Who has " sold it all" and gone AXE FX??????

Biggest worries: not Feeling the POWER and girth in my tone that I am used to.
Not being able to dial in my high gain tones for a live setting/high volume
Needing to change something "on the fly" at a gig, and not being comfortable or knowledgeable to do it quick and efficiently.
The "random" issues people seem to have at times, (axe freezing, not knowing how to do something/ use the unit correctly etc)

Basically, I would be probably be more "scared" to use it live, than my live physical amps due to the last reason listed above. How do you know when you are "ready" to use the axe live and get the most out of it? These are the things that are really holding me back, and always have. sigh..............

I recently bought an RCF 310ART monitor to go along with the Axe II, and I practice with a live drummer, bass, acoustic, and singers and am PLENTY loud; love the way it moves air. Love the way it sounds, even though that is one of the lower end of the RCF series. Still have a couple tube amps, but haven't used them in quite awhile; but don't have a second Axe for backup.
It is so easy to bring it home after practice and hook it up to a couple studio near field monitors and have an excellent practice/tweaking rig that doesn't blow you away. It records superbly as well.

I've not sold anything.. don't really intend to either.. more like I can't.. must be some flaw deep within my brain..
I guess I just like gear.. even gear I don't use much...
if the lil' LEDs and LCDs in my studio make it look more like the bridge of the Starship Enterpise then I'm happy...

you can never have too many LEDs

I'm not being funny so please don't be offended....

but can you actually hear the ADC / DAC process????

Nikki can certainly speak eloquently to this if she chooses, but in speaking of her concerns at length in some of her past posts, her main issue seemed to be the nature of the attack of tube amps vs Axe Fx. While he wasn't expansive in the thread, there was a response from Cliff in one of those threads responding to her where he says something like "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." To my ear he was conceding that the nature of the beast is such that the conversion process and the input does do something to the attack which isn't replicating tube amp behavior exactly. Being the inquisitive explorer that she is, Nikki pressed him on the exact nature of the difference, but he didn't want to go there and that's where they left it.

The difference in attack behavior is a make or break difference for her choosing only to use the Axe II for effects and not for amp sounds as well. For most here, including me, that difference either isn't perceived or isn't a deal breaker. For me, it's the later. With older modelers like POD/POD2, it was almost like the attack was encased in aural plastic - nothing like a real amp. With the Axe I do hear a tiny trace of that characteristic, but it's followed by so much dialability that I still feel I get more expressiveness out of the attack on the Axe II than I do with my tube amps/pedals except under their absolute optimum operating conditions, and even then the current Axe II sound is right there with the tube rig to my ear.

Not I... I do plan to move a couple of items to pay for a new guitar, but I still like the pedals/amps thing and the axe does not replace them in my experience. But I am playing the Axe most of the time lately. Still waiting for these new FRFR items to drop... playing the Axe through various monitors, which is cool, but not ideal.

Sold my Engl e580 preamp and tc electronic g-major2 for starters to buy the Axe-II. I then sold a few cabinets. I ony have an Engl sovereign 1X12 combo and Engl e840 power amp and Engl 2X12 slant cab now. Still on the fence about selling a cry baby wah and ebow.

I've owned other amps and cabs but was stuck on an Engl kick when I learned about the Axe. I'm not gonna sell the rest of my gear because I use the power amp and slant 2X12 with the Axe along with my Dynaudio studio monitors. Its a great A/B setup. I have to say that most of the time the Dynaudio's and the (power amp/2X12cab) sound very close, which is good. I think in part this is because I did my own IR captures on a variety of cabs both mine and others. When I run the cab block off with the power amp its sounds close in a lot of cases.

I had both of my amps modded to accept EL34's and I Still love the combo. Its nice to have both an occasional taste of tubes and reference to the Axe.

Its what helps me stay close to the real tube sound. I stopped trying to tone match my 1X12 combo and use it more as a gauge of how much I'm straying. The Axe is taking me places my amp can't, because one amp can't sound like many. For this reason its not about just staying in the zone for me. I mostly play my Axe, but will definitely not to get rid of my tubes completely.

