, Aquapuss analog delay, Line 6 M9, and my Dr Z Maz. I just got the unit this week. I'm not sure yet if I have regrets. I'm still just going through the presets. If I can get 5 or 6 stellar sounds, I'll be completely happy. I'm impressed. The only thing I'm not sure I can get is that raw dry tube sound I got from the Maz. It's almost as if you are "playing" the tubes. Hopefully with each vision we'll get closer. I just can't deny the reliability and convenience of the axefx.

Use Class A model, master to kill, and up the 'damp' parameter. High volume, bias, and B+ to taste, and you'll feel your tubes.

Sold all of my pedals except for the Turbo Tuner.
I don't really use the drive pedals very much in the Axe but build amp patches that do the job.

Seriously thrilled with my rig. Looking forward to version 6. I will revisit drive pedals after the upgrade arrives.

As of yet I have hung on to all of my pedals, I can still find use for many of them. Some are going to be sold soon, I can recreate many of them accurately with the axe fx II, just haven't had the time yet. I enjoy having multiple pedal controls at my fingertips, and since i don't yet have an mfc-101 it is sometimes more beneficial for me to have physical pedals to shape the sound in the moment.
IMG_2499.jpgIMG_2588.jpg

Not sold any yet. I could get rid of compressor, tremolo, chorus, delay etc, but not any of the drive pedals. As of now the Axe really doesn't sound anything like them.

just sold my last one - af2 does everything i need now - in fact i had so many that once sold i bought myslef another thorn GT with the proceeds!

Back
Top Bottom