Who all is running out of CPU?

If it works, then that’s awesome.

do you often make things complex at this level, like i mean regularly? Or is this a rare occurence?
I also notice, of course, you’re using dual amps, so you know, that right there is what 20%?

anyway, pretty cool, i also feel somewhat reassured that my ignorance is bliss (in that by using SUS beats my own made)basic knowledge compared to you advanced users......i wish i could build from the ground up like that but thats really complicated stuff
I am coming from an Ax8 which did not have enough CPU to do anything this complex.
So far this is the only preset I have used on the Axe FX III but I don’t foresee simplifying it very much because I like the way the gain staging works.

The complexity of this preset is required in order to get the switching between sounds the way I want. I'm using a mutually exclusive group of 4 control switches to change gain levels so that my gain stays where I put it while changing scenes. Most of the EQs in this preset are flat and just used for level control and muting signals. I could probably eliminate some filters but it would make level control a workflow nightmare. The way it is now each gain level has a level control on the performance page which makes setting up the preset super easy.
As a part-time sound guy I think this is great. Too many guitarist's levels are all over the place when they switch gains/tones/effects. Sometimes I'll throw a compressor on their channel on the board only so they don't get me when they suddenly get louder, but I don't like what it does to their dynamics and tone.

Also, I like your idea of using a volume pedal in front of parallel delays to control the amount of delay. I may try that on my Ax8. Thanks.

Man, that is a huge patch, but I totally get what you're doing with it. Looks really cool- I'm also a Pdubber, and I've made some huge patches too trying to do what you're doing here... I've come right up to about 82% on mine at the highest. Multiple delays, verbs, etc for kitchen sink patches like you've got here. I totally understand if you don't want to, but would you mind sharing the patch? And your FC-12 settings? I'm really curious to see how all your gain staging sounds.

Edit: Is In2 for an acoustic or something?

you could maybe consider staying mono before the Cab Block and keeping it stereo afterwards. you could than use a single IR which would drop down your CPU usage.
I like the stereo separation I get with two IRs. I’ve thought about doing this but I’m not sure it’s worth it.

I like the stereo separation I get with two IRs. I’ve thought about doing this but I’m not sure it’s worth it.
I use a Mimiq in the loop for stereo separation- sounds absolutely huge, and we haven't really run into any phase issues using it stereo.

Man, that is a huge patch, but I totally get what you're doing with it. Looks really cool- I'm also a Pdubber, and I've made some huge patches too trying to do what you're doing here... I've come right up to about 82% on mine at the highest. Multiple delays, verbs, etc for kitchen sink patches like you've got here. I totally understand if you don't want to, but would you mind sharing the patch? And your FC-12 settings? I'm really curious to see how all your gain staging sounds.

Edit: Is In2 for an acoustic or something?
Yah, no problem. I still need to iron out a few things before I post it but hopefully by the end of the week it will be complete.
The main thing I’m doing with the FC is having 4 mutually exclusive control switches.
In2 is just used to play my iPhone through when I’m practicing.

I'd be inclined to split 1 kitchen sink preset into two or more in your case and build them for a particular song set.

Preset one for song set one, Preset two for song set two etc. That's hardly a lot of tap dancing needed.

That would solve my CPU issue but it would introduce a spillover issue. We don’t pause between songs and seamless spillover is something this preset does well!

other than switching all reverbs to normal quality I don't see much room for optimization without sacrificing functionality

If you are using the Reverb default Echo Density setting of 8, reduce this parameter to 4 on both Reverb blocks and you will reduce CPU @ 9%. Changing from High Quality to Normal in both blocks will save @ 2% more. Doing this, I did notice a little difference in the reverb "fullness" but discovered that reducing the Size parameter between 10-15 (i.e. from 50 to 35-40) got it back.

My main 2 kitchen sink patches (one for acoustic, one for my swiss army tele) are both close to 80. I keep getting more ideas for more sounds, but I guess sooner or later I’ll have to use more than 2 presets :eek:

Attachments

• EB0E59CE-F0B9-49BE-9F8E-62DC31D1CBF4.jpeg
    EB0E59CE-F0B9-49BE-9F8E-62DC31D1CBF4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 9EC92C7E-FD12-46D5-AF29-7B1D024AA434.jpeg
    9EC92C7E-FD12-46D5-AF29-7B1D024AA434.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom