Who else is upgrading to Axe-FX III TURBO? :-)

I put some gear up on Reverb to get the funds together. I'm RMA'ing it in the morning to make the deadline.

Judging by the presets I have been experimenting with, I am going to want the extra CPU. FullRES IRs just aren't optional for me. I have heard them and can't un-hear them. Might as well not fight it. I am just going to be uber-bummed while it is away. I doubt I will touch a guitar until the Turbo is in the rack and loaded up. 😢

Just got my mkII a week ago and Its used only for recording and writing, so Its just fine the way It Is, sounds so good and running smooth as silk.

Look at line 6, who have stuck with the helix design for seven years now. that machine is long in the tooth, but at least the users have a mostly unified product, and haven’t had to deal with upgrading every year.
Helix users haven't dealt with upgrading every year because there isn't an upgrade. With the Axe-Fx, there is. For Axe-Fx users who don't want to upgrade, it's simple. Don't. Personally, I'm pretty content with the MKI. In my case, the upgrades wouldn't allow me to do anything I need to do that I currently can't. In my opinion, FullRes IR's are awesome. With the MKI, I can still use them, and I don't have a problem dragging and dropping them to a scratchpad as needed. Sure, I'd love to be able to store them in the unit(and I hope this becomes possible), but it's not a deal-breaker.

Last edited:
I just jumped in today after selling my MK I over the weekend. But, If I had a MK II already I wouldn't have moved a muscle and waited for a bigger shift in the hardware. Can't wait to checkout the TURBO in the next few days! 🤪🤪🤪

My non turbo delivered the day the turbo was announced.
So I "upgraded" after using just a few hours, received the turbo Saturday.
RMA'ed just because $200+shipping wasn't much of a price to pay relative to total cost.

I don't have a feel for the architecture with respect to what drives CPU(I haven't looked at FullRes IR's yet)
It doesn't matter that much to me at this point, but there isn't a world of difference in CPU for the blues lawyer presets.
Maybe the 17.00 additional CPU consumption will be optimized, and widen that gap
This might not be apples to apples, just captured a few datapoints for fun.

# preset name mkII(16.04) vs mkII turbo(17.00) 0 59 bassguy 50% 42% 1 65 bassguy 57% 49% 3 deluxe verb 50% 43% 4 double verb 57% 51% 5 A-Class 50% 40% 6 top boost 62% 51% 7 prince tone 53% 42% 8 plexi 50W 58% 47% 10 drit 800 60% 51% 331 mr.FLoyd 41% 35%

Been thinking about a modern processor for a few years now. Had a Pod XT many years ago and was not impressed.

MK III Turbo, FC-6, EV-1 is on a UPS truck heading to me for Friday delivery. Crossing fingers UPS won't blow it. I have no doubt this will be the greatest guitar purchase of all time, I feel very fortunate and excited, kinda like Christmas.

My non turbo delivered the day the turbo was announced.
So I "upgraded" after using just a few hours, received the turbo Saturday.
RMA'ed just because $200+shipping wasn't much of a price to pay relative to total cost.

I don't have a feel for the architecture with respect to what drives CPU(I haven't looked at FullRes IR's yet)
It doesn't matter that much to me at this point, but there isn't a world of difference in CPU for the blues lawyer presets.
Maybe the 17.00 additional CPU consumption will be optimized, and widen that gap
This might not be apples to apples, just captured a few datapoints for fun.

# preset name mkII(16.04) vs mkII turbo(17.00) 0 59 bassguy 50% 42% 1 65 bassguy 57% 49% 3 deluxe verb 50% 43% 4 double verb 57% 51% 5 A-Class 50% 40% 6 top boost 62% 51% 7 prince tone 53% 42% 8 plexi 50W 58% 47% 10 drit 800 60% 51% 331 mr.FLoyd 41% 35%
Thanks for those data points, sounds about right, though they seems to show a little less than the advertised 25% DSP increase, e.g.

