Who all is running out of CPU?

lwknives

Power User
I just got an Axe FX III and my kitchen sink preset is maxing out the CPU already! Most of the extensive CPU is caused by my need to have seamless switching and spillover between multiple delay tempo subdivisions while also having access to multiple levels of gain from my amps. I've already done most of the commonly recommended fixes to reduce CPU anything else I do will alter the sound. Next steps for my preset would be to replace the drive pedal with a PEQ, and just use one reverb with a controller to increase time, modulation and mix.

Just wondering how many people are having to make compromises to their presets in order to not push the CPU and what kind of creative ways you are overcoming the limit.

Also, I'm not complaining about lack of CPU... This preset is the best rig I have ever had, it is just a bit CPU hungry! This preset covers 90% of all the P&W songs that I need to play with pretty high accuracy so I no longer need to spend time making presets when I should be practicing!

On overloaded presets , I get the warning at around 88% but doesn’t seem to artifact or crap out until low /mid 90s...hasn’t affected my modest workflow yet.

Cut down the 4 delay blocks to 1 or 2 and use channels on them, same with reverb blocks and filter blocks, problem fixed
1. Already using channels on the delay blocks to swap between analog, mod, digital and reverse delays.
2. Spillover doesn’t work very well when switching channels.
3. Filters are for level control with my gain staging and they need to be controlled by control switches.

As Jon said; Use channels for the parallel stuff, they are your friend! I have much more in my presets than I ever used prior to the AxFx and never run much above 50%. I think sometimes you simply need to ask yourself, Do I really need all this stuff? or want it in there in case, someday?

Switching on the axe is also currently THE MOST seamless I've seen on ANY device, so feel free to create another preset if you need to, that's what they are there for.

Obviously everyone will say that if you use all the blocks in the axe that you will max out ANY CPU, that's a given....I'd just rethink the way you structure your stuff as the iii is a different beast and capable of a lot more, a lot better and a lot faster. So if this way is not working for you, rethink your approach a bit, it's not the ii or helix or anything, treat it with the respect it deserves and you will get results.

I love how you guys dig into this gear and really push it to the limit! No idea why you even create a preset like that.
This layout combined with the way I have my FC12 allows me to have 4 switches that give me 5 levels of gain that aren’t effected when I switch scenes. Scenes are used to select different subdivisions and mix levels of the delays. This gives me access to a huge variety of gain and delay combinations with Very minimal tap dancing.

I use to obsess over nailing every aspect of every song until one night I realized I had played a half dozen songs with the wrong patch. When I got on break people asked how I got the right sound on those songs, sounded just like the record! I had a moment of reflection, no one out there knew the difference, or cared unless they were musicians, and I wasn't playing for them anyway, they tend to criticize no matter what you do. I was straining my brain for nothing. For live gigs I simplified my presets and my life. Recording is a different game altogether, but you don't need all the switching stuff for that.

I use to obsess over nailing every aspect of every song until one night I realized I had played a half dozen songs with the wrong patch. When I got on break people asked how I got the right sound on those songs, sounded just like the record! I had a moment of reflection, no one out there knew the difference, or cared unless they were musicians, and I wasn't playing for them anyway, they tend to criticize no matter what you do. I was straining my brain for nothing. For live gigs I simplified my presets and my life. Recording is a different game altogether, but you don't need all the switching stuff for that.
I tend to agree, that’s why none of the FX in this preset are song specific. This preset generalizes the genre that I play. I still need different subdivisions though, and I still like to hear different types of delays (mod, digi, reverse ect...) though.

I tend to agree, that’s why none of the FX in this preset are song specific. This preset generalizes the genre that I play. I still need different subdivisions though, and I still like to hear different types of delays (mod, digi, reverse ect...) though.
I totally get that!

This this this!!! Had a similar but more embarrassing moment and came to basically the same conclusion. So if it's not absolutely spot on I don't obsess over it.

That is quite the preset. I don't have a III, so I don't have a clue how to help you, but I do have a question.

I notice you put your delays in parallel. Do you like how they sound that way (better than in series)? I tend towards putting them in series so the first one gets affected by the second, but I'm not very good at getting the modern P&W vibe.

Also, why does your volume block not control the plx and delay branch?

Thanks in advance!

That is an insane preset. I dont mean that good or bad. I mean its complex!
I think you can make a few adjustments within the parameters to cut down on one or two blocks??
I think better members, with more knowledge can assist you with that but as for me

IVE NEVER hit close to max, I’m always comfortably under 70%, lately I’ve also been trying to overload it on purpose, and it gets really close, but I run out ideas and blocks at that point, so as for me, to answer your OP

NO....but, of course its possible, everything has a limit...even with insanity,you can find patterns of some kind of order

That is quite the preset. I don't have a III, so I don't have a clue how to help you, but I do have a question.

I notice you put your delays in parallel. Do you like how they sound that way (better than in series)? I tend towards putting them in series so the first one gets affected by the second, but I'm not very good at getting the modern P&W vibe.

Also, why does your volume block not control the plx and delay branch?

Thanks in advance!
The reason my delays are set up in parallel is so that when I swap between them the repeats die away in a more controlled way, if you set them up serially the delay you are switching to also repeats the repeats on the delay you are switching from. These delays are set up as 1/8, dot 1/8 and 1/4 note. If I need a dual delay I have a scene set up to turn in two delays at once.

The volume block before the 3 delay group is used for two things: It bypasses all 3 delays at once and its CHB is a volume boost to increase the mix of my delays. The volume block I use for swells is earlier in the chain. I have an external switch that bypasses that volume pedal and turns on the fourth delay acting as a toggle between the three rhythmic delays and the fourth delay which is set up as a slap back or other analog sound.

That is an insane preset. I dont mean that good or bad. I mean its complex!
I think you can make a few adjustments within the parameters to cut down on one or two blocks??
I think better members, with more knowledge can assist you with that but as for me

IVE NEVER hit close to max, I’m always comfortably under 70%, lately I’ve also been trying to overload it on purpose, and it gets really close, but I run out ideas and blocks at that point, so as for me, to answer your OP

NO....but, of course its possible, everything has a limit...even with insanity,you can find patterns of some kind of order
The complexity of this preset is required in order to get the switching between sounds the way I want. I'm using a mutually exclusive group of 4 control switches to change gain levels so that my gain stays where I put it while changing scenes. Most of the EQs in this preset are flat and just used for level control and muting signals. I could probably eliminate some filters but it would make level control a workflow nightmare. The way it is now each gain level has a level control on the performance page which makes setting up the preset super easy.

The complexity of this preset is required in order to get the switching between sounds the way I want. I'm using a mutually exclusive group of 4 control switches to change gain levels so that my gain stays where I put it while changing scenes. Most of the EQs in this preset are flat and just used for level control and muting signals. I could probably eliminate some filters but it would make level control a workflow nightmare. The way it is now each gain level has a level control on the performance page which makes setting up the preset super easy.
If it works, then that’s awesome.

do you often make things complex at this level, like i mean regularly? Or is this a rare occurence?
I also notice, of course, you’re using dual amps, so you know, that right there is what 20%?

anyway, pretty cool, i also feel somewhat reassured that my ignorance is bliss (in that by using SUS beats my own made)basic knowledge compared to you advanced users......i wish i could build from the ground up like that but thats really complicated stuff

Back
Top Bottom