Last edited:
Nikki can certainly speak eloquently to this if she chooses, but in speaking of her concerns at length in some of her past posts, her main issue seemed to be the nature of the attack of tube amps vs Axe Fx. While he wasn't expansive in the thread, there was a response from Cliff in one of those threads responding to her where he says something like "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." To my ear he was conceding that the nature of the beast is such that the conversion process and the input does do something to the attack which isn't replicating tube amp behavior exactly. Being the inquisitive explorer that she is, Nikki pressed him on the exact nature of the difference, but he didn't want to go there and that's where they left it.

The difference in attack behavior is a make or break difference for her choosing only to use the Axe II for effects and not for amp sounds as well. For most here, including me, that difference either isn't perceived or isn't a deal breaker. For me, it's the later. With older modelers like POD/POD2, it was almost like the attack was encased in aural plastic - nothing like a real amp. With the Axe I do hear a tiny trace of that characteristic, but it's followed by so much dialability that I still feel I get more expressiveness out of the attack on the Axe II than I do with my tube amps/pedals except under their absolute optimum operating conditions, and even then the current Axe II sound is right there with the tube rig to my ear.

wow... I had no idea... none at all..
I've used rack fx for so long now I can't recall what it's like to play through an amp..
that said.. my 2120 has real valves in it...
I can't say I've noticed anything attack wise that I couldn't attribute to the gating [and when you're a hi-gainer like me you need a gate]
hmm... maybe that's why I've never noticed... cos my tone is so filth ridden that it hides what's really going on..
haaa... so in this case maybe it actually does pay to be a mindless headbanger.. lol...

thanks though... interesting thoughts / comments....

I'd sell off anything I'm not using. I used to think that more is more, but now I feel "having the best is best".
And I'm still removing clutter from my life.

For me, I have trouble with any ADC/DAC in front of an amp, be it a tube or SS amp.

Mikey summed it up rather nicely (thank you!) :D
I would hate to take up yet more space with my ramblings, but feel the question deserves some additional jabber. Also, please note, once again, I am not faulting anyone, or seeking to disparage the Axe or anything; in fact, I am honestly incredibly envious of those who have found, and will find, such a happy home with the Axe as an amp.

When I said that about ADC-DAC, it is in general. Even simply going through a trusted DI and into an ADC and monitoring back through a DAC "throws me." It is not a latency issue. Best I can figure is that, due to the way my brain works, details in things I perceive across my senses will "stand out" far more than they will for others. If a detail or details is/are "not right" to me, my brain will sometimes hone in on it, making it nearly impossible to ignore. I could provide a multitude of comparative examples, but will refrain from doing so, save this one: word usage, and conveying *information*. I believe this is why my replies can be somewhat lengthy, pedantic, etc. I never feel confident in my efforts to properly relate, and compensate in this manner. Details. And it is the same with ADC-DAC in front of an amp; the signal is not being "translated properly" IMO. Different feel, different sound. Minutely to some, nearly indiscernibly to others; at times, an "elephant in the room" for me. Sometimes wearing a clown outfit. With the Axe (not alone, but unique in its own way), there is the additional attack issue (which Mikey elaborated upon quite thoroughly). Primarily, these issues with ADC-DAC (and the Axe in front/as an amp) prevent me from being comfortable only when actually playing. I wish I could ignore it; be oblivious of it. I envy you that can. (yes, this applies to everything for me; while a seeming bane in some cases, it can be a boon elsewhere. But, it can also be quite isolating). 'Nuff said? :D

Yes, I definitely believe that you can hear or feel a n y effect (be it analog or digital, with only one exception see below) before amp input or in the fx loop (be it parallel or series). For me, the only way I could live with was by inserting a Lehle Pedal (imho the one and only pedals in the world without any impact to sound and feel) before the amp and using the fx loop only as out to fx and from the fx out into a vetta or some fx into a power amp and then stereo out to 2 4x12s.

But . . .

Axe II does it all, finally there's no signal degradation by adding fx (ok, you have to be careful with the mix parameters, and I still have an aversion against to much chorus weakening the signal), and I believe if you buy a decent FRFR monitoring (imho any will do, if it's a professional choice like EV or RCF or similar) you won't ever need another amplification system (until Version III :))).

