Who has " sold it all" and gone AXE FX??????

an old thread, but now I've had my AF2 for more than a year, I can state an opinion:
Since buying the AF2, I now have just as many valve amps, and I play them more than I play the AF2, in my studio. Bear in mind I play cleaner sounds, so I have to tweak most presets to bring the overdrive down
However, I would much rather take the AF2 out if I played gigs, but with career and kids that's not practical at present

Ironically, since I got the AF2, I've bought more FX pedals, not sure why that is!

My currently conclusions are:
if I had limited cash, I would just have an AF2
if I only played metal, I would just have an AF2
AF2 is great to use instead of an acoustic guitar amp, using guitar body IR improves piezos too. Also good for bass
The AF2 beats pretty much all the normal amps you see today in typical guitar stores
The best Boutique valve amps have something special, and so far I have not found those sounds in the AF2. I do think they will come one day
It's a popular message to state "I sold all my amps since I bought my AxeFx", but I think this is not the best idea for everyone, yet

I sold one of my amps, and three four vintage pedals plus maybe 6-8 modern pedals and my behringer fcb1010 plus a couple of rack effects
and 2 old rack synthesizers ....
bought an axew fxII markII + mfc101 + 2 mission engineering pedals and a pair of krk5 studio monitors
and have never been more satisfied with my gear than now.
The best upgrade I've ever done and when fw10 and ae arrives it's gonna be purely awesome

:)

Sold my last tube amp early 2012, at axefx II acquisition. No regrets. Recommend however to have a small FRFR amplification solution (wedge or similar) if you play in bars. Home PA's are not always the same quality and sound quality may differ depending to that. Nevertheless am totally satisfied about having get rid of the hassle and fuzz of driving around kgs (or lbs in the US).

I have sold my Blackstar Series One amp, Blackstar pedals, Nova System and some MXR pedals but I still keeping the Blackstar 4 x 12 V30s. My current setup with Axe FX II is MFC 101 with 2 EB Jr Volume Pedal as expression pedals to Presonus Studio Channel to Matrix GT1000FX to a pair of Matrix CFR12s. I'm really happy with the setup....clean sound to high gain is just awesome.

I did. sold pod hd 500, pod hd pro, 2 Marshall jmp1, rocktron voodoo valve, engl e500, bugera head, 4x12 cabs w/ v30 and g12t75, velocity and Marshall 8008... sold'em while waiting for and after receiving axe fx 2
main satisfaction: sounds and time retrieved for practice, and..... space !!!

Me.

If I had had an Axe FX 2 only over the last 20 years, I would have spent FAR less money on gear. I am now waiting for a Xitone Active Wedge (Custom) and once the MFC gets into stock I will be done. Maybe a couple of more guitars...

Obviously I'm trying to provoke pleasant debate by taking the time to state my opinion, since there are many explaining that they have sold their gear.
Let me give a bit more detail:

I've played for 30+ years, had 2 nice classic amps since 20 years ago, and a few others - until 2006
Switched to playing and recording almost entirely through Protools plugins since 1999. Also gave up using pedals then
Started buying "Top 20 all time" amps and clones about 2006, selling amps I didn't like. Started buying nice pedals again 2009
All are non-metal amps, or I've adapted them to be non-metal (e.g. using reduced gain on a trainwreck clone)
Ordered AF2 May 2011, arrived at Christmas 2011

Current status: I typically play my amps loud but without driving the output stage beyond slight saturation.
I use a Flashback x4 delay, and occasionally some boutique OD pedals, etc

Looking at this list, I can only see one post mentioning selling a brand of amps that I would wish to own, pretty much all the brands and models mentioned seems to be Marshall or metal amps
I think the AF2 patches concentrate on these sounds, and are excellent. So much so in fact, that I've bought a more metal guitar to get back into playing that way a little.
On the other side of my playing though (e.g. a DC30 run cleanish, a Dumble clone HRM run clean, a Tweed Twin saturating slightly, a KT66 JTM45 clone run saturating a little, a tremolux 62), I have not found patches yet that are close to the sound and feel of these favourite amps. It may be that this is because much more effort has gone into dialling in more overdriven patches, but at present, for these sounds, I always turn to my valve amps when in my studio.

However, I would not bother taking any of these out to perform with, I would take the AF2 everytime (unless I had a roadcrew!)

I really look forward to when these less-OD amp sounds are also nailed to the same standard as the high-gain amps.

I suspect that those playing solely high-gain sounds would have a much easier choice in ditching their valve gear

Bought a Standard, sold it. Bought an Ultra, sold it. Bought a II, sold it. Bought a II again...have it right now - I'm persistent if nothing else.

Peavey 50/50, Rocktron ss, Mesa 50/50, Mesa 20/20, early Matrix, VHT 2902...have it right now. Going to get the 1 space Matrix again.

2/12's, 4/12's, 1/12's, right now two 40 year old 15" JBL in two separate cabs that sound the best of all with the Axe...

Bought and sold amps/effects right along with this little digital saga and will continue to do so. All related somewhat to the Axe, but not because or in spite of it going through the parade of gear. A couple of amps/fx units stay along the way because they're my home base sound, vibe and feel. If I'm lucky enough to have/keep all of them, and have the ability to carry a full setup, the room at a gig, and the extra 15 minutes it takes to set up head/cab/fx/pedal board over the time it takes to set up the Axe rack/cab/pedal board (?)...why would I sell all my favorite stuff to replace it with something that can approximate my favorite stuff? Lots of cool features about the Axe, and obviously keep coming back to it. Lots of cool stuff about my go-to tube amp head, fx unit combo, and lucky enough to keep coming back to it... Yah, can tone match. Need to vibe/feel match - is that in the new firmware update? Got a few items to sell right now, always looking for something else cool to play through. Big fan of the Axe. However, I'm a fan of chocolate too, but I don't stop eating strawberry because of it.

