Whitney Houston found dead at age 48

The wife came down and told me about it. I don't usually keep real current on anything going on outside of my house or this forum.

I don't have a ton of fond memories of that era in terms of pop music and stuff, but I remember hearing her for the first time and just being completely awe struck. Sometimes talent transcends genres and she was one of those people that regardless of what you were into you took notice of her.

Oof...
blink.gif

RIP Whitney - reminds me of losing Karen Carpenter.. another incredible voice lost to..... ?

:(

I remember hearing her mother singing... as incredible as it may sound, I found she sang even better than her daughter.

Someone just posted this on another forum; I had never seen it. The best rendition I've ever heard live or produced.

I think this was her first single. A really elegant song and video. it's got an advertisement on the front of it, but it's worth it. She seems so sweet and innocent. And her voice is so damn good. And unlike so many modern singers, she's not milking the overdone emotion. B.. Brown really ruined her - but it was her free will to go down - we all have the choice of going toward the our light, or our darkness... Whitney Houston - Saving All My Love For You - YouTube

Carpenter, Houston, ... Nowhere near as tragic as Eva Cassidy for me. She still makes me cry on a lot of songs and I only discovered her after her death.
If I had known Karen better at the time, that would also have hit me hard.

+1 on Eva Cassidy. I, too, only found out about her after her death. In the current "voice" obsessed era, she would have been huge. It's weird that she seems like someone who didn't have an obvious genre for the record companies to plug her in. Now there are lots of people who are tweeners with great success (Norah Jones anyone?).

Eva sounds so great on so many things and can elicit tears from me as well. Her ability to connect with a song is as strong as it gets and gives her music a depth that's hard to get until you simply hear it. She wasn't tortured by success, but by cancer. Anyone who likes music and great singing should find "Songbird" and give it a listen. I'm not one often drawn to singers, but she's one of the all time greats who only got due after passing away.

http://www.amazon.com/Songbird-Eva-Cassidy/dp/B000006AKD

You'll be hard pressed to find any CD on Amazon with more outpouring of love for it than this.

Last edited:
Whitney was my all time favorite female vocalist. Outstanding powerful delivery and range. Mariah Carey would probably be my second. It's too bad she makes crappy music. It's a shame Whitney died so young.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom