Whitesnake 1987 John Sykes patch for AFII. (Credit to Leon Todd)

I took the time to duplicate Leon Todd's John Sykes patch for the AFIII, on my AFII.

It's SUPER close. Not claiming it's absolutely identical but I don't know how to make it closer. I did tweak up the reverb a little bit.

It's a simple patch with three scenes. Scene 3 is clean.

This is my first shared patch. Please critique it and suggest how I can do better.

This patch is for the Axe-FX II.

Attachments

• J Sykes 1987.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Turned cab on. Turned on the noise gate with a low threshold. Hit delay. Had to crank down the level on the USA Lead Brt + amp a little to prevent out 1 clipping. You know, the typical tweaks. Sounds pretty good. Might mess around with different cabs. Overall, I played through it about 20 min and didn't want to stop. Amazing amount of distortion out of that amp.

I don't generally use the cabs because I don't have an FRFR system. I use guitar cabs and I don't usually find that stacking an IR on top of a real cabinet makes for a sound that I like very much. A Marshall 1960A (clone of one) loaded with Greenbacks is one of my go-to cabinets these days, and the other is an EVM-12L Series II in a slightly bigger version of a Thiele cab. (Better bottom end results.)

The greatest thing about the Fractal is, of course, that you have virtually limitless options to make it what you want it to be.

I was just listening through cans. Wife's at home today, so trying to keep the peace. What are you powering your cabs with? I don't have true FRFR, either. I have a pair of JBL SRX-12p's that sound decent. I also have a pair of 1960A's (one with greenbacks and one with GT75s) that I use the 4CM to a DSL100 and a 1987x 50watt head. With a little tweaking that can sound righteous!! Of course, I have my own fxloop patches to run those and that veers way off of the modeled amps. Just using the axe for fx in that config. I've got QSC and Crown stereo amps I can use to power the cabs. I'm sure they colour the sound a little but very useable with most patches with cab sim turned off.

I'm using a little Alesis RA100 stereo power amp installed in the Mission Audio rack cabinet right under the Axe-FX II.
100 WPC at 4 ohms, 75 into 8 ohms. The 4x12 is wired for stereo or switchable to mono. My second 4x12 is not part of this rig at the moment because I don't care much for the G12P80s that are in it at the moment. It needs more greenbacks! Actually I do consider the G12P80 to be a pretty good speaker....in a Fender combo amp. It's a nice fit for those.

Things do get fun when I switch over and run a pair of 1x12 EV cabs. But I have to tweak the EQ a little when I do that because they're such different sounding speakers. (But they're my OTHER favorite speaker, too.)

I COULD run FRFR by hooking into my stereo or home theater system. But I haven't actually tried that yet.

Back
Top Bottom