Who has " sold it all" and gone AXE FX??????

I have sold off a LOT of my stuff to be replaced with an Axe FX II. Tube amps I have owned have include Marshalls, Dual Rec's, Triaxis/2:90, VHT's and a variety of preamp/power amp combinations. The only pieces of "original" gear I have kept include my Fryette 2:50:2 (which I will never sell), My Korg DTR 2000 (which is not only cool to look at but far easier than the Axe tuner) and my power conditioner (as it only takes up one space).

I honestly can't see me buying a tube amp again.

I too have found loads of FX I like in the AF2, especially time-based and compressors, but not found many OD pedals I like. I I like the BJFE Honey Bee, klon, Zendrive 2 - as yet I have not found the built in ODs to match these
Don't get me wrong, I love the AF2, I'm just pointing out where I'd like more options

Those would all be great additions and I think most have been requested several times. I compared the actual zen drive to the one in the axe and the pedal had so much more depth and 3d like quality to it. maybe the mimic technologie can get it closer, I hope. Cliff did mention that it can be applied to the drives as well.

I sold my entire rig to get the Axe FX II! Had a pretty complex setup VERY similar to Petrucci's just before he switched to the Axe FX II... I don't regret selling it all one bit!

I haven't sold all my gear yet but I haven't used it been playing nothing but the axe, going from 2 heads huge rack 2 pedal boards 2 bags of cables act. After setting up all that gear I wAs about dead, then tearing down all the gear while everyone else was talking having a drink relaxing. Now I have a 6space rack 4 cables and my pedal board and depending on the gig 2x12,4x12, fr,fr or no cabs at all. I am no longer KILLING MYSELF trucking a TON of Gear and for backup not that I would need it I have a heavy metal pedal, a 44 magnum power amp pedal. The AXEFX2 is the BEST CHOICE I have ever made and it just KICKS ASS

I did. I feel rather mature for doing it too. Holding onto a bunch of antiquated technology that takes up so much room is dwelling in too much nostalgia IMO. The AxeFx2 is there as far as I'm concerned.

I keep telling folks to take the amps that "do something the axe just can't do" and stick a mic in front and record. then play back the recording when comparing it to the axefx. Might be surprised how much the room is effecting your judgement.

Sold:
• 1970 Traynor
• 1965 Fender Bassman
• Fender Vibroverb Handwired
• Marshall JTM45/100 (Handwired)
• 1974 Marshall Cab
• Faustine Phantom Attenuator
• 1970 Vox Wah

Using the money to upgrade my recording studio abilities.

I keep telling folks to take the amps that "do something the axe just can't do" and stick a mic in front and record. then play back the recording when comparing it to the axefx. Might be surprised how much the room is effecting your judgement.

That`s only way to A/B. If you play loud with FRFR it get the "in-the-room" feeling. Because it IS in the room (with reflections)

Yep!

Apples to apples, if you are using a close-miked IR, is to close mic the real amp in iso and compare the two.

I've been ampless since the end of 2009 when I bought the axe-fx ultra and now I have a II.

I miss the feeling of having an amp though.

As of now the only "amp" I want is an Atomic CLR

I don't know if close mic the only way to AB. How about a room mic in the same location? then you can see what projects and caries sound better. It has to move air like an amp to me. Recording is only one thing and the axe records well because you get the pure clean signal, without relying on the mic. Live playing is a different animal, In my experimenting I found that my amp just sounds better, for whatever reason. I'm not a sound engineer just a guitar player that's been playing professionaly for over 20 years.

That`s only way to A/B. If you play loud with FRFR it get the "in-the-room" feeling. Because it IS in the room (with reflections)

I'm playing the amps in the same room, right next to the AF2 through FRFR. My FRFR is very loud and has a large sub. In fact I can play over backing tracks on it with the real amps
I'm talking about playing the amps rather than recording. I would not be surprised if the mic'd up amps sound more or less good than the AF2 when recorded and played back through FRFR.
What I'm saying is - some of the amps I've got have sounds and feel in the room that I can't yet find in the AF2, which is why I still want them, btw I couldn't give xxxx about nostalgia, I don't own any old guitars (beyond the ESP copy strat I bought when I was 19), I think we make guitars better now than we ever did, I only have one old valve amp, again I think we make valve amps and speakers better now too. Pedals too are way better now. Contrary to some beliefs, I believe the human race learned something in the last 50 years and now makes better stuff, not worse (as long as you pay for the good stuff!)

I would still take the AF2 out to perform with rather than a real amp though, don't get me wrong, I'm a fan
But so far, I still want my favourite valve amps in the studio

Cheers
Tone

I don't know if close mic the only way to AB. How about a room mic in the same location? then you can see what projects and caries sound better. It has to move air like an amp to me. Recording is only one thing and the axe records well because you get the pure clean signal, without relying on the mic. Live playing is a different animal, In my experimenting I found that my amp just sounds better, for whatever reason. I'm not a sound engineer just a guitar player that's been playing professionaly for over 20 years.

If you are using the cab block and a close miked IR, then close miking the amp in isolation and listening to both from the same listening position, with the same playback system is the only apples to apples.

But you could also not use the cab block and A/B the real amp with the AxeFx using a clean solid state amp and the exact same guitar cabinet, switching the cab between the real amp and the axefx, that is apples to apples too. Even if you are in the room with the cab.

Just a note to say I love the way we can have a proper discussion here without a flame war breaking out every 5 posts.
We Fractalites must be much nicer people than all those other internet people

I sold an Axe FX Ultra, Mesa dual rectifier 3ch, a Mesa Heartbreaker 2x12 combo, Vox AC30C2, Peavey classic 50 4x10, fender blues junior, tim pedal, paisley drive...

and I have NEVER been happier with what I am getting out of the axe 2!!!

Hoho ... my stash of NOS tubes for the Matchless and Fender Vibroverb got me enough money to invest in the Axe II. Now the amps are going. I will then have enough do to buy a frfr stereo set-up. Untill then I'm as reborn along with the Strat.

I ditched everything when i switched to a standard.Then the standard for the 2.The axe is like bunnies in springtime.The amps and stuff keep multiplying and multiplying!

Back
Top Bottom