Who had the dumb idea of making 12" speakers the standard for guitar?

Piing

Axe-Master
I have loaded the Ownhammer OH 410 BOG into the Cygnus Machine, and... WOW!

I've been playing guitar almost exclusively with FRFR speakers since 1995 (started with the Roland VG8), and now the 4x10 IR instantly gives me the tone I've always been searching for, without any extra tweaking effort. Just couple a Friedman with a 4x10, and it rocks!

The mids shine naturally, and the lower frequencies are not intrusive. No need to add dramatic Lo-Cut that removes body from the tone

What other 4x10 IR collections are available there?

I have loaded the Ownhammer OH 410 BOG into the Cygnus Machine, and... WOW!

I've been playing guitar almost exclusively with FRFR speakers since 1995 (started with the Roland VG8), and now the 4x10 IR instantly gives me the tone I've always been searching for, without any extra tweaking effort. Just couple a Friedman with a 4x10, and it rocks!

The mids shine naturally, and the lower frequencies are not intrusive. No need to add dramatic Lo-Cut that removes body from the tone

What other 4x10 IR collections are available there?
I have the OH Bogner 4x10 set also. Which speaker type did you use? I bought the pack for the Weber Blue Pups, as I am a fan of their speakers and knew Ted Weber fron the early '90s.

I have the OH Bogner 4x10 set also. Which speaker type did you use? I bought the pack for the Weber Blue Pups, as I am a fan of their speakers and knew Ted Weber fron the early '90s.

I still haven't digged too much into the collection, but so far I am happy with the OH 410 BOG BLUE 121-M+ mixed with OH410 BOG BLUE ROOM-M+ at -26 dB

After a quick listen with CAB Manage, these are the ones that I highlighted as favorite and loaded into the Axe-FX:

OH 410 selection.png

Maybe it was ear fatigue, but when I arrived to the SUN and the SUN+BLU, I did not found them as interesting as the BLU+SUN and the BLU

From a sound tech point of view, I generally prefer to mix on larger cabs/speakers. Can always take away, but very hard to add I back if it’s not there.
Diifferent feeling as a guitarist. I almost always had/have different size speakers in my cabs. Two 12s and Two 10s for example. Move air with the larger speakers and have better responsiveness with the smaller ones. Best of both worlds so to speak. Since moving more and more to FRFR, it’s a bit less important, I guess.

I've been recording with small speakers, 10's and 8's, since the 70's. I find they have better, narrower, focus, and sit in the mixes (for my bands) better than 12's.

It's all subjective.

Cheers,
Bob.

When I lived and played in Germany I had a Marshall JCM800 2210 I played thru a Marshall 4x10 and it sounded oustanding.

i don’t remember exactly what happened but I was supposed to get a 4x12 but something happened and they showed up with a 4x10. At first I was really pissed but then I started playing thru it and loved it within the first five minutes.

Thanks guys. I was talking about 2x10 IRs. Agreed the real-world version sounds great, yet so few solid IRs. Wish there were more.

My Fender Prosonic combo had 2- 10 inch speakers. Thought it was very punchy with a few pounds less to carry vs 12's

I have a fantastic Weber 2x10 cab with Alnico 10Vs.

I have a Dr. Z Maz Jr NR combo that doesn't get much love anymore, but it sounds terrific and fills a room.
If someone is looking for a quality stand-alone cab: http://drzamps.com/product/2x10/

Love me some 10" speakers. One of the best cabs I ever heard in person was a cab with a 12" and 10" speaker. IIRC, it was a G12H30 and a 10" Gold.

I have preferred 10” speakers for guitar for 30 years now. Oddly since taking the axe plunge, I use two frfr cabs, a Mesa 4x12, and a Randall 2x12 1x15 cab, no tens in sight. Gonna have to rectify that.

Two that I own are York Audio's Bassman 4x10, and OwnHammers Super Reverb 4x10. They're pretty similar to each other, tonally speaking. OwnHammer shot the cab with both ceramics and alnicos, and includes blends of the two... York has great default mixes.

I dunno who decided that besides all the people buying them :) LOL

I like a nice 10" speaker myself. When I needed powered FRFR for my rig that's what I chose and couldn't be happier.

But for IRs, I usually go with a 412 but perhaps I should try some of the 10" IRs I have too :)

I always preferred 10's. Years ago (late 70's?) I had a Sunn Beta Lead combo w/4x10's. Later on I got a Peavey 4x10 that was in it's on road case. Just snap the lid off the front and go. Then a newer/reissue tweed Bassman w/4x10's and so on. When Rockman came out with the XPR that was it. I've been going direct ever since

My Fender Prosonic combo had 2- 10 inch speakers. Thought it was very punchy with a few pounds less to carry vs 12's
I use some IRs from this amp which I bought from David Hislop (just google him if you're interested). I mix them with 12s for a little more girth. But they have a nice high end.

Back
Top Bottom