Who can capture my Celestion Sidewinders?

BBW

Hi All,

Is there anyone who can capture my Celestion Sidewinder S12-150 speakers?

I've been using my AXE FX-II for 3 years now and loving it; after years of not picking up my guitar I'm finally playing again (using headphones) and started playing in a band again.

But although there are an enormous amount of IR's available there are none (that I could find) from my 'old' Celestion S12-150's. This is of course not that surprising since they are not very popular due to the fact that they supposedly sound terrible.

Still... I want to know how the Sidewinders would sound using the Axe FX. And having IR of the Sidewinders would be a reason to finally get rid of the ugly DIY cabinets where they reside in and make some room for an active FRFR speaker :)

So, my question again: would any of the IR creators here be interested in capturing my set of speakers?
They are located in the Europe, The Netherlands. I'll send the speakers for free (including shipping) for you to keep (or sell) if you promise to send me the IRs.

KjF4iin.jpg

Hi All,

Is there anyone who can capture my Celestion Sidewinder S12-150 speakers?

I've been using my AXE FX-II for 3 years now and loving it; after years of not picking up my guitar I'm finally playing again (using headphones) and started playing in a band again.

But although there are an enormous amount of IR's available there are none (that I could find) from my 'old' Celestion S12-150's. This is of course not that surprising since they are not very popular due to the fact that they supposedly sound terrible.

Still... I want to know how the Sidewinders would sound using the Axe FX. And having IR of the Sidewinders would be a reason to finally get rid of the ugly DIY cabinets where they reside in and make some room for an active FRFR speaker :)

So, my question again: would any of the IR creators here be interested in capturing my set of speakers?
They are located in the Europe, The Netherlands. I'll send the speakers for free (including shipping) for you to keep (or sell) if you promise to send me the IRs.

KjF4iin.jpg
I would be interested. Take a look at our website www.valhallir.at and you will find some exotic cabs. I heard good things about the sidewinders.

Hi funkstation777,

Thanks for showing interest in capturing my Celestions.
I downloaded your teaserbox this evening and had a lot of fun trying them out on a few of my presets. I must say I'm impressed (VH-TT-WG212-d-e906-A2 already replaced one of my cabs). I still am amazed how much of a difference cabinets make on the entire sound.

Me and a friend bought the speakers about 25 years ago directly from the Celestion importer in the Netherlands. Our main reason was that it had a 103db sensitivity (over the standard 97 or 98 db sensitivity of 'other' speakers) which we thought meant that they would be louder. We had of course no idea if that was true or how they would sound. From the (very few) reviews I've read the Sidewinders tend to sound harsh and loud. But for some type of Metal (or punk-rock?) they may be very useful.

But anyway, if your still interested: I can sent the 2 speakers over to Austria and you can see what you can do with them. I assume you don't wan't the crappy cabinets that I build myself when I was 20, so you would have to load them in one/some of you own cabinets.

Hi BBW,
we would love to put those sidewinders into one of our cabs to check them out and build a cab pack with them.
The only matter is time.
We are releasing a VERY big cab pack in the next 3 days and the next possibility to shoot IRs with the sidewinders will be from 25th to the 27th of May, when we attend the German Axefest in Daxweiler.
Before that, I would love to test the speakers with different cabs to be sure to get the best "place" for them when we shoot them.
So, if you have the time, I can assure you that we will do our best to shoot them with the best suiting cab with up to 15 different microphones.
I have a place in my heart for " underdogs", for example, our "Wolverine Custom" cab is one of our best selling cab packs. When Marshall/Celestion produced 2000 pcs of the WH80 speaker, it got no love from most people, because it just was mounted into the wrong "environment". We built a cab for the speakers, where they were able to shine. From Jazz to New Metal, many people around the world love the Wolverines now.
After the shooting procedure it will take about 4 to 6 weeks to get the processing done. If you can live with that, we will try to " sweeten" the waiting time with a "platinum card" from Valhallir.at, where you can spend months with some of the finest IRs available.

If that sounds ok for you, send me those fat ladies to Austria.
Some oversized cabs are waiting for the girls.

Cheers,
Andy from Valhallir.at
email: andy@valhallir.at

Andy,

The Sidewinders are in the mail. Thanks for providing me with the access to all your IRs; as soon as I have some time I'll check some of them out. I'll start with the Wolverines. It would also have been nice to see you at the German Axefest, but my german is horrible and Daxweiler is to far away for a casual visit, maybe another time.

Meanwhile I have to new problems:
1. Convince my wife that I really, really, really, absolutely need an active FRFR speaker.
2. Find out what to do with the babies in the picture below. Since I don't have any cabinets anymore, I'm not only not using them anymore, but I can't use them anymore (@Cliff: please model them so I can sell them).

Any ideas would be appreciated from anybody on the forum ;-)
dv3VM1R.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Jörgen, I would have bet, that you speak german (because of your avatar, that I know as the logo from one of the most famous german bands, called "Die Ärzte")
I'm pretty sure, that there will be a nice budget for a good FRFR-system, once you got rid of those two amp-heads. At least this is what you should tell your wife. ;-)

OK, it's finally time for an update.

I sent the Sidewinders over to Andy, but due to some mix up at the post-office, the speakers were accidentally sent to Australia instead of to Austria. After some weeks they did arrive in Australia, were sent back, then were lost, given up on and finally delivered to Andy.

Andy then built a very nice oversized cabinet, see the image below, and finally captured IRs with 9 different mics.

Beforehand I had no idea how the sidewinders would sound, since I hadn't used them over 20 years. But the IRs sound absolutely fantastic! I'm not much of an speaker guy, but Andy will tell us probable more about what make the sidewinders different. He apparently thinks the're great to because he already used them in some live shows.

So if you want to check them out yourself, they will be available soon at valhallir.at.

So thanks again to Andy (and Cliff for enabling all of this with the magic that is called AXE FX)

kPvLVZM.jpg

OK, it's finally time for an update.

I sent the Sidewinders over to Andy, but due to some mix up at the post-office, the speakers were accidentally sent to Australia instead of to Austria. After some weeks they did arrive in Australia, were sent back, then were lost, given up on and finally delivered to Andy.

Andy then built a very nice oversized cabinet, see the image below, and finally captured IRs with 9 different mics.

Beforehand I had no idea how the sidewinders would sound, since I hadn't used them over 20 years. But the IRs sound absolutely fantastic! I'm not much of an speaker guy, but Andy will tell us probable more about what make the sidewinders different. He apparently thinks the're great to because he already used them in some live shows.

So if you want to check them out yourself, they will be available soon at valhallir.at.

So thanks again to Andy (and Cliff for enabling all of this with the magic that is called AXE FX)

kPvLVZM.jpg
The Sidewinders are great speakers. I really would compare them to the Electro Voice EV12L. They got a lot of bottom end, aren't picky at all in the higher range and the mids are the Wall, that Trump would like to build (just kidding)...
We are already in the betatest-phase (I have played 3 gigs in the last 3 days by using IRs from this cab pack. Using bariton scale 7string Ibbies for my band Chaos Inside, I'm pretty sure, that the Lowtune Metal fraction will love the Sidewinders to death. They are monsters. Thank you, Jörgen!

Back
Top Bottom