I just have it for 4 weeks, but I will sell at least one of my two Fuchs ODS 100 (which I definitely endorse as being the best made tube amp I ever encountered after playing some really decent amps like an '68 Plexi, various JCM 800s, various Boogies and Soldano) and all FX, cabs and the gadgets needed to make my sound manageable by midi etc, so just the cables I do not need anymore may have had original cost of 1000+ € . . .

Finally, I will be the first on stage having my beer and giving good advice . . .

I feel pretty fortunate that I didn't acquire a crapload of gear before discovering the Axe-Fx. That way I didn't have to take a big loss when I sold it all.

Nikki - although I can totally understand what you are saying.. when it comes to playing I really don't feel what you're saying...
I can certainly feel when tones don't produce enough sensitivity on the fingerboard [the sort of light touch that you get with the compression generated by hi-gain]..
my technique is reasonably advanced and also quite fussy when it comes to the feel of the combination of the guitar setup and preset tone..
crunchy tones though I can't work with.. not from an amp or fx unit... they just feel too clunky to me..
I guess it's cos I have a very gentle touch..
but I really can't feel or perceive any attack issues...
even when I'm playing quite quickly

I still own and use my amp and pedals. I switch back and forth between the Axe II and my analog rig. The Axe can do just about anything I need but I still like using my analog gear. It's nice to have a good backup in case the Axe ever goes down ( it hasn't so far) plus I enjoy buying new pedals and trying new gear, that's half the fun. Instead of using the Axe to duplicate analog gear, I sometimes use my analog gear to try and duplicate tones and effects I discovered with the Axe.

I keep a tube amp around as a rig for guests to play through and as a backup. I also use this amp when messing with overdrive pedal circuits and when testing new pedal builds. I also have a few pedals left - mostly my builds (prototypes, etc). As I've not been doing much pedal building this analog rig rarely gets turned on. If I'm playing guitar I'm playing through the Axe FX II.

I retired my JCM-800 50W head and 4x12's from gigging years ago but still use that rig at a friends rehearsal/jam studio once a week or so. It's a 20th Anniversary stack, and I have a matching Anniversary 1x12 JCM-800 combo. It's an awesome 'family' picture ;-)

I sold most of my rack gear/pedals years ago and used an Orange Rocker 30 1x12 combo (sometimes I'd drag out a 4x12 for it) and a Vox Tonelab SE for some time, and still gig with that rig occasionally.

I've only kept my Rocktron Piranha, a couple of older pedals (a pristine early 80's Boss CE-2, a mint 70's EH Small Stone phaser, a wierd "Whirlygig" leslie pedal, my modded Dunlop Wah, and a few other 80's pedals that have seen better days but are now 'vintage' lol.

The only other tube amps I've kept is a 50's Gibson combo (nice with a mic/harmonica; it uses 6SN7 preamp tubes) and a '62 Blackface Fender Showman head...boy does THAT amp sound killer with a Strat...ahhhhh!!!

But the AFX II/MFC-101 is 'my rig' now...

Last edited:
I plan on always having at least one tube amp (whatever is my favorite at the time). Currently I have a modded JVM 410 which I do not plan on selling in the near future, it's a great sounding "simple" amp. The Axe II itself is fantastic, but it seems like many (including myself) are still experimenting with FRFR solutions, Power Amps, Cabs ...

Well haven't exactly "sold it all" but I am replacing just about all my outboard gear for my new Axe-Fx II. That includes a Yamaha DG 1000 preamp, Lexicon MPX-G2 processor, H&K Rotosphere, Yamaha Magic Stomp II and an old DMC Ground Control. The only things that survive the switch is a SoundScape Switchblade, a Roland VG99 and my amps of choice-a Mesa Boogie MkIIB and a Fender Concert. I need the Switchblade to direct I/O flow and the VG99 models a bunch of string instrument sounds that let me travel lighter sometimes. What killed this setup was a shortage of user presets, only 50 in the Lexicon which handled most of the effects and eq chores. I'm busy now learning the workings of my new baby and I'm waiting patiently for the word that my MFC-101 is ready for purchase.

I'm still trying to "sell it all" for an Axe FX II ... My 2 channel triple rectifier is for sale in the classifieds forum ;)

Back
Top Bottom