Who else is upgrading to Axe-FX III TURBO? :-)

I'm not. If I ever need more power I just hook my FM3 up to my AxeFX 3 :p

I'm using a Mk1. The current solution for the FullRes IRs is good enough for me. I only want the FullRes IRs when I play at my desk with headphones and that happens not that often, at least currently.
I'll wait for the next generation, although I don't know how the modelling can get any better at this point.

Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, But those posting with mix ups with their orders have me concerned? Guess we'll see if I'm included the "Pot Luck" surprise party! 📦🎉🤡🎉

I'll wait for Axe4 but I like Fractal's strategy of continually cranking the horsepower in their modellers to facilitate pushing that envelope in their fw development. Other brands seem to choose a processor and milk every drop out of it long past the "best before" timeframe - maybe that maximizes profits - who knows - but for a developer, not having to worry so much about hardware speed restrictions allows for more focus on pure functionality. In my own previous areas of IT expertise (HR/FInance), similar strategies have been common for years with new software development often "anticipating" an increase in hardware speed.

Getting one. Was going to wait for the 4 but the emergence of the full res IR's has me intrigued. Plus the extra horsepower gives me a little extra insurance for future epiphanies. Lastly, who knows if I'll be in a situation where I can't buy the 4?

Kudos to the Fractal team - awesome product and great customer service to match! They sent over a return label and shipped out a new turbo model this afternoon - should be arriving tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Thanks all for the help confirming the mixup - can't wait to give the turbo a go this weekend

My work involves some DSP programming. So I use software packages that have similar graphical interface structures to the Axe FX. In my experience, these programs carry a lot of overhead. A basic signal layout might take up 70% of the CPU. However, I can fit a large number of processing modules within that remaining 30%. Individual modules require much less processing power than the base program itself.

Could this be true for the Axe FX as well? What do people mean by "complex" presets? Just because the CPU usage is at say 90%, does this mean that you're actually close to exhausting the unit's horsepower?

I just don't have a feel for any of this.

My work involves some DSP programming. So I use software packages that have similar graphical interface structures to the Axe FX. In my experience, these programs carry a lot of overhead. A basic signal layout might take up 70% of the CPU. However, I can fit a large number of processing modules within that remaining 30%. Individual modules require much less processing power than the base program itself.

Could this be true for the Axe FX as well? What do people mean by "complex" presets? Just because the CPU usage is is at say 90%, does this mean that you're actually close to exhausting the unit's horsepower?

I just don't have a feel for any of this.
Conventional wisdom, what I've heard anyway, is to keep presets at 80% or less, to avoid problems, which may not manifest immediately, or in a particular scene or set of enabled blocks and channels.

So I bought an Axe-FX III mk II almost a year ago, so I’m just stuck with that right? And the only way to get a turbo is to buy one for $2500? It says it’s an “option” on the store but it’s not something I can just buy for $200 for my AFX3 mk II and install, right? It’s just straight up a different model?

That’s one of the only things I don’t like about modelers/all this guitar technology. It’s one thing with NI guitar rig and stuff that’s good but so cheap like that where the inevitable upgrades are negligible, but a very expensive hardware based best in class one like the AFX3 that’s the same price as a really good tube amp that stays a really good tube amp for as long as it works and doesn’t feel obsolete in a short time frame when there’s some no brainer upgrade to the modeler you paid like $2200 only a year ago, that kind of stings. And yes I know I don’t “need” the latest and greatest and my AFX3 is still good and everything, it’s just for that kind of price can’t help feeling like of course you wish you waited or something, and the mk II was brand new when I got it even. I know it’s just the nature of technology but like I said it’s just the one aspect I don’t like vs. physical amps (well that plus the amp in the room sound).

Back
Top Bottom