# preset name mkII(16.04) vs mkII turbo(17.00) 0 59 bassguy 50% 50/125=40% vs 42% 1 65 bassguy 57% 57/125=46% vs 49% 3 deluxe verb 50% 50/125=40% vs 43% 4 double verb 57% 57/125=46% vs 51% 5 A-Class 50% 50/125=40% vs 40% 6 top boost 62% 62/125=50% vs 51% 7 prince tone 53% 53/125=42% vs 42% 8 plexi 50W 58% 58/125=46% vs 47% 10 drit 800 60% 60/125=48% vs 51% 331 mr.FLoyd 41% 41/125=33% vs 35%

Last edited:
Thanks for those data points, sounds about right, though they seems to show a little less than the advertised 25% DSP increase, e.g.
No one from FAS said the 25% increase in processing power would be reflected in a 25% decrease in CPU usage. There were several posts showing the math and showing what the new CPU 'should' be, but there was never any evidence to support the claim. Without knowing how the Axe processes information, there's really no way to know how any increase in processing power is going to affect actual CPU usage in a signal chain.

No one from FAS said the 25% increase in processing power would be reflected in a 25% decrease in CPU usage. There were several posts showing the math and showing what the new CPU 'should' be, but there was never any evidence to support the claim. Without knowing how the Axe processes information, there's really no way to know how any increase in processing power is going to affect actual CPU usage in a signal chain.
Did I or anyone say we expect 25% CPU usage decrease....? Dude, do you even Math? :p

In fact, the data/calculation above shows that it's actually not far away from the 25% advertised benchmark score increase.

I’m staying where I am with the MKII. While the FullRes might sound awesome but take up to much CPU for complex presets... I don’t really make many complex presets and scenes nor HAVE to have FullRes. The III sounds ridiculously good with the huge amount of IR’s and a dash of reverb (to me).
FAS will continue to move forward... just like iPhones. BUT... amazing sound is... amazing sound. Just because a new ‘thing’ comes out doesn’t mean your ‘old thing’ is now dated crap. Guitar freaks who are fortunate to have a 60-70 yr old Gibson or Fender, or a magical tube amp, are quite happy with their old gear... and wouldn’t think of using anything else. Just ask Joe Bonamassa.
Whatever makes you happy. You don’t NEED it... you WANT it. Big difference. We get spoiled (I’m guilty... I have the Ultra, IIXL+, and the III MKII)
Of course being a tone junkie I want the best, so I got it. But, I’ll stay where I am... plenty here to craft fantastic tones for a lifetime. Besides... there’ll be years of updates to come I would think... the III isn’t 8 years old (for example) and it was designed for future improvements (like the other models). YMMV

# preset name mkII(16.04) vs mkII turbo(17.00) 0 59 bassguy 50% 50/125=40% vs 42% 1 65 bassguy 57% 57/125=46% vs 49% 3 deluxe verb 50% 50/125=40% vs 43% 4 double verb 57% 57/125=46% vs 51% 5 A-Class 50% 50/125=40% vs 40% 6 top boost 62% 62/125=50% vs 51% 7 prince tone 53% 53/125=42% vs 42% 8 plexi 50W 58% 58/125=46% vs 47% 10 drit 800 60% 60/125=48% vs 51% 331 mr.FLoyd 41% 41/125=33% vs 35%
okay makes sense so about 15 -20% cpu usage decrease, on the presets, Absolutely no biggie anyway whatsoever, unless your presets are all above 80-85%.

Would be interesting to see on higher usage as well.

another thing is, presets keep going up down in cpu usage even when idle, so for one second it gonna show you 50% after some seconds it may show 53/54% . We donot know if the lowest values for both were taken. but the figures on an average seem about right. Good comparison and calculation 👍

Mk I here.
I was tempted to buy Mk II when fullres was launched and then the turbo edition was released with a new waiting list in europe. I have decided to wait for IV because the market value of MK I dropped too much and fractal still supports Mk I in firmware updates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom