Who has " sold it all" and gone AXE FX??????

I never really had an amp or effects collection. Had a Marshall Valvestate 8080 for YEARS, with a PodXT for effects and so on. Then upgraded to the HD500. Then went to the Axe FX 2, complete with FRFR (Matrix).

For me, it seemed the best value way of doing it. I was considering a killer Marshall head, like the JVM, and that would be over £1000 for that alone, and of course I would need a cab. And the effects! The Axe FX 2 gives me the JVM, plus a load of other amps, plus all the effects and routing I might need, and in a nice rack form factor. Job done!

It was my original hope to sell it all and just use the Axe FXII as an all in one solution, but after about a year and a half that has not turned out to be the case. I love the Axe FXII for recording direct into Digital Performer, and for playing at home through my studio monitors, but nothing I have tried so far has worked well enough for to give up my real amps and pedals for live use. I am still trying to figure it all out and getting closer every day. For now I am still using my Marshall Plexis live with my vintage pedals, and all the Eventide Factor series pedals.

I think the next thing I am going to try is buying a pair of QSCK12's to play the Axe FXII through live. That solution seems to work great for Dweezil Zappa. Dweezil does use a whole lot of other stomp boxes and the Eventide pedals also.

Amps are long gone. I keep hanging onto some pedals "just in case", but I never use them & am wondering when this mythical day when I need them will ever come.

That`s only way to A/B. If you play loud with FRFR it get the "in-the-room" feeling. Because it IS in the room (with reflections)

EXACTLY. In band rehearsals, the room dictates we have to face inwards at each other. So if I walk closer to the other guitarist, I hear more of him, and less of me. He is using a traditional tube head and cab setup. We obviously have different sounds, but no way do I think my FRFR cab sounds 'miced up' when I walk back to my side of the room... it just sounds like an amp rocking out!

Working on it. Most of my guitars are for sale over at TGP Emporium. (Looking for PRS DGT and Swamp Ash Special with Narrowfields.)

All my pedals are listed there, and my tube amps will be too.

In order to get my Axe Fx II I had to sell almost everything from my old gear setup: I sold a Triaxis, a Lexicon MPX G2, a wah pedal and a one piece Ibanez JPM100 P4 custom coloured like the prototype model in the "Another Day" video.
With that money plus my savings I was able to get the Axe II and score a great deal on a used but minty Ibanez RG Prestige 3120TW.
Well, I have never looked back ever since: couldn't be much happier now.

Sold EVERYTHING I had

Yes, I couldn't believe it, I friend of mine told me about his Axe FX II and he sold a Soldano SLO, a Bogner Ecstasy, a Mesa Boogie Dual Rect., an Elmwood (6000 €) and many many other things. I checked it out and in about two minutes I decided on selling everything I had (Two wonderful DC-3 90's Boogies, a 1972 Marshall Super Lead in mint condition, and a Soldano SLO, plus about 10 great pedals (such an original 1980 TS 808 among others...). Also I sold my two vintage 1968 and 1972 Marshall 4x12 cabinets with Celestion Pre-Rola 1965 Greenbacks in mint condition...

I own a Ultra FX with two amazing Tecnare V 15 PCC (FRFR), after owning two Alto Tourmax 112 and later a couple of greats RCF 12 "..., well, this is great stuff, but if you have the choice of checking out the Tecnare V 15 you won't believe what you will hear there... The ONLY problem: they cost about 3000 € each, but it worth every dolar or euro you pay, for sure...

THANK YOU FRACTAL AUDIO!!!!!

its the best investment i ever made- :encouragement: take the first step!!! and any troubles-come to the forum-

I was on the verge of taking the big leap from my old solid state Marshall and Pod XT Live. I was a lot into amp modelling so It was either marrying to a tube amp or making a quantum leap in modelling. I went for the second one, and I cant be happier. I sold the Marshall, the Pod and got rid of some pedals and still keep a simple stompbox, for when I dont want to move the AxeFx2 and Atomic wedge. But for toneseekers this is THE holy grail.

As soon as I heard the effects on this godly unit I sold my WHOLE pedal rig. The DD-7 Boss Delay and RV-5 Boss Reverb have absolutely NOTHING on the Axe FX II effects.

I still have a small arsenal of tube gear and stomps. Playing toe-to-toe with an amp and cab are still very inspirational to me; and it's not a matter of having to go either way. I would have liked it to be - just quite divisive and all - but it hasn't gone that way yet. Maybe in time.

Boogie Mark V head......gone

Marshall JCM 800 4 x 12 cab......gone

Line 6 Vetta w/4 x 12 cab........gone

Carvin Legacy......gone

Usual collection of Boss pedals.......gone

TC G Force......gone

All that's left is the Peavey Vypyr 120w tube head and as soon as that's gone, a Matrix 1000 amp and Axe 2 that will get paired up with my Port City OS 2 x 12.

ENGL SE - GONE
ENGLE PowerBall - GONE
TWO ROCK JADE - GONE
MESA 3CH DUAL REC - GONE
GERMINO MASONETTE - GONE
PEAVEY 6505 PLUS - GONE
ORIGINAL VHT FAT BOTTOM 4x12 CAB - GONE
PEAVEY XXL Combo GONE

BB PREAMP, H20, MAXON OD9, BOSS TUNER, BOSS NOISE GATE, ALL GONE!!!

Had lots of great high end boutique amps and pedals over the years - all gone. It was an absolute no-brainer for me. The live tones FOH are at least as good as any mic'd amp set up I have used, and that is more important to me than stage sound when gigging.

does it sound and feel like my real amps did, yes and no. depends on the context. one thing is for sure - other people, esp non guitarists, could never tell the difference and, unlike some, I couldn't care less what other guitarists think. bottom line for me though:

-1/10 the size and weight of my analog rigs
-great tones at ANY volume
-manageable stage and practice volumes
-insane versatility and tonal possibilities

like some have said, you just need to try one to see if it suits you.

Sold my Mesa Roadster head, 2 X 12 recto cab, T.C. G-System and a bunch of pedals when I got my Ultra, and now I have the II ... I've been happy with the decision ever since.

I sold a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 and a Strauss 100W Polka and a LOT of pedals. The only pedal I am actually using is my MXR M222 Talkbox. I've still got my Digitech XP300 Space Station but I've copied most of the sounds into the Axe FX 2.

Back
Top Bottom