who converted from tubes to the axe ?

nextfoolmartyr said:
jarrett said:
I'm a convert. Here's what I was playing before:

http://www.plaidfaction.com/gearstuff.html

Axe-FX replaced it all for me.

I'm still a newb at only 3 months in. My only regret was not buying an Ultra to begin with. Now I have a Standard and an Ultra that will be here on Thursday :)

Hey Jarrett,

I'm in the consideration mode for what to rack up and I'm leaning towards a 4 space bag like you've got.

How is that holding up?

Is it Gator or does someone else make one as well?

Thanks!

Looks like the gator. I'm very happy with my 4U one, and I just bought a 2 U one since I sold the racktuner and now only use my ULTRA. The bag is sturdy and keeps out water (I live in Bergen, Norway....it rains here). I'm sure you can't pour buckets over it but I've had it out in the rain while walking to gigs. No prob. It also has plenty room for cabling on the back.

nextfoolmartyr said:
I'm in the consideration mode for what to rack up and I'm leaning towards a 4 space bag like you've got. How is that holding up? Is it Gator or does someone else make one as well?

I've got this one:

http://www.music123.com/Gator-GRB-Rack- ... 1.Music123

Its holding up well so far at 3 months and 13 gigs. I be diggin it.

If I go FRFR/powered, I might go to a 2 space bag and that cool monitor bag you showed me. Thanks again for that.

I just sold my Randall MTS series RM100 and most of the modules i had, that was my main setup witn a Rocktron Xpression (that i sold too). I still own a Mesa Stiletto Deuce and a Fender Bandmaster 1963 though but i don't use them, i may sell them also.

I don't miss that setup at all.

Claude

wow..you guys have let go of some killer gear infavor of the axe...that might be a deal breaker for me.. thanks.. :D

I left a Zinky Superfly and a Eggy MOD50 behind.

Loved them, just never used them any longer. Money better spent on GUITARS!

Why does it always have to be a one or the other proposition? I didn't "convert"............I use certain tube amps when appropriate, I use the AxeFx when appropriate. I love the AxeFx, it sounds great, I've used it for my amp sounds live and on recordings...........but it's not the only piece of equipment left in the world.

You don't have to give up everything else to use an AxeFx (although you can, the AxeFx is capable of being an all in one rig), you can continue to use other gear.

p

I'm a convert too!!!!

Cornford mk50,Marshall jubilee,Fender twin reverb,The valve 3/100,Diezel vh4,marshall jmp1,vht 2/90/2,bogner xtc,vibroverb,kotch ......and more...more.......all gone..... :shock: .....

Money better spent on guitars?????¿¿¿¿¿¿????YEEEEEEAH! :mrgreen:

danielodland said:
just bought a 2 U one since I sold the racktuner and now only use my ULTRA.

I understand the tuner on the Ultra sort of hard to read.

I was considering getting one of those Korg rackmount tuners and some sort of power supply...

Why did you dump the tuner?

Do you find interference issues with power without any sort of power conditioner?

nextfoolmartyr said:
Perhaps you should wait until you can see for yourself before making any decisions. Just a thought.... I have no difficulty at all reading the Axe-Fx tuner. YMMV.

Peter Hundley said:
Why does it always have to be a one or the other proposition? I didn't "convert"............I use certain tube amps when appropriate, I use the AxeFx when appropriate. I love the AxeFx, it sounds great, I've used it for my amp sounds live and on recordings...........but it's not the only piece of equipment left in the world.

You don't have to give up everything else to use an AxeFx (although you can, the AxeFx is capable of being an all in one rig), you can continue to use other gear.

p

What he said...Going on almost 2 years and loving the Axe-Fx more than ever. Played my Marshall yesterday, because that's what I needed/wanted, and it was heaven. My Boogie and Fender get used when needed and I love them too.

It's a spectrum of choice, taste, tools and uses. Be open minded and don't apply unnecessary constraints ;)

I've had mine for a little over a week now. I have a Vox AC30 with Alnico blues. Naturally, I thought it was irreplaceable. The truth for me was that, just like others report, the Axe-FX sounded ungood out of the box, but with a solid day of tweaking I got (a) first the tone and (b) then the dynamics. I have all the tube-iness I used to. That's a fact, plus I can record now at all hours. The only thing I don't have now is that sensation of hearing myself play in the room. Gotta abstract yourself away from the room one step. Truth is, when recording, earphones are part of the equation no matter how you cut it, unless it's a band playing live I guess. And even then.

Peter Hundley said:
Why does it always have to be a one or the other proposition?

It doesn't. You don't have to sell all your other gear to be a "true" AFX user or anything silly like that. But a lot of people have, and as you see, that's in fact the dealbreaker for some. It says a lot about the unit when serious analogfreaks and tubepeople in fact converts and ONLY uses the AFX for their sound. That doesnt mean using tube amps is a bad thing...if you prefer tubes for certain situations, you should stick to that.

nextfoolmartyr said:
danielodland said:
just bought a 2 U one since I sold the racktuner and now only use my ULTRA.

I was considering getting one of those Korg rackmount tuners and some sort of power supply...

Why did you dump the tuner?

Do you find interference issues with power without any sort of power conditioner?

I dumped the tuner because the AFX is more accurate. I had the Korg DTR 1000 (I think thats what it's called). I kept my tuner originally when getting the AFX cause I thought the display would be hard to read on a distance. And I think it still is actually, but after a few gigs with the AFX I decided that it really wasnt a problem just walking up to the AFX and looking at the tuner. Also, when the floor controller comes, I won't even have to turn away from the audience to tune.

As for interference, I didn't have that problem with my Adam Hall power supply. I sold that to slim down my rack (since it now only contains the AFX) and am still not having that kind of trouble. That said, I live in Norway, Europe. We generally have good power everywhere. Never had any power trouble. Will probably get a Furman or something if touring to US though...=)

My live sound rig is xlr outs to FOH, unbal outs to effects return of 2 Tech 21 trademark 60 amps If I need to use amps.
I always have 2 JBL eon 2 monitors with me just in case the house monitors are crap. 98% of the time direct to FOH, no amps.
I play between 250-300 dates a year and the Axe-Fx kicks A#%$#.

Back
Top Bottom