Who doesn't upgrade firmware and is happy with old (vintage :-) ) one ?

stefherbuel

Inspired
i'm addicted to firmware 15.07, not the one before, not the one after, this one is perfect -for me -
i try new firmware but always going back to this one
just wanted to know if anybody else use old firmware ? Just curious :)

I always go for the new firmware. There has only been 1 time I thought about going back & that was a long time ago. (firmware 6.x I believe. Not Q 6.x :) I have thought about going back as far as I can on an XL just for grins to see how it compares. Bottom line, whatever sounds good to you is what you should use.

absolutly !
BTW on Xl you can go to fw13 or 14 i think
there's something on g2 technology in fw15 that inspire me a lot.just curious if anyone else "stopped" at one particular
firmware

Depends. Can't really answer that until <insert next/future firmware version here> is released.

I'm currently on 6.0.3 and have no reason to go back to anything prior. I'll try 7.0.x when it releases and will decide then if it's right for me or not.

i'm addicted to firmware 15.07, not the one before, not the one after, this one is perfect -for me -

I'm on pre-Quantum. I have too many presets that I use regularly and have done too many updates where I've spent hours just getting back to a tone I was already completely satisfied with. Unless there's some new must-have functionality, I may never upgrade my II's again. Too much wear and tear on the ears.

I once joked that 30 years from now collectors will pay a premium for firmware 10.00. There was lotsa hoopla surrounding that one - and it was good. Anyway, to each his own. I'm playing more and twiddling knobs less now that I've stopped chasing the next FW update. No complaints on my tone either. The nice thing about a mature firmware is you know all the idiosyncrasies. I guess that's why I post very little in the forum....

If it works for you, then stick with it. The drives have improved tremendously lately, so you're missing out on some stuff, but if you are satisfied. Then stay put. For me guitar tone is a constant and unending quest. I sometimes go backwards in order to move forward. I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be a better guitarist if I would have stayed with my first Strat and Bandmaster I had way back when?!?! I enjoy the chase though!! Punny that eh cliff ?!!?!

Depends. Can't really answer that until <insert next/future firmware version here> is released.

I'm currently on 6.0.3 and have no reason to go back to anything prior. I'll try 7.0.x when it releases and will decide then if it's right for me or not.

A lot of wisdom in the "if it sounds good, it IS good" saying.

I loved 17.2 but I can never resist the new features so I'm on the 7 beta currently. For a while back then it was hard to move forward after getting all my presets the way I like them but I pretty much always use the newest now.

I always use the latest but sometimes I feel like I'm trying to convince myself that it's better because the guy who created the Axe Fx said so. I put a lot of faith in Cliff's words - I have no doubt that everything he does moves the Axe closer and closer to what's indistingushable from the original. But it's not necessarily better from one person's perception to another.

I don't do a lot of the beta's unless it' includes something I really want to try like anew amp etc. I think I.m plan ol' Q6 now. Didn't do the 6.02 and so on.

BTW the difference between g2/g3 is not "huge"

the bad thing with old firmware is that you don't benefit as other "improvments" (i would like to have new wah with old firmware)
the good thing is that you consider it as a "finish" product, no new parameters etc.
BTW thanks to all for you answers , it's really interesting

I loved 17.2 but I can never resist the new features so I'm on the 7 beta currently. For a while back then it was hard to move forward after getting all my presets the way I like them but I pretty much always use the newest now.

Yes 17 was when things really started to sound great to my ears. Getting back to the thread I always upgrade but wasn't happy every time.

My ears never seem to hear things the same way from day to day and I usually don not react/ tweak accordingly. So when things really do change, I don't react too much then either and I do implement all the updates.

FW 15?!

You're in for a whole new headtrip on Cliff's sonic-heroin dream drug called Quantum when you're ready ;)

However, I understand committing to something that sounds great to your ears. Kudos to you for committing that long to a FW that is beautimus to da eardrums.

BTW the difference between g2/g3 is not "huge"

the bad thing with old firmware is that you don't benefit as other "improvments" (i would like to have new wah with old firmware)
the good thing is that you consider it as a "finish" product, no new parameters etc.
BTW thanks to all for you answers , it's really interesting

Improvements on different things... djent tone is not something someone can determine the subtleties of firmware's, and striving towards perfectly modeling a tube.

Back
Top Bottom