Who had the dumb idea of making 12" speakers the standard for guitar?

I don't know about any guitarist who likes 12" over 10"(....lol, or any girls for that matter.... Hahaha actually, 7-8" seems to be what women prefer the most,) but for the purposes of this thread, Ill throw my vote for the same 10", whether its 1x10, 2x 10, or 4x10", I am a +1 on the 10" over 12" speaker

I have a weirdo Rivera 4x10 cabinet with ports on the front that I picked up from them on clearance for chump change years ago. I play mostly hard rock and some metal with sparkly clean bits. That cab sounds really good! It's very punchy and nicely trims out the bottom end that's usually wasted when you're playing loud with a rock band.

I have loaded the Ownhammer OH 410 BOG into the Cygnus Machine, and... WOW!

I've been playing guitar almost exclusively with FRFR speakers since 1995 (started with the Roland VG8), and now the 4x10 IR instantly gives me the tone I've always been searching for, without any extra tweaking effort. Just couple a Friedman with a 4x10, and it rocks!

The mids shine naturally, and the lower frequencies are not intrusive. No need to add dramatic Lo-Cut that removes body from the tone

What other 4x10 IR collections are available there?

So, I picked up the OH 410 BOG pack over the weekend and will give it some playing time this week.

I have a rather extensive IR collection (over 100GB) and went thru all of my commercial stuff and found no other 10" speakers. There are a couple of free collections posted on here - the 7 Deadly Sins Pack and the Great Impulses Set that have some 10" IR's in there. I haven't tried them. yet, so can't really comment on them.

So, I picked up the OH 410 BOG pack over the weekend and will give it some playing time this week.

I have a rather extensive IR collection (over 100GB) and went thru all of my commercial stuff and found no other 10" speakers. There are a couple of free collections posted on here - the 7 Deadly Sins Pack and the Great Impulses Set that have some 10" IR's in there. I haven't tried them. yet, so can't really comment on them.
York Audio BMAN 410 has some good stuff!

If that is the one with SUNN and Weber Blue Pup speakers, I use that one a lot.

Thanks guys. I was talking about 2x10 IRs. Agreed the real-world version sounds great, yet so few solid IRs. Wish there were more.
David Hislop makes 2x10 ir of his fender prosonic amp. They are g12 speakers. They sound really good. If york audio or ownhammer makes some 2x10 then you would like those.

And 2x10 cabs...
IIRC, there are very few out there and not much effort put into them, even though they were definitely part of the musical landscape.
Celestion also has a few different 10" IR speaker types that can be purchased in 2x10 closed or open cabinet. I've used celestion with mostly good results.

David Hislop makes 2x10 ir of his fender prosonic amp. They are g12 speakers. They sound really good. If york audio or ownhammer makes some 2x10 then you would like those.
Agreed. I use Hislop's 2x10 and green back IRs. I wish Fractal would model a Prosonic...

Back
Top Bottom