White Screen Early Detection and Self Exam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diddleybo

Inspired
What can I do to prevent the White Screen Disease?
What are the warning signs and what to look for?

I have a few gigs coming up, and I honestly don't know what I'd do if this happened to me!

I had mine for 3 months, no issue or warning signs. Was at the gig, was running for a few hours and poof.

Have a backup.

You shouldn't worry about.

As you should in all professional situations: carry a backup.

But this isn't a problem that's rampant and you shouldn't let it impede your enjoyment of your Fractal Audio gear.

Sorry if I missed a more comprehensive thread... I'm not a pro and, while annoying, I'm not going to have a backup plan. FAS warranty and patience will be the plan .

Than said, I think I read that is a 'display failure', correct? Has FAS determined if there is a lot issue or if the failures are within the statistically expected failures?

I guess I'm wondering, even if we dont see the issue yet, whether FAS and first run buyers should be considering a proactive display swap.

Just a thought. No clue on percentage of failures relative to sales... maybe concern is completely unnecessary.

The number of display failures can be counted on one hand. Much ado about nothing.
Thank you, FractalAudio!

What if I'm at a show, turned it up and then see the White Screen? What kind of First Aid should I perform? Should I open up the III and look for a loose cable?

Thank you, FractalAudio!

What if I'm at a show, turned it up and then see the White Screen? What kind of First Aid should I perform? Should I open up the III and look for a loose cable?

Have a backup ;) but nothing you can do, it's a failure on the board. Some had whitescreen and total lockup, very glad mine still had audio and not locked up. Putting my II back into service as a backup.

Of course! Ideally, Yes! Absolutely! But around here, I can barely get a Line Check, let alone a Sound Check, so I don't want to carry a backup that will not get a sound check.

So it's official that It's a failure on the board and nothing I can do?

Of course! Ideally, Yes! Absolutely! But around here, I can barely get a Line Check, let alone a Sound Check, so I don't want to carry a backup that will not get a sound check.

So it's official that It's a failure on the board and nothing I can do?

Amazing that we’ve had a single digital failure out of thousands of units and we are talking about it like it’s not an “if” but a “when” issue...

Get soemthing like an Atomic Amplifire-box for a backup. It’s the size of a stomp box with amp models, delay, comp, reverb and cab modeling. It can even load IR’s. It’s essentially the perfect backup rig. Only costs $299 and sounds darn good, could do a whole show with it. Got modeled Friedman’s, twin and deluxes etc. Problem solved

Amazing that we’ve had a single digital failure out of thousands of units and we are talking about it like it’s not an “if” but a “when” issue...

Get something like an Atomic Amplifire-box for a backup. It’s the size of a stomp box with amp models, delay, comp, reverb and cab modeling. It can even load IR’s. It’s essentially the perfect backup rig. Only costs $299 and sounds darn good, could do a whole show with it. Got modeled Friedman’s, twin and deluxes etc. Problem solved
So there's been only 1 Whtie Screen? I guess that's still "can be counted on one hand"!
Also, I didn't know we should be talking about something like it's an "if" but a "when".
Well, when you're playing a show, there's nothing "if" about it.
When I turn the III up, when I pick the strings, when I hear the note, then it's a show.

Once again, my situation is that I only have to rely on my III. My backup is another liability until it gets a sound check.

Problem solved? So your Atomic Amplifire-box will never fail? Why do we need the III, then? Haha!

It's been made clear there is not "White Screen" issue. So let's give that a rest.

Keep in mind that every electronic device that consists of many components can fail.
It's alway wise to bring a backup device of some sorts.

Ok, then. There's no "White Screen" issue!

Agreed. anything can/will fail. That's why we come to the forum and talk about it, right?

And yes. It'd be wise to have a backup. But I don't know how many opening bands out there get a sound check for their backups at a show, certainly not my band. So if I'm bringing my backup with knowing that it will not even come out of the case, then it's not so wise.

I was one who had a screen/unit lockup (at home, not on a gig).

I've also had a few high $$ Amps fail at gig's. What do you do?
You have a backup solution, like you would within reason for any piece of critical gear.
Any piece of gear can fail at any time for any number of reasons.

Your Solution can be as simple as a small practice amp and a couple of pedals.

BTW, Fractal took care of my problem very quickly. By contrast, I had to drag my
<other Mfr's> amps to a repair shop an hour away and wait a couple weeks
to get them back. I also know guys who bring one guitar to a gig. Just asking for trouble.

I've been using my Ultra, & II live for years with no major issues.
Too put off purchase because of a random failure is silly.

If it's in your plan, just buy it.

My backup is a simple Tech 21 preamp pedal, with cab modeling.
If my rig fails it will take 1 or 2 minutes to switch.
Is the sound comparable? Of course not.
Will it let me finish the gig? Sure.
Will the audience notice? Many won’t.

P.S. My Axe-Fx has never failed me, since 2009.

Um dude, I suggested the Firebox as an inexpensive and compact backup solution if your worried. I in no way suggested it was a replacement for the III.

Anything can fail. Turn on your amp, “pop” goes the transformer and your done for. Tubes can blow, you can trip over a cord and drop your rack, you can get hit by a bus on your way to the gig, you could get food poisioning and be unable to take the stage etc etc

If the biggest worry is the “white screen of death” you’ve got it pretty easy

If anyone is so worried about the sound quality of a backup, or playing gigs so important it matters, then do what the pro touring acts do and have a duplicate rig you can switch to on the fly. Problem solved lol

Let’s face it, 99% of crowds most of us play for will not notice if we played a III or an original POD

Heck, 99% of crowds I’ve played for could care less if I just took my busted gear and went home without playing a note LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom