Who has gone FRFR and prefers the sound?

I hesitate to say that I prefer the sound of FRFR, but I do appreciate its benefits: predictable and consistent sound on stage and out front, easy ability to have a stereo rig (I have 2 x CLRs), and probably "better" tones than I was getting with my traditional amps, but with a different feel of course. Not to say that from time to time I don't miss a bit of 4x12-induced, trouser-flapping but, for the time being, I'm sticking with FRFR.

I do. And my audience does. It's clearer, more precise. I can hear what I'm doing much more clearly. But I am also more of an 'electronic guitarist' than a high-gain type. Seems that a many of the high gain guys don't gravitate to FRFR, though there are plenty of exceptions to that too!

Often run direct to FOH and then thru monitors for stage volume. Quality of the monitors obviously matters. Also have used Bose system a bunch. Prefer a real PA though. Don't miss not having an amp. Find you get a lot more control over sound in the room/to the audience this way.....

I've been mainly direct since the 90's. I'm use to the technic's involved. Been thru a lot of evolutions from a rockman xpr rack mount pre, Marshall jmp1, rocktron prophesy, vox tonelab to name a few. All frfr setups. 2+ years now with the axe. Don't miss an actual guitar amp. Still love when I have an opportunity to use a great amp but (never say never) I don't plan on changing back. I love the axe direct to frfr. Especially when I get to hear it thru an awesome FOH system - sounds much better than a mic'd amp (IMO). Gotta use what inspires you, if you're digging it - rock on and don't worry about what you're using....make music !

This
thumbsup.gif

I gotta think the Matrix FR212 would give you the best of both worlds. Move lotsa air, but still be FRFR. I'm a hair away from ordering one of those - my concerns are the heavy shipping charge and the lack of local (US-based) service. If the thing goes tits-up for some reason, I'm looking at a $300+ round trip to get it worked on, even if it's under warranty.

I just had my first jam session with the AXE FX II with FW 14 and 100% The Amp Factory and Ownhammer UltraRes IRs into a pair of FRFR CLR NEOs.

From my perspective (i.e., sitting directly in front of a pair of FRFR speakers in wedge position pointing at me only) it sounded very satisfying.

Bonus - everyone else in the room commented that they had no problems hearing me do to the wide dispersion and clarity of the CLRs.

Very happy with my FRFR solution right now primarily because of the new UltraRes technology. It really adds clarity that cuts through the mix!

The challenge (for me) is finding the time to audition all of the IRs.

JUST A THOUGHT: It would be great if AXE EDIT had the ability to let the user specify a time interval - say 2 to 10 seconds - to automatically audition the user cabs (U001 for 2 seconds, U002 for 2 seconds, ...) so the user could adjust their playing in real time to the inspiration obtained from hearing the next UltraRes IR loaded into the user cab memory. Think of the car radio "scan" function that auditions stations for a few seconds before moving on and if you want it to stop on a station you just hit the scan button. If you want it to start scanning again, just hit the button again.

IMHO - that would make auditioning hundreds of cabs per preset a lot quicker I think. And I intend to constantly audition new IRs as I find them ... cause you just never know when a better match is going to come along! :)

i don't think it's a question of what sounds better. for me its a matter of consistency across all mediums, whether it be from my cld, to other wedges on the stage to foh. there's no need to discuss guitar players' perception of their tone compared to what it usually actually is, i just prefer to know that what i dial in at home is what my audience is hearing foh....instead of decapitating them in the cone of death with a real cab and thinking it sounds great while it hits the back of my legs.

the flexibility of using various it's is also a huge plus, if you do different types of music. some guys that only need a mesa cab with v30's might not care about that....i need that flexibility.

The challenge (for me) is finding the time to audition all of the IRs.

JUST A THOUGHT: It would be great if AXE EDIT had the ability to let the user specify a time interval - say 2 to 10 seconds - to automatically audition the user cabs (U001 for 2 seconds, U002 for 2 seconds, ...) so the user could adjust their playing in real time to the inspiration obtained from hearing the next UltraRes IR loaded into the user cab memory. Think of the car radio "scan" function that auditions stations for a few seconds before moving on and if you want it to stop on a station you just hit the scan button. If you want it to start scanning again, just hit the button again.

IMHO - that would make auditioning hundreds of cabs per preset a lot quicker I think. And I intend to constantly audition new IRs as I find them ... cause you just never know when a better match is going to come along! :)

Check out the features of this: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...fxsend-tiny-tool-auditioning-irs-presets.html

Last edited:
Thanks Barh Records! :)

Good to know about Al's program - unfortunately for me - Al's program does not have the same functionality as I am suggesting above (auto-scan audition functionality like in a car radio) and Al's program will not available for mac in the foreseeable future. :-|

I used Al's tool the other day.....looped a riff using the Axe's built in looper, used Al's tool to quickly audition every UltraRes file I could find. Took me about 3-5 seconds to audition each cab, depending on how much I wanted to hear.
Awesome tool!

Regarding OP:

Prefer FRFR.
After using it for so long, I find that when I go back to cabs, the beaming annoys me.

I could never get the Axe to sound right going through the Matrix GT1000FX into a standard speaker cab. I had to tweak the heck out of the EQ to get a decent sound. My FRFR (CLRs) and v14 is just killing it. I've started using this setup in a live band setting and I'm just blown away by the quality of the tones I'm getting. The clean tones in v14 are stunning, and I'm using the Triaxis Yellow and Badger amp models for most of my lead tones. The turning point for me was playing with the band and not thinking...hey I'm playing a modeler, it was just great tone. The only tone I haven't been able to dial in with FRFR yet is dirty clean, right on the edge of break up. A natural pushed clean tone has been a challenge for me. The frustrating part is I can get that tone in about 2 seconds with a real amp. lol

I could never get the Axe to sound right going through the Matrix GT1000FX into a standard speaker cab. I had to tweak the heck out of the EQ to get a decent sound. My FRFR (CLRs) and v14 is just killing it. I've started using this setup in a live band setting and I'm just blown away by the quality of the tones I'm getting. The clean tones in v14 are stunning, and I'm using the Triaxis Yellow and Badger amp models for most of my lead tones. The turning point for me was playing with the band and not thinking...hey I'm playing a modeler, it was just great tone. The only tone I haven't been able to dial in with FRFR yet is dirty clean, right on the edge of break up. A natural pushed clean tone has been a challenge for me. The frustrating part is I can get that tone in about 2 seconds with a real amp. lol

We should tackle this as a community.

I am right here - where Mr. Strat is - in terms of wants and needs.

We are almost there Fractalites!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have, and the audience prefers the sound.

The audience has always been my number one priority and the AxeFx is the best tool I've ever used to consistently deliver the goods to the people who really matter.

The audience has always been my number one priority and the AxeFx is the best tool I've ever used to consistently deliver the goods to the people who really matter.

That's really where the rubber meets the road.

Thanks Barh Records! :)

Good to know about Al's program - unfortunately for me - Al's program does not have the same functionality as I am suggesting above (auto-scan audition functionality like in a car radio) and Al's program will not be available for mac in the foreseeable future. :-|

It does auto-send: "0.6beta : Automatic send of presets/irs. Available only when drag&droping a folder on AxeFXSend's window. Then you can choose to send another preset/ir every 5/10/15... second."

Back
Top Bottom