I have not unloaded any gear since getting the axe 4 months ago. I also have not used anything besides the axe since i got it.
I have 6 tube amps, 3 4x12 cabs and 10 spaces full of rack gear. I do not plan on getting rid of anything, I am buying nicer guitars lately.

In the process of selling everything including two Line 6 DTs + HD500, Egnater M4/Fryette 2/90/2 rig, a Carr Slant 6, and an Elmwood Modena M90 with Bruno 2x12 cab. I'll buy a second Axe so that I have a hot backup and one to use at band practice without lugging it around. I'm sensing a custom shop Brian Moore C90P.13 or USA Variax with the remaining cash.

Some stuff is getting sold. And, actually, some stuff is getting bought. I'm in the process of selling off 2 16U racks worth of 'stuff'; a few 4x12 cabinets; a couple 100W heads; some FX, etc. There are some key pieces I'm not prepared to part with - not yet anyway. And honestly, I'm still keen to pick up a few heads that I feel simply can't be "duplicated" to the way I love 'em.

If I HAD to sell everything, let's just say it would be made sums easier knowing the A2 was there for me through it all and at the end. Maybe in another 6 months of really digging in deep with this black box, I'll see no reason to hold on to the analog stuff, but for now, it's not a choice I'm forced to make. I will say, I can see how one "could" dump everything and just go with the A2 - it's pretty sick!!

probably when this is out...
firmware_zps4982dc38.jpg

i'll probably end up selling my AXE II to buy some more front panell oriented hardware! ;)

Man I had just bought a brand new spanking new rig right before the Axe 2 came out. Peavey 6505+, Mesa Rectifier Cab, Maxon OD808, ISP Decimator Pro Rack G, BBE Sonic Maximizer, like 4 mics for the cab, and pretty much everything else I needed to record tube amps decently in my home studio. Plus I had a POD X3, POD HD, several plugins and programs. I sold every bit of it last fall and immediately bought the Axe-Fx II. And happily I have not regretted it for one single moment! To date, it is currently the best, most satisfying product I have ever purchased in any category, and the most useful tool I have in my home studio. The Axe-Fx 2 inspires me everyday to get better at my craft. And the best part, the incredible updates and amazing hard work and dedication that Cliff and the dudes at Fractal put into their products allow me to feel like I am getting a brand new, even more superior product with each firmware update. Like I said, best, most rewarding product I have ever purchased in my entire 27 years on this Earth. Ditching everything and getting an Axe-Fx 2 was the best decision for me. No doubt. Thanks FAS!

Last edited:
love the axe for the fx but i havent been able create a sound as open and dynamic as my red plate amp. I wish I held on to my barber drive pedals too, the drives on the axe don't stand up to some of the high end boutique pedals out there. I'm mostly play clean amps and drives for boost and od,i really have very little use for high gain metal type sounds. I love the delays,chorus, vibe, wha, ring mod and the other fx in the axe, they are top of the line and replaced my giant pedal board nicely.

Last edited:
love the axe for the fx but i havent been able create a sound as open and dynamic as my red plate amp. I wish I held on to my barber drive pedals too, the drives on the axe don't stand up to some of the high end boutique pedals out there. I'm mostly play clean amps and drives for boost and od,i really have very little use for high gain metal type sounds. I love the delays,chorus, vibe, wha, ring mod and the other fx in the axe, they are top of the line and replaced my giant pedal board nicely.

I too have found loads of FX I like in the AF2, especially time-based and compressors, but not found many OD pedals I like. I I like the BJFE Honey Bee, klon, Zendrive 2 - as yet I have not found the built in ODs to match these
Don't get me wrong, I love the AF2, I'm just pointing out where I'd like more options

After listing all of the stuff I am selling off, I should have stated that I am keeping my Red Plate Astro Dust. I'm also holding on to my Suhr Riot OD pedal. Both give me tones that I love which I have not been able to reproduce yet in the Axe.

I sold off all of amps and cab and ended up buying a couple of combos to use to run Output 2 thru.
Now I'm selling those as well as since 9.02 came out th e"feel" that I felt was missing is now there (alot more anyway)
I'm confident V10 will get me close enough.
As far as Drive pedals go I like the Eternal Love , it's become my go to since it's been included, it doesn't add any 'boxiness"
to my patches, give it a try if you haven't yet.

I sold off all of amps and cab and ended up buying a couple of combos to use to run Output 2 thru.
Now I'm selling those as well as since 9.02 came out th e"feel" that I felt was missing is now there (alot more anyway)
I'm confident V10 will get me close enough. As far as Drive pedals go I like the Eternal Love , it's become my go to since it's been included, it doesn't add any 'boxiness"
to my patches, give it a try if you haven't yet.

That is actually one of the only drive I use. It's the best one in the axe, but it still doesn't compare to some of the pedals that i have tried. I been holding off on buying the wampler dual fusion drive, hoping that cliff improves the drive section soon. It's a huge bummer for me and a lot of other users that he hasn't updated the drives yet, just check the wish list.

http://youtu.be/ZtrD9o7OKy8

Last edited:
After listing all of the stuff I am selling off, I should have stated that I am keeping my Red Plate Astro Dust. I'm also holding on to my Suhr Riot OD pedal. Both give me tones that I love which I have not been able to reproduce yet in the Axe.

There is some magic in those red plate amps that is not there in the sims.

Back
Top